No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That TBM is a real beaut, it looks like it was time well-spent; I'm glad you guys are keeping it down in the hanger bay below decks away from the elements (though the last time I was there I noticed they put the SH-3 up on the flight deck). Last year, I ran into one of the guys doing the work your doing (he was working on the forward elevator shaft when I saw him), and he was kind enough to take my son & I into some of the spaces not generally open to the public. That's a big ship! This should look familiar:

Also been on the docent-led tours through the citadel and the CIC and the Admiral's Cabin and all that, very interesting. Looks like you did a good job on the island!
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Keeping it in the Hanger was the original deal. If it was to be put outside I and the Air Group head said they would have a hard time getting it done. Most of the interior of the plane belongs to me when it comes to instruments, radios and O2 equipment. I would not tolerate it being damaged much less put it into the plane. Since the previous COO has finally left the ship, thank God, we no longer have that battle to wage and remind him every year. This is the same fellow who, when presented with the chance of getting Tilly free, he turned it down without consulting the Board or CEO. Oh, and he was an Air Force guy, figures...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
        Just go to the main site and select the dropdown list on the right to get the current inventory.

https://pmars.marad.dot.gov/
        I see that this has not been updated for June. Wonder what takes them so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Keeping it in the Hanger was the original deal. If it was to be put outside I and the Air Group head said they would have a hard time getting it done. Most of the interior of the plane belongs to me when it comes to instruments, radios and O2 equipment. I would not tolerate it being damaged much less put it into the plane. Since the previous COO has finally left the ship, thank God, we no longer have that battle to wage and remind him every year. This is the same fellow who, when presented with the chance of getting Tilly free, he turned it down without consulting the Board or CEO. Oh, and he was an Air Force guy, figures...
          Just wondering...is that plane operational? Can it fly? Or is it restored just enough for the visual? It looks great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
            Yea...and note that on the bottom of those blades it says "Made in China" - thats where 80% of the recycled steel ends up.
            Made in Poland on my package.

Ether way, exporting that steel isn't a bad thing.

They have a need. We have a product. Free Market.

Chop them up faster, Just not fast enough to drop the price of the steel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
              Just wondering...is that plane operational? Can it fly? Or is it restored just enough for the visual? It looks great.

Could it fly. Well the engine is in good shape and I could probably bring it on line with a few others to help out. However, the ship would not allow me to fire it up if I wanted to test it on the flight deck.

As to flying there are some issues with the upper wing root areas concerning corrosion. Ultimately the folding wings need to be removed so the heavy aluminum sheets on the top center section could be replaced. Once done then the plane could fly as I have found no other corrosion issues with it.

Comment

Could it fly. Well the engine is in good shape and I could probably bring it on line with a few others to help out. However, the ship would not allow me to fire it up if I wanted to test it on the flight deck.

As to flying there are some issues with the upper wing root areas concerning corrosion. Ultimately the folding wings need to be removed so the heavy aluminum sheets on the top center section could be replaced. Once done then the plane could fly as I have found no other corrosion issues with it.
                Fly her south above Atlantic Blvd in North Long Beach to start off our Veterans Day Parade on November 6th.

Our theme and grand marshall(s) is ROSIE THE RIVETER. So a couple of B-25 Mitchells, B-17 Fortresses, P-38 Lightnings as well would really be within the theme.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Great job on her. She is a thing of beauty.

Do you know her history?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    Great job on her. She is a thing of beauty.

Do you know her history?
                    Yes I know most. Completed January 1945. Reached San Diego June 1945. Reached Guam in July 1945 and placed into a composite squadron. Returned to the States in 1946 and placed into reserve at Litchfield Park for two years. Pulled in 1948 and re-designated Carrier On Board Delivery. Last carrier she flew off was the Coral Sea in 1956 before retired for the last time. Sold to Sacramento Crop Dusters in 1960 for $1.00. Sometime later made her way into the fire bomber fleet in California. Purchased in 1990 by a guy who had a business at Oakland Airport and he flew it into there for storage. Sold to the Hornet Museum in 1998. Unfortunately the owner died of throat cancer right after the sale. In 1999 I was able to go up to his private home, shop and runway below Sacramento to get the gun turret from his wife.

If you like planes then one would have to see his warehouse. The walls stacked with wings, props, and anything else he could hang. Crated piston radials on the floor. His personal F-7 Tigercat and one of the few that flew. A B-23 used by Howard Hughes. An FM Wildcat undergoing restoration. One of the fake Zeros from Tora Tora Tora. In the yard outside two prop airliners.

Down the runway to the next hanger as we heard a hard charging radial above was: A Sea Fury coming in for a landing, four other Sea Furies being restored plus the well known Dreadnought race Fury, and a Corsair undergoing full restoration in French markings.

Comment

• For TBM3FAN:

Noticed this item on ebay. Thought you might be interested.
                      Attached Files
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

In 1999 I was able to go up to his private home, shop and runway below Sacramento to get the gun turret from his wife.
                        That wouldn't have been Cameron Park, would it?

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        His personal F-7 Tigercat and one of the few that flew.
                        It wouldn't have been 80425, would it? Saw it a few years ago out at Pine Mountain Lake with Clay Lacy at the controls.

And, on a personal note, I should be back onboard the Hornet sometime in October; any chance you might be around then?
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• No, it was Eagle's Nest in Ione California. I have a picture of the Tigercat somewhere but I don't think the number is visible. The plane was in correct colors with green stripes at the time.

The more well known restoration place is Sanders which is where I saw all the Sea Furies as the guy has a well known reputation for restoring them.

Below is a link to Sanders and one for Dreadnought

Sanders Aeronautics - Aircraft Maintenance

Sanders Aeronautics - Aircraft - Hawker Sea Fury T Mk.20 "Dreadnought"

As for October there might be a chance that I would be in the Philippines for two weeks. The other two weeks I would be on the ship as always all day Wednesday from 10-7.

Comment

• Ghost Fleet 3"/50 cal

Here is a link for a time lapse photography of the twin mount 3"/50 cal gun we removed from the USS Tulare. Amy, a photographer, sometimes goes with us to shoot the fleet. She took 685 photos every 2 seconds and put together this slide show. Pretty cool seeing it this way versus being their doing it.

U.S.S. Tulare Gun Removal on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

• I read the Saratoga and Forrest Sherman have been removed from donation hold. I wonder what Ship breaker will get the old Saratoga and Forrestal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Archdude View Post
                                I read the Saratoga and Forrest Sherman have been removed from donation hold. I wonder what Ship breaker will get the old Saratoga and Forrestal?
                                My guess is: none. I expect at least one of the two to be expended as a target, while I could well imagine one carrier to be sunk as a reef...

Comment

Working...
                                X