View Poll Results: Conflict that has made the largest impact on the world we know today.

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roman Conquests leading to the Roman Empire

33 17.93%
  • The Viking Invasions

2 1.09%
  • The Crusades

3 1.63%
  • The Mongol Invasions leading to the Mongol Empire

6 3.26%
  • The Seven Years War/French Indian War

2 1.09%
  • World War 1

27 14.67%
  • The Russian Revolution/Civil War

4 2.17%
  • World War 2

80 43.48%
  • The Cold War

27 14.67%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Conflict that has made the largest impact on the world we know today.

Conflict that has made the largest impact on the world we know today.

These are all conflicts that have engulfed Empires and countries, pitting Cultures, Religions, and Ideals against each other. These conflicts have, in my opinion, resulted in leaving a footprint that is not limited to one geographical area, Region or people. But a footprint that has spanned the entire globe and altered the collective history of Humans.

Which one do you believe has left the largest imprint in History?
    Last edited by Canmoore; 11 Sep 07, at 22:24.

Officer of Engineers
    Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Marriage
    Dam missed that one ..ok i think im done editing
    Last edited by Canmoore; 11 Sep 07, at 22:24.

Officer of Engineers
    Yep, the Cold War - describes Marriage all right.

Banned
    The Roman Conquests, but only because the survival of Democracy in Greece was not on the list.

John

I say the Seven years War / French Indian War. Because, it was the first true world War. And it set the groundwork for the American Revolution.

Had France fought the British to at least a draw and New France did not fall. Than would the Americans revolt against the British? The British were needed to defend the American colonies from the French. Not to mention had the war never happened, than the extreme taxation of the colonies to fund the war would never happened. It was this "taxation without representation" that was a driving factor behind the Revolution.

The entire New World as we know it would have looked very different depending on if the French won the war, or if the war never took place at all.

An t-aimiréal chléthúil Senior Contributor crooks's Avatar
    The World at this very moment has been most shaped by WW2, I would say - though the other wars all provided something, It's WW2 that's so encompassing, and so rooted in our mind (currently).
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    In my opinion, the single most world-changing war is not listed: the Umayyad invasions into western Europe in the 8th Century. Charles The Hammer's defeat of Emir Abdul Rahman at Tours (or Poitiers) in 732 quite literally saved the entire world from Muslim conquest.

And in my opinion, it is simply the most important battle in world history for that reason.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    In my opinion, the single most world-changing war is not listed: the Umayyad invasions into western Europe in the 8th Century. Charles The Hammer's defeat of Emir Abdul Rahman at Tours (or Poitiers) in 732 quite literally saved the entire world from Muslim conquest.

And in my opinion, it is simply the most important battle in world history for that reason.
    that's not a bad pick. but actually, "world" here means western europe (the byzantine empire had the other end of europe), while china puttered along just fine.

i select WWI. had europe not turned on flamethrowers at two paces, many of the nasty "isms" (communism, fascism, nazism) of the 20th century would not have exploded across the world.

imperialism would probably have lived longer, but most likely the inevitable transfer of power would have been calmer.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Banned
    Actually realistically the further you go back in history, the more of an impact each event had on future events. So the Roman Empire (the cradle of all western civilization) has far more impact then WWI. No roman empire = no WWI but not vice versa.

In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Actually realistically the further you go back in history, the more of an impact each event had on future events. So the Roman Empire (the cradle of all western civilization) has far more impact then WWI. No roman empire = no WWI but not vice versa.
    I agree with Feanor on this....did I just say what I thought I did? I do agree that as you go backwards in history the events increase exponentially in importance as far as overall impact.Dropping the pebble in the puddle and watching the waves move outward....in this case the Roman Empire and its' conquests are the pebble.Just my two cents worth .Did I just agree with Feanor?
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post

That is a good one. Europe and as a result the world would be a very different place had the Franks lost... However I do not think that Europe would have stayed under Muslim rule..eventually the multi-national Muslim armies would weaken due to old rivalries and the Germanic people would retake Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    That is true, but the Romans were only the cradle for western civilization. Nearly all of Africa, and Asia for the most part went along to the beat of there own drum.
    Last edited by Canmoore; 12 Sep 07, at 22:25.

Contributor
    For me its the oldest conflict of the bunch that makes the most impact.
    Those who can't change become extinct.

Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    that's not a bad pick. but actually, "world" here means western europe (the byzantine empire had the other end of europe), while china puttered along just fine.

i select WWI. had europe not turned on flamethrowers at two paces, many of the nasty "isms" (communism, fascism, nazism) of the 20th century would not have exploded across the world.

imperialism would probably have lived longer, but most likely the inevitable transfer of power would have been calmer.

Good pick, and good reasoning.

Dammit; typing that has caused the skin to peel off my fingers...

Thread Information