Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VaDon View Post
    Hey Guys,

I just found this site, and quickly registered so I could ask for your help. My father served on the USS Papago, an ocean tug, during WWII. I have been doing some research on this ship, and the last record I can find is from 1997.

I have a picture of the Papago in this ghost fleet in Virginia.

Does anybody know what ships are still there? I fear this ship has been scraped by now. I would love to get close enough one time to lay my eyes on her.

My dad passed away in 1993, and I find myself seeking all the information I can find about his naval service.

Thanks for any info.

VaDon
    PROPERTY MANAGEMENT & ARCHIVE RECORD SYSTEM : NATIONAL DEFENSE RESERVE FLEET INVENTORY

Hope it helps.

Comment

Does any nation besides the U.S. keep a reserve fleet?

Comment

England does just upriver from Portsmouth, and I know the Greeks keep a few older ships no longer in service in Souda Bay
        You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Mothballed fleets around the world

I would suppose that the ex-Soviet fleet laying in the waters along the Baltic coast are not really a "mothballed reserve fleet"? ;)
          " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
            I would suppose that the ex-Soviet fleet laying in the waters along the Baltic coast are not really a "mothballed reserve fleet"? ;)
            One could suppose that, and also suppose the same thing for the dozens of ships they have littering the inlets around Murmansk. All in 'reserve' in some shape or form.

Ships kept in true reserve status have a significant amount of equipment onboard to maintain humidity control in internal spaces, prevent flooding and have regular maintenance crew visits to turn over their prop shafts and perform inspections.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
              One could suppose that, and also suppose the same thing for the dozens of ships they have littering the inlets around Murmansk. All in 'reserve' in some shape or form.

Ships kept in true reserve status have a significant amount of equipment onboard to maintain humidity control in internal spaces, prevent flooding and have regular maintenance crew visits to turn over their prop shafts and perform inspections.
              Like say half a dozen aircraft carriers in the US and UK? ;) Along with Amphibious ships and Replenishment ships.
              Last edited by StevoJH; 22 Oct 09,, 15:08.

Comment

You mean like this?

"Murmansk" A Russian Sverdlov class cruiser built 1955 one of the last all gun cruisers decommitioned 1987 scrapped 1995 Lost 1994 while in tow to India for scrap along the berents coast between North cape and Tromso is now aground on Soeroey Finmark.
                Attached Files
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Hows about a pre WWII Catalina flying boat.;)

In of all places a beach in Saudi Arabia. Off the Straits of Tiran.
                  Attached Files
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

That looks like a warbird collector's dream. Pre-war configuration, easy access and relatively good condition.... wonder why it's still there?

Comment

Probably full of scorpions....

Comment

Finally, after years of delay, action on the Suisun bay fleet:

Warships near San Francisco Bay to be recycled

I guess the plan to open a ship breaking facility at Mare Island is dead, since they plan to clean the hulls in SF and then tow the ships to Brownsville.

Comment

When I was last at the JRRF the director of fleet operations said that the large scale scrapping program of the older ships there was wrapping up and that Suisun Bay was next to be thinned.

With that in mind, I'm willing to venture that the following ships are about to meet their ends:

Ex - USNS Mission Santa Ynez (T-AO-134)
                          Ex - USS Mispillion (AO-105)
                          Ex - USNS Ponchatoula (T-AO-148)
                          Ex - USS Kawishiwi (AO-146)
                          Ex - USNS Hassayampa (T-AO-145)
                          Ex - USS Cimarron (AO-177)
                          Ex - USS Kansas City (AOR-3)
                          Ex - USS Wabash (AOR-5)

Ex - USS Thomaston (LSD-28)
                          Ex - USS Point Defiance (LSD-31)
                          Ex - USS Taluga (AKA-62)

Ex - USS Nereus (AS-17)
                          Ex - USS Holland (AS-32)

Ex - USNS H. H. Hess (T-AGS-38)

Ex - USNS General John Pope (T-AP-110)
                          Ex - USNS General Edwin D. Patrick (T-AP-124)

M/T Gettysburg / Ex - Esso Gettysburg
                          SS American Reliance
                          SS American Racer
                          SS Dawn
                          SS Earlham Victory
                          SS Rider Victory
                          SS Winthrop Victory

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                            When I was last at the JRRF the director of fleet operations said that the large scale scrapping program of the older ships there was wrapping up and that Suisun Bay was next to be thinned.

With that in mind, I'm willing to venture that the following ships are about to meet their ends:

Ex - USNS Mission Santa Ynez (T-AO-134)
                            Ex - USS Mispillion (AO-105)
                            Ex - USNS Ponchatoula (T-AO-148)
                            Ex - USS Kawishiwi (AO-146)
                            Ex - USNS Hassayampa (T-AO-145)
                            Ex - USS Cimarron (AO-177)
                            Ex - USS Kansas City (AOR-3)
                            Ex - USS Wabash (AOR-5)

Ex - USS Thomaston (LSD-28)
                            Ex - USS Point Defiance (LSD-31)
                            Ex - USS Taluga (AKA-62)

Ex - USS Nereus (AS-17)
                            Ex - USS Holland (AS-32)

Ex - USNS H. H. Hess (T-AGS-38)

Ex - USNS General John Pope (T-AP-110)
                            Ex - USNS General Edwin D. Patrick (T-AP-124)

M/T Gettysburg / Ex - Esso Gettysburg
                            SS American Reliance
                            SS American Racer
                            SS Dawn
                            SS Earlham Victory
                            SS Rider Victory
                            SS Winthrop Victory
                            The article I read said the first two ships slated to be pulled from Suisun Bay are the Earlham Victory and the Pan American Victory, both, as the name indicates, old Victory ships built in the Richmond shipyards in 1945 (my grandfather worked there during WWII).
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                              The article I read said the first two ships slated to be pulled from Suisun Bay are the Earlham Victory and the Pan American Victory, both, as the name indicates, old Victory ships built in the Richmond shipyards in 1945 (my grandfather worked there during WWII).
                              Not surprising that the Victorys are the first to go. The Mission Santa Ynez will probably follow next, being that they are the oldest ships in the fleet and have the highest quality pre-nuclear steel in them.

The rationale, at least in the JRRF was to get rid of the highest risk sinkers and leakers first, which are usually the older ships in the fleet.

Comment

It's about time to get rid of some junk. There is absolutely zero chance that any of these ships could possibly be re-commissioned by the navy. They could be used as museums, but someone will have to pay for them.
                                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                                X