ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghost fleet

I have been curious about the ghost fleet and where the ships are stored for a long time and would appreciate any links or info
    thanks

Originally posted by howieskiv View Post
    I have been curious about the ghost fleet and where the ships are stored for a long time and would appreciate any links or info
    thanks
    Are you referring to James River and Suisin Bay?

Comment

Siuson Bay, October 2006 after inspecting USS Iowa.

Ghost Fleet 1:
      Attached Files
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Ghost Fleet 2:
        Attached Files

Comment

I thought those ships were supposed to be kept in a condition that they could be fast reactivated when needed but uhm..ok they dont really look like that...

Comment

USS Mispillion with Sea Shadow barge alongside. Part of large ghost fleet in Siuson Bay off of Benicia, California.
            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice photos. I agree with Tarek though. Those ships look to be in decrepit condition.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

If there is no money to keep them in a somewhat good condition why not scrap them completly? I mean its not like they are useful for anything in that conditition and it must hurt like hell for anyone who was on board of one of those to see them like this..

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                  If there is no money to keep them in a somewhat good condition why not scrap them completly? I mean its not like they are useful for anything in that conditition and it must hurt like hell for anyone who was on board of one of those to see them like this..
                  I think they just look bad on the outside, which is not too much trouble to clean up. What's important is how the inside is maintained. I'm sure Rusty can tell us more about it.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Because they're worth more assembled than disassembled, maybe the US Navy can offer to sell these ships minus weaponry and electronic systems to other allied third world countries.
                    I have no idea what I'm doing. Honestly!

Comment

Hey cRusty, aren't all those ships basically in "safe storage" meaning they're just rusting away?

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                        Hey cRusty, aren't all those ships basically in "safe storage" meaning they're just rusting away?
                        With the exception of the Iowa, in a word, YES.

Actually, the Mispillion is no longer there. She has been towed to the Gulf Coast for scrapping.

Not all the ships have dehumidification (D/H) systems on them. Iowa has 9 machines all in operating order with even a back up generator on deck should shore power be lost.

Here's the most expensive catamaran ever built in the world, USS Pigeon. With the decommissioning of her, her sister ship Ortolan and both DSRV's we no longer have a rescue system for submarines that have bottomed out but did not go below crush depth (as the Russian subs always seem to do),
                        Attached Files

Comment

Iowa is still kept up in fair shape. Whenever MARAD can requisition some more paint or decking they put it on the Iowa.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some of the ships don't look too bad there:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RustyBattleship; 27 Sep 07,, 07:15.

Comment

But they can go from bad
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X