Nuclear power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ashkon View Post
    So what do we do with the nuclear waste from these reactors, dump it in the ocean? store it underground?
    Bury it in impenetratable salt shelves. Each shelf is controlled, so that even in the case of a major earthquake no ground water would seep in.

The waste itself is merged with glass and stored in concrete containers in concrete rooms in those salt shelves. Google is your friend if you want a demonstration.

Comment

a tad more history

The Pyramids seem to have held up against all sorts of natural slings and arrows. I see little reason why another big mound of rock shouln't keep a load of high level waste contained even on the surface. Most houses in Cornwall count as medium level waste for crying out loud. I'm sure that NORAD hardly uses Cheyene Mountain nowadays. Stick it all in there!

Christ, all of the (other) silos are as strong as one could will. Let alone if it gets vitrified first.
      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Or you could do what some unscrupulous American company did when they built the Alaska Highway and dump it in the Canadian bush.

I tried to find a link but could not so that statement might be full of it so take it with a grain of salt. Could someone back my sentance up?
        Originally posted by GVChamp
        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          It's "I'm" or "I am," not "Im." Don't be so lazy next time.

And it's "a lot" not "alot." Alot is not a word.
          ...I might be a redneck ;)

Hey Omon, the little I could find on this implosion engine (tho it really does sound intriguing) seems like BS to me, I'm afraid? Got any better links?

As for nuclear waste, hopefully we will first process it in feeder(?) plants. But after that, we could always send it into the sun or something. Be a good boost for the space program :))

Crooks, what island is that please? Ireland? Doesn't Have you guys finished building that peat-powered plant? How is that project working out?

Comment

Viktor Schauberger; The Inventions
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
              Or you could do what some unscrupulous American company did when they built the Alaska Highway and dump it in the Canadian bush.

I tried to find a link but could not so that statement might be full of it so take it with a grain of salt. Could someone back my sentance up?
              Do you remember a name or location for the incident?

Comment

Yes we should continue to use nuclear power and even build more plants as improvements are made. If other power sources are available (water, wind, wave action, geothermal, coal, oil, scrub oak) use them if you must.

Eventually a another way of providing power will be invented and put to use. I see nuclear power as a great advancement in power generation. If you don't use it, you must use the older methods of burning coal or oil.

Hell, why not just rub two dry sticks together to start a bonfire then. How far back into archaic technology do you want to go?

Let's keep inventing and going forward.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Well said.:)
                  Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

GE will likely be involved in the construction of 4-5 new nuclear power plants in the US over the next ten years, and probably 6-8 more in project development.

Comment

Pardon my French, but haven't they operated power plants for 20 or 30 years without accidents? What are they doing with the waste? More importantly, where is the Soviet disposal area for de-comissioned subs at, and what is the contaminated area theorized? Dirty bombs are made of this.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what happens to US nuclear waste. Yucca Mountain rings a bell, tho.

Here is an interesting anti-nuke article, which I post here because of the first paragraph. No government subsidies for new nuclear plants -- baltimoresun.com

A clause in the landmark energy bill now before Congress could open the door for massive loan guarantees meant to entice investors to build nuclear power plants.

Comment

Actually nuclear power is not unlimited as some people make it out to be. After all, there's only a finite amount of uranium available for fuel unless you really want to use the more radioactive and more dangerous fuel, plutonium. You will hardly find a nuclear power using plutonium because it is, quite frankly, so dangerous that it is not simply worth the costs it requires to safely handle and dispose it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                            Actually nuclear power is not unlimited as some people make it out to be. After all, there's only a finite amount of uranium available for fuel unless you really want to use the more radioactive and more dangerous fuel, plutonium. You will hardly find a nuclear power using plutonium because it is, quite frankly, so dangerous that it is not simply worth the costs it requires to safely handle and dispose it.
                            Did you hear about that kid who tried to build a breeder reactor in his backyard? He got all the components he needed to build a pile, but never had enough courage/foolhardiness to put it together. His Geiger counter was picking up excess radiation five blocks away. I don't know if his design would have actually worked, but I hate to imagine the kind of radiation it would've put out.
                            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by texacali View Post
                              Pardon my French, but haven't they operated power plants for 20 or 30 years without accidents? What are they doing with the waste? More importantly, where is the Soviet disposal area for de-comissioned subs at, and what is the contaminated area theorized? Dirty bombs are made of this.
                              Currently the nuclear waste in the US from power plants are stored on site, in a giant pool of water underneath the reactor.

Yucca mountain is being constructed as a long term solution to store these waste.

I don't know where the old Soviet nuclear waste goes. I don't know where French put their nuclear waste either. France gets over 70% of electrical power from nuclear plants. The waste has to be substantial.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                                Did you hear about that kid who tried to build a breeder reactor in his backyard? He got all the components he needed to build a pile, but never had enough courage/foolhardiness to put it together. His Geiger counter was picking up excess radiation five blocks away. I don't know if his design would have actually worked, but I hate to imagine the kind of radiation it would've put out.
                                No that's news to me. Can you provide a link?

Comment

Working...
                                X