Vote for your favorite naval model!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on the Musashi model:

It is described as a 1:700 scale Tamaya kit. I find it hard to believe that kind of detail molding can be done in that small of a scale. But I haven't seen the Tamaya kit of Musashi/Yamato, only New Jersey (with questionably acquired classified plans that added to astounding accuracy and info that we did NOT want to be made public).

If your modeling ability is that good (comparable to a jeweler or watch maker), you should try Lee Upshaw's (Scale Shipyard) hulls and fittings in 1:100 scale.

Hmmm. A model 7 times as big as the one you have. Well, the family will just have to eat off of paper plates while the dining room table is taken up for a couple of years.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

All three are great.

Tirpitz is shiny because German like to appear shipshape! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Musashi definitely looks the best, they all looked good though.
        Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

The model not only a hit hit and and a reminder but shows a lot of thought
          I find this a motivation to think of something modelwise

Comment

my vote is for tirpitz (for the camo work)
            Solon you Greeks will be for ever kids,you forget your history and you start all over again(Plato)

Comment

As a model builder myself I am simply stunned by Aeronautic's Musashi model, and while the others were good in their own right Aeronautic's was the winner hands down.

Yes Rusty, they can look that detailed these days. Photo etched parts really make a huge difference and there are certain technics you can use to remove the joints where parts are cemented together. I've yet to get enough confidence to use photoetched details on my models but I have been able to dabble in the art of rigging detail. Simply cut a small peice of sprue, heat it, and carefully twist and pull the two ends apart and you get a nice line. Attaching it on the other hand....painfully tedious!

The Tamiya Yamato molds are top notch as they have been redone recently. They used to have a single mold hull but now they are three peice (sides and deck) with VERY good detail.

I currently have no camera but one of the entry's I would have considered would have been my model of Yamato/Musashi's half sister, the CV Shinano.
              Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin View Post
                Yes Rusty, they can look that detailed these days. Photo etched parts really make a huge difference and there are certain technics you can use to remove the joints where parts are cemented together. I've yet to get enough confidence to use photoetched details on my models but I have been able to dabble in the art of rigging detail.

My friend, Lee Upshaw of the Scale Shipyard, sells photo-etched parts for his 1:96 and 1:100 ship hulls. Some of them are fantastic.

I currently have no camera but one of the entry's I would have considered would have been my model of Yamato/Musashi's half sister, the CV Shinano.
                Before or after she was spotted by the Archerfish?

Comment

A bit late, yet again. Winning 47 out of 52 votes, clearly aeronautic is the winner of this modeling contest with the prize of a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    Before or after she was spotted by the Archerfish?
                    Heh, if they had included the section of the hull below the waterline I suppose I could have built her to represent the point AFTER she met the Archerfish.
                    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      A bit late, yet again. Winning 47 out of 52 votes, clearly aeronautic is the winner of this modeling contest with the prize of a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!
                      The Musashi model is the obvious winner --- BUT --- doesn't 47 + 3 + 3 = 53?

Sigh! And we won the war in spite of him.

Comment

The poll is still open... I forgot to set it to automatically close after the week expired.
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Thanks for the fine remarks regarding my model of Musashi

Hi all
                          Thank you very much for the fine remarks regarding my model of Musashi
                          I am proud to be a winner in this forum. This is the first time for me to be in a competition. I started modeling again after a 25 years of hold (2 years ago).
                          As a young boy a build lots of 1:72 aircraft and tanks, it later went into train modeling (the landscape was a thing I really enjoyed) -but I always had a special interest in naval warfare and warships. Every 4th. of July we had US. naval visit in the harbour of Aalborg (Denmark) to celebrate in Rebil hills.
                          I stood on the quay to welcome the USN. and was one of the first to enter "open ship". After 7 years of sailing on my 1:1 scale Motor yacht I went back on modeling IJN 1:700 warships. They stand beside my collection of my 1:500 die cast model airliners in the glass cabinets (400+).
                          I have my own website with pic. of my model airport, model warship/aircraft and spotter pic. of real aircraft. Fell free to visit my site:
                          [url=http://www.aeronautic.dk[/url]

Best regards

Lars
                          aeronautic
                          Regards Lars
                          aeronautic.dk

Comment

I vote for Musashi..
                            sigpic

Comment

Voted for Musashi. The detail is fantastic.
                              "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
                              - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

:) There is a difference. Whilst #1 is exquisitely presented and assembled, #2 seems to be a working model that fires BBs. And passing in victory! Purely for being a working model, she wins my vote.;)
                                Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Working...
                                X