No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Philly pics are from spring/summer 2007. The Bremerton pics are older than the hills, with the Camden, Sacramento, Mississippi and South Carolina visible - all of which have been scrapped and the Knox and David R. Ray which have been sunk.

Dont worry, the Canon is there - moored to the Port side of the Lauren. In fact, the Canon is still in Philly, supposedly having arrangements made to be towed to Sheboygan along with the USS Edson
    Last edited by Rumrunner; 16 Jul 09,, 16:50.
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Are there any new pics, I mean from 2009 of the current state of Iowa??? I'd like to see that she hasn't gone down hill at a rapid rate of knotts.

Comment

Best bet is to surf through the west coast ship preservation sites like the Red Oak Vic, Jeremiah O'Brien etc to see if they have any pictures from their recent trips to Suisun Bay.

Of course, you can always check on PMARS, which has some old & recent pics of the Iowa.
        PMARS Ship Record Detail - IOWA

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
          Best bet is to surf through the west coast ship preservation sites like the Red Oak Vic, Jeremiah O'Brien etc to see if they have any pictures from their recent trips to Suisun Bay.

Of course, you can always check on PMARS, which has some old & recent pics of the Iowa.
          PMARS Ship Record Detail - IOWA
          *Have one better ask RustyBattleship.;)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Incidentally, more recent studies have concluded that the mothball fleet in Suisun bay is not a major source of contamination in the Bay. Naturally, the Chronicle has put the worst possible spin on the report in its headline:

Mothball fleet's flaking paint taints shellfish.

The Suisun Bay fleet is almost entirely old junk like break bulk cargo ships from the early 60s. There is a proposal floating around to open a ship breaking facility on Mare Island, though I am not sue how far it has gone.

Comment

Its funny to read such reactionary news story crapola written by somebody who has probably never even seen the SBRF.

When I was at the James River Reserve Fleet this April the ships were quite literally alive with seabirds. Every ship had at least 5-10 Osprey nests in it and there were usually 40-60 cormorants sunning and resting on each ship. Some environmental catastrophe.
              Attached Files

Comment

It is funny to see that the report mentions no major environmental impact, but the Chronicle headline is designed to make the reader think the opposite. :) It is true that many of these ships seem to be at risk of sinking at their mooring if not scrapped soon. I believe the Mare Island facility is looking for stimulus dollars to open up and start scrapping.

Comment

Does anybody have any recently taken pictures from TAO Andrew J Higgins mothballed in suisun bay?
                  Chilean navy has bought her for 50 million dollars plus refitting and is expected to be handed over at the begining of next year

Comment

^^ Nothing has been recently posted on the ship's PMARS page to indicate she has left the reserve fleet yet. PMARS Ship Record Detail - ANDREW J. HIGGINS

While the PMARS page is often a few days/weeks behind actual events, once the ship departs under tow to the conversion yard it should appear there. Once she's under tow or in the yard I'd expect pics to start appearing Chilean Navy and military forum sites.

Comment

Dont worry, the Canon is there - moored to the Port side of the Lauren. In fact, the Canon is still in Philly, supposedly having arrangements made to be towed to Sheboygan along with the USS Edson

Oh, Im not worried I see the reserve fleet every day (except saturdays)

Yep, Cannon is slated to be donated as a museum ship. Neat little ships they were for their time.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Nice, I damn near drove off the bridge the first time I went past the Philly NISMF trying to see what was in there.

I'm glad to see the Cannon is being preserved. There are far too few memorials to the small boat navy these days, and the Cannon will make a nice museum for her class, now that she's the last in her original configuration. I think the former Chehalis (PG-94) and Grand Rapids (PG-98) are in service as research craft with the Naval Sea Systems Command in Panama City, but they both have likely been pretty heavily modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                          ^^ Nothing has been recently posted on the ship's PMARS page to indicate she has left the reserve fleet yet. PMARS Ship Record Detail - ANDREW J. HIGGINS

While the PMARS page is often a few days/weeks behind actual events, once the ship departs under tow to the conversion yard it should appear there. Once she's under tow or in the yard I'd expect pics to start appearing Chilean Navy and military forum sites.
                          Dear Rumrunner:
                          I apprecciated very much your quick anwer.
                          By the way are there any new pics, I mean from 2009 of the current state of Higgins? the posted picture is pretty old ( 2005) .
                          I īll be awaiting news from TAO 190 A. Higgings departing
                          Thank you again
                          Last edited by feedbarcos; 20 Jul 09,, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            Here's the most expensive catamaran ever built in the world, USS Pigeon. With the decommissioning of her, her sister ship Ortolan and both DSRV's we no longer have a rescue system for submarines that have bottomed out but did not go below crush depth (as the Russian subs always seem to do),
                            The Ortolan was recently sold for scrapping out of James River Reserve Fleet, part of a 2-ship deal which included the last WWII-configured APA, the USS Gage (APA-168). As it breaks down, each was sold for:

USS Ortolan: $325,090.00 (Or $4.38/cwt // $87.72/ton)
                            USS Gage $564,910.00 (Or $4.10/cwt // $82.19/ton)

Both are awaiting their respective tows to Brownsville and scrapping at ESCO Marine.

Comment

USS Gage (APA-168) was towed from the Reserve Fleet at Fort Eustis on July 30th bound for Browsville where she will be scrapped at Esco Marine.

Gage is the last surviving WWII-configured Haskell Class Attack Transport, based on the VC2-S-AP5 Victory Ship hull design. A combat Veteran of Okinawa and a member of the US occupation forces postwar in the Phillipines, Japan, and China the Gage also brought several thousand US Vets home as part of Operation Magic Carpet. Following her decom in 1947, she was layberthed in Norfolk for 11 years before shifting to the James River Reserve Fleet in 1958, where she remained until last Thursday.

Here's a few pics I took of her last April when I was aboard her.

Attached Files

Comment

.........and here she is underway on her final voyage to the breakers

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X