X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
    .........and here she is underway on her final voyage to the breakers

[ATTACH]15526[/ATTACH]

By the way. Any news from TAO 190 Andrew Higgins?

Comment

nothing yet on her status
      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

nothing yet on her status
        Could you please let me know if is she still moored there or is under refit elsewhere. Do you have the chance to take a look?
        Supposedly will be delivered to the chilean navy mids next year
        Regards

Comment

The Higgins is over in Suisun Bay, I'm on the East Coast - maybe somebody who lives/works in that area and is on this board may be of assistance. Being that she's now a MARAD ship, I'd expect the pre-transfer work to be done in local non-usn shipyard, and I believe the closest to Suisun Bay able to handle the job would be Cascade General in Portland, where a number of ships either entering or leaving the Reserve Fleet are sent.

link:
          Cascade General: Ship Repair For Marine Vessels / Boats

Comment

This is my first post to the forum. Thought I'd let you know the current situation of the MARAD ships currently moored up at Graythorp Yard on the outskirts of Hartlepool. This is home to Able UK's, Teesside Environmental Reclamation & Recycling Centre (TERRC).

Able UK were awarded the full planning permissions and environment permits last year. So the go ahead of scrapping ships is starting to happen after 5 years of delays due to a small group of individuals protesting (who were ill informed, spreading ill informed information and scare stories).

Caloosahatchee, Canisteo, Canopus & Compass Island from the US MARAD Fleet, so called "Ghost Ships". These are accompanied by 3 British vessels and the French Aircraft Carrier Clemenceau awaiting scrapping.

I personally hope that with everything in place at TERRC, Able UK will be able to attract more MARAD ships in the future. I hope for some of the Aircraft Carriers in the coming years, Please. ;)

The Cofferdam has been built and is complete also there is an internal bund built. Remdial work on the MARAD ships has been carried out, once the dock is dry the waste will be taken off then scrapping can start. It is understood from press reports here that the MARAD ships will have been completey scrapped by December this year.

I hope you enjoy the shots.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JonHare View Post
              This is my first post to the forum. Thought I'd let you know the current situation of the MARAD ships currently moored up at Graythorp Yard on the outskirts of Hartlepool. This is home to Able UK's, Teesside Environmental Reclamation & Recycling Centre (TERRC).
              Welcome to the board!

Head on over to the Intro Forum and tell us about yourself! :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I did contact MARAD about retrieving artifacts from the USS Mispillion (AO-105). They usually stow such items on the APL that serves as their offices, life jacket issue, hardhat issue, etc. They told me the artifacts are still on board and Mispillion has been given another two year reprieve.

The Mispillion Veterans Assoc have asked me (as President of Friends of the Navy) that the next time I take an inspection team up there to retrieve the artifacts for them.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Welcome JonHare, and great pics. I'm still surprised those ships are sitting there unscrapped because of some lead paint and asbestos (and by some, I mean tons). I figured by the time they dragged the Clemenceau over that Able UK would have had the permits and related whatnot to get cutting on the USN ships. Ah well. Still sad to see such old battlewagons get cut up.

Rusty - Have you seen the PMARS site for the Mispillion? While it does not have any catalouged artifacts from the ship per-se the SRBF warehouse certainly will.
                  PMARS Ship Record Detail - MISPILLION

Comment

For those interested parties, here is the present listing of the ever-dwindling James River Reserve Fleet, with the only exception being that the former USS Cape Cod (AD-42) was just sold for scrapping.

I'll be heading down for the 2nd time this year from Sept 20-23rd to pick at the USS Sylvania and USS Shenandoah for spares and electrical cable for my ship, so I'll throw some pics up here of the trip.

Attached Files

Comment

From what I understand Philly will be loosing one of three destroyers in the basin as a artificial reef. I'll see if I can find anything/;)
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Maybe its the Radford? The Charles F. Adams is there too, seemingly on a perpetual donation hold for a museum group in Jacksonville.

Comment

Maybe its the Radford? The Charles F. Adams is there too, seemingly on a perpetual donation hold for a museum group in Jacksonville.
                          From what rumor holds its DD946 the Edson a Forrest Sherman class.;)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Wow, I hope thats not true. She's in far better shape than either the Radford, Adams or Forrest Sherman, all of which are still there.

I remember going on the Edson as a little kid when she was with the Intrepid. From what I can find Sheboygan is applying to get her and the former USS Canon towed up there as museum ships, but those applications were sent in long before the economic toilet flush.

Sad end to a Veteran ship, NHL and a member of the NRHP if she does get reefed though.

Comment

HIGGINS left Suisun Bay on Sept 24th,. to begin refurbishing:
                              US Navy link.

Comment

Here's a link and some pics from my most recent trip down to the James River Reserve Fleet 2 weeks ago.

James River Reserve Fleet - Sept 2009 - a set on Flickr

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Rumrunner; 05 Oct 09,, 14:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X