Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure for HIV found by Rutgers University?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure for HIV found by Rutgers University?

Rutgers researchers may have stopped HIV

Associated Press

UPDATED AT 9:37 PM EST Sunday, Dec 12, 2004

Piscataway, N.J. — Researchers at Rutgers University have developed a trio of drugs they believe can destroy HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, according to a published report.

The drugs, called DAPYs, mimic the virus by changing shape, which enables them to interfere with the way HIV attacks the immune system.

Tests conducted in conjunction with Johnson and Johnson have shown the drug to be easily absorbed with minimal side effects. It also can be taken in one pill, in contrast to the drug cocktails currently taken by many AIDS patients.

“This could be it,” Stephen Smith, the head of the department of infectious diseases at Saint Michael's Medical Center in Newark, said. “We're all looking for the next class of drugs.”

A research team led by Rutgers chemist Eddy Arnold pre-published details of the most promising of the three drugs, known as R278474, last month in the electronic edition of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. Full details will be published in the journal in early 2005.

Dr. Arnold, 47, has worked at dismantling the AIDS virus over the last 20 years. He uses X-ray crystallography, a technique to determine the structure of molecules, the smallest particles that can retain all the characteristics of an element or compound.

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.

“Reverse transcriptase is very important in the biology of AIDS,” Dr. Smith said. “If you can really inhibit reverse transcriptase, you can stop AIDS.”

The optimism about R278474 stems from its potential to interfere with an enzyme that the virus needs to copy and insert itself into a human cell.

“We're onto something very, very special,” Dr. Arnold said.

Dr. Arnold established his lab at Rutgers' Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine in 1987. His current 30-member research team is partnered with Johnson and Johnson subsidiaries Janssen Pharmaceutica and Tibotec-Virco NV.

An important advancement in Dr. Arnold's research came in 1990 when Belgian scientist Paul Janssen was added to the collaboration. Dr. Janssen, considered a drug pioneer, published a paper that year that described a new drug that blocked reverse transcriptase but caused resistant strains of the virus to pop up too quickly.

Dr. Janssen sought out Dr. Arnold, who used crystallography to detail the structure of RT. Their work ultimately led to the RT inhibitors.

“We may eventually win the war against HIV/AIDS. That would be an extremely rewarding and satisfying outcome,” Dr. Arnold said.

Whoa, insane.

Comment

This wasn't even on the news today.

Go figure...

Comment

Now we see why it wasn't on the news.

Apparently no one cares...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          Now we see why it wasn't on the news.

Apparently no one cares...
          Evidently some do since this thread has received 50 reviews. However, diseases and cures just isn't a hot topic that is discussed. Mostly killing and violence. Go figure. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
            However, diseases and cures just isn't a hot topic that is discussed.
            Well Julie, I must disagree. Post a topic about a break=through pill that will make any woman want to sleep with the man who takes the pill and Trust me, you'll have the whole penut gallery interested.
            "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
              Well Julie, I must disagree. Post a topic about a break=through pill that will make any woman want to sleep with the man who takes the pill and Trust me, you'll have the whole penut gallery interested.
              Well, you got me there girl...LOL So true!

Comment

Yes, because there are no horney women in the world....

;)

Comment

I do hope that the Univ guys are successful.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The research has targeted reverse transcriptase, a submiscroscopic protein composed of two coiled chains of amino acids. It is considered HIV's key protein.
                    So glad I took up that genetics module last year

Comment

;)
                      Sure they are, but they all get pregnant and drop out of high school ;)
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

;)

Sure there are. Most women view sex as more then just an urge or animal instinct, men, well.... lets just not go there (for some reason I think snipey has a pretty good idea on how men veiw sex and therefore do not think I need to elaborate ;) )
                        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                          Sure there are. Most women view sex as more then just an urge or animal instinct, men, well.... lets just not go there (for some reason I think snipey has a pretty good idea on how men veiw sex and therefore do not think I need to elaborate ;) )
                          LOL....but men like Snipe still battle the animal instinct within themselves no matter what the topic. Example:

Now we see why it {HIV Research} wasn't on the news. Apparently no one cares...
                          because there are no horney women in the world....
                          The man has a heart, but that basic animal instinct always seems to kick in. However, I disagree there are "no horney women" in the world, since women use the mind over matter approach to HIV outbreak being sexually related to a man's animal instinct.

Comment

I was being sarcastic.

LOL, believe me, i am well aware just how many horney women there really are. ;)

Comment

I hope they're right...
                              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
                              X