giving linux a shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giving linux a shot?

Thinking of getting linux on my pc,Not sure if its worth it but I think it's worth a shot because I really want to try it out. I'm not usre how difficult it will be or how I can connect to my home network or install things liek my printer or mouse. Any thoughts suggestion...........????????

(im thinking of ubuntu linux)

I just started using a ubuntu version for one of my laptops and had no problems at all. You understand the UI at once, all it took to get the network and internet running was to plug in the network cable. Since that was two days ago I cant give you any expert opinion but since it is free software I would say give it a shoot.

Comment

From everything I've seen ( from being in the field), Linux is way more over-rated than it's true worth. Your BIGGEST problem will be with adapter drivers - cameras, blue tooth devices etc.etc.

Comment

ubuntu lets you create a Live Desktop CD. You don't have to install anything and the OS runs from the CD. It's a nice way of seeing if you really want to switch to Linux.

I run both Linux and Windows at Home. Linux is slightly overrated as an OS but the greatest advantage to my mind is that unlike Windows it is not a nag. The amount of crap windows thinks it needs to do is mind boggling. Unfortunately Linux doesn't run games. Otherwise I'd throw away windows in a heartbeat.
        "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by chankya View Post
          the greatest advantage to my mind is that unlike Windows it is not a nag. The amount of crap windows thinks it needs to do is mind boggling. Unfortunately Linux doesn't run games. Otherwise I'd throw away windows in a heartbeat.
          What stuff are you talking about?

Comment

I think Linux is great for just browsing and whatnot but as Chankya said it dosent run games so therefore I just stick with Windows.

Is it possible for a PC game developer to make Linux games or is it just that they dont think a market exists?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
              I think Linux is great for just browsing and whatnot but as Chankya said it dosent run games so therefore I just stick with Windows.

Is it possible for a PC game developer to make Linux games or is it just that they dont think a market exists?
              take a look here:
              Linux gaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by urmomma158 View Post
                Thinking of getting linux on my pc,Not sure if its worth it but I think it's worth a shot because I really want to try it out. I'm not usre how difficult it will be or how I can connect to my home network or install things liek my printer or mouse. Any thoughts suggestion...........????????

(im thinking of ubuntu linux)
                Give PCLinux a shot.

I just saw it at a friend's place and he showed us this website:

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

You can find all sorts of different distribution on that site. Currently PCLinux is the most popular download.

I downloaded the iso and tried it on one of my old PCs. It gives you a choice to install it to a hard drive, or USB drive. Or you can just run it from CD (very slow). Even if you just run it from CD, you can still have your network access to browse the web. It's very cool.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                  What stuff are you talking about?
                  All the services I don't need that I keep turning off and having to go through the registry to weed out stuff that just doesn't go away. Stuff like that. More like an annoyance really.

Incidentally do you know why Linux can do without registries? I've never really understood what Windows needs registries for.

Have you tried Vista? I got my hands on it for $40 just before I left school. Very heavy OS. Looks nice though. I've heard of users of 64bit Vista having problems with running legacy stuff. I'm running the 32 bit version.
                  "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Working...
                  X