Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To worse
    Attached Files
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Thats really bad to see. Bet it hurts like hell to see your ship in that condition :( poor girls.

Any reason they keep the Iowa in better condition? Or just because they like it?

Comment

Are these some of the same ships (4) that were towed to Hartlepool UK for dismantling , app 4 years ago, and i believe are still there as a licence has not been issued to the firm to dismantle them ( could have by now tho ) ?
        Last edited by tankie; 27 Sep 07,, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
          Thats really bad to see. Bet it hurts like hell to see your ship in that condition :( poor girls.

Any reason they keep the Iowa in better condition? Or just because they like it?
          Perhaps because she is still listed as a Cat B mobile asset and must be maintained until removed from the register.;)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Are these some of the same ships (4) that were towed to Hartlepool UK for dismantling , app 4 years ago, and i believe are still there as a licence has not been issued to the firm to dismantle them ( could have by now tho ) ?
            These photos were taken just last October in 2006 after we finished our second inspection and evaluation of the Iowa. Only the MARAD people know exactly which ship is which. However, when asked about certain ships, they would point them out for us so we could photograph them.

This is in Siusun Bay just off of Benicia, California (up the river and east of Vallejo and Mare Island).

No, they were not tour guides but as they were manuevering their water taxi from one group of ships to the other to pick up other MARAD workers we got lucky with the views.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Perhaps because she is still listed as a Cat B mobile asset and must be maintained until removed from the register.;)
              That is correct as well as both California Senators want the ship put SOMEWHERE in California as a museum. So when authorized visitors or inspection parties (such as mine) board the ship, there won't be any complaints about totally ignoring it.

I must say, though MARAD funds are limited and once got an unqualified sub-contractor, they are doing a tremendous amount of work to keep the ship preserved.

My hat is off to them.

Comment

Hey Guys,

I just found this site, and quickly registered so I could ask for your help. My father served on the USS Papago, an ocean tug, during WWII. I have been doing some research on this ship, and the last record I can find is from 1997.

I have a picture of the Papago in this ghost fleet in Virginia.

Does anybody know what ships are still there? I fear this ship has been scraped by now. I would love to get close enough one time to lay my eyes on her.

My dad passed away in 1993, and I find myself seeking all the information I can find about his naval service.

Thanks for any info.

VaDon

Comment

Originally posted by VaDon View Post
                  I have a picture of the Papago in this ghost fleet in Virginia.

Does anybody know what ships are still there? I fear this ship has been scraped by now. I would love to get close enough one time to lay my eyes on her.

Thanks for any info.

VaDon
                  Welcome to the World Affairs Board.

The register of ships in the ghost fleets change weekly and I doubt there is any up-to-date list readily available to us common folk. However, if you contact the Marine Adminstration (MARAD) in Virginia they may be able to give you some information on the ship.

Another possible source of info would be the Inactive Ship Facility back there generally in overall charge of mothballed ships.

Comment

Originally posted by VaDon View Post

My dad passed away in 1993, and I find myself seeking all the information I can find about his naval service.

Thanks for any info.

VaDon
                    You can order your dad's military records from the National Personnel Records Center and you can also get one free replacement set of the medals and ribbons he earned.

You can also get the Presidential Memorial Certificate recognizing your dad's service to the country. Both records and certificate information can be located through Google.

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

VaDon

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                        You can order your dad's military records from the National Personnel Records Center and you can also get one free replacement set of the medals and ribbons he earned.

You can also get the Presidential Memorial Certificate recognizing your dad's service to the country. Both records and certificate information can be located through Google.

Do you know if something like this exists in Canada?
                        Originally posted by GVChamp
                        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                          That is correct as well as both California Senators want the ship put SOMEWHERE in California as a museum.
                          Don't forget Congresswoman Nancy PELOSI !!!

Comment

I must say, though MARAD funds are limited and once got an unqualified sub-contractor, they are doing a tremendous amount of work to keep the ship preserved.

My hat is off to them.
                            Well said, Dick. :)

I wish some people had more moral integrity and would publicly apologize for claiming back in 2001 (Link#1, Link#2) that "MARAD does not have the ability to care for a mobilization asset like the Iowa".
                            Last edited by Shipwreck; 28 Sep 07,, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                              Do you know if something like this exists in Canada?
                              You'd probably have to check with the National Archives of Canada or the Chief Military Personnel (CMP) website as a start for military records.

As for the Presidential Memorial Certificate, it was initiated by JFK in 1962.

Comment

That is correct as well as both California Senators want the ship put SOMEWHERE in California as a museum. So when authorized visitors or inspection parties (such as mine) board the ship, there won't be any complaints about totally ignoring it.

My hat is off to them.
                                Mr. L. I dont doubt that MARAD is well capable of caring for Iowa, but would she not be better served in Norfolk with Whiskey? My reasoning is that since Whiskey is on the same bill as the Iowa she is well maintained from what collegues that have inspected her several times over have said. Would it not force the hands on care of the Iowa as well fitting the very same status as Whiskey. You know nobody would want her seen as delapidated especially when compared to her sister in reserve.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X