No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marad has signed recycling contracts with All Star Metals for the Cape Breton and the Cape Borda. Total cost is roughly $1.9m.

Mare Island Drydock will clean both the vessels before they are towed away. Cape Breton from 18-25 July and Cape Borda from 25-31 July. Total cost just over $1m.

These are the last two of the fifty seven vessels specified in the 2010 court order. The deadline for their removal was 30th September this year.

SBRF vessels Cape Fear and Cape Jacob are scheduled to be downgraded to disposal status in FY18.
    Last edited by tyrosalt; 25 Jun 17,, 09:17. Reason: Correction of ship name

Comment

• All of the remaining Austin class ships were stricken from the NVR on November 13.

That list includes:
      Cleveland (LPD-7)
      Dubuque (LPD-8)
      Denver (LPD-9)
      Juneau (LPD-10)
      Nashville (LPD-13)
      Ponce (ASFB(I)-15)

Shreveport (LPD-12) still exists in mothballs but was stricken back in 2007.

With the striking of Kitty Hawk on October 20, this leaves only the 3 Tarawa class LHA's, 2 Supply class AOE's and 2 Safeguard class ARS's in Cat B reserve.

Comment

• Reactivating five LHA’s (if we even had that many) would have been easier than bringing back Kitty Hawk.

Comment

• Using the aerial view on Google, the Suisun Bay anchorage is now completely empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebard View Post
            Using the aerial view on Google, the Suisun Bay anchorage is now completely empty.
            There has to be something wrong with that view. Marad's latest NDRF fleet list has 9 vessels in the SBRF at the end of August (Cape Bover, Cape Fear, Cape Girardeau, Cape Jacob, Green Mountain State, Petersburg, Triumph, USCG Iris and Planetree). It's impossible that they could all have been removed since then - and where to?
            Last edited by tyrosalt; 23 Nov 17,, 11:32. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Can't be empty as I drove past it three weeks ago and counted at least six large ships from the limited bridge view. I also know the Cape Mohican was just moved up there recently from her position across from the Hornet and outboard the Cape Henry. On Google I just counted eight large ships and four small ones besides numerous barges.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Can't be empty as I drove past it three weeks ago and counted at least six large ships from the limited bridge view. I also know the Cape Mohican was just moved up there recently from her position across from the Hornet and outboard the Cape Henry. On Google I just counted eight large ships and four small ones besides numerous barges.
                Sorry for the confusion, but here's my view. I can't argue with your view from the bridge.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	sbrf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1471833
                Attached Files

Comment

• Current inventory before the Borda and Brenton removed. Besides passing by the anchorage every few months, where I can see the ships, we also stay on top of it down on the Hornet. Those ships are in our backyard so we are allowed to go parts hunting on them. As a result I am always pestering the admin guy who deals with them as to when we can go back to ships we haven't been on. We have been all over Borda and Brenton and need to wait for other ships to be down classified. One can't miss Cape Fear from the Martinez-Vallejo Bridge given her size.

May, 2017 inventory

SS Cape Borda (AK-5058)
                  SS Cape Bover (AK-5057)
                  SS Cape Breton (AK-5056)
                  SS Cape Fear (T-AK-5061)
                  SS Cape Girardeau (T-AK-2039)
                  SS Cape Jacob (T-AK-5029)
                  SS FB-62 (APL-24)
                  SS Green Mountain State (T-ACS-9)
                  USNS Triumph (T-AGOS-4)
                  USCGC Iris (WLB 395)
                  USCGC Planetree (WLB 307)

Comment

• My wife and I were in New Orleans over the weekend and you can see the sad remains of the Thomas S. Gates (CG-51) from the High Rise Bridge over the Industrial Canal. It's not the best picture, my wife took it with my Iphone while I was driving. Her superstructure is gone and she's stern first in the finishing slip. I circled the ship in the 2nd copy.

Name:	Gates.png
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	1475719

Name:	Gates2.png
Size:	846.0 KB
ID:	1475720

Comment

• Hopefully, they scavenged her hard for parts!

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                        Hopefully, they scavenged her hard for parts!
                        They did.

https://www.rhoadsinc.com/wp-content...iconderoga.pdf

I had a copy of the report with pictures but I can't find it right now.

Comment

• Recent article...

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/...rts/982743001/

Comment

• The ex-JFK (CV-67) has now been listed for scrapping.

The JFI Rhode Island project wanted to moor the carrier on Pier 2 at Newport Naval Station. Naval Facilities rejected that idea and as the ship had no alternative berth NAVSEA cancelled the donation hold. The race is now on to find another berth and persuade the navy to change its position.

The project's website is: https://www.ussjfkri.org/
                            Last edited by tyrosalt; 07 Jan 18,, 17:57.

Comment

• Marad contracted All Star Metals, Brownsville to recycle the USCG cutters Iris (WLB-395) and Planetree (WLB-307) on 10th September. All Star will be paid $1,359,400.00.

The vessels will be cleaned at Mare Island before they leave from there as a double tow.

I will update this post as soon as I get the dates for the dry docking. The cutters have to leave within 14 days of undocking.
                              Last edited by tyrosalt; 14 Sep 18,, 10:30. Reason: Release of full contract details with All Star Metals

Comment

• Originally posted by tyrosalt View Post
                                Marad contracted All Star Metals, Brownsville to recycle the USCG cutters Iris (WLB-395) and Planetree (WLB-307) on 10th September. All Star will be paid $1,359,400.00.

The vessels will be cleaned at Mare Island before they leave from there as a double tow.

I will update this post as soon as I get the dates for the dry docking. The cutters have to leave within 14 days of undocking.
                                I'm not sure why, but I periodically use Google's or Bing's satellite view on their maps to see what the latest images are from the breakers in Brownsville, Texas. I'm not the type to rubberneck when passing an accident on the road, but I feel compelled to look at the ships.

Comment

Working...
                                X