• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussies Sour On Iraq War

Friday, Aug. 24, 2007

AUSSIES SOUR ON IRAQ WAR

Howard feeling the squeeze

By TOM PLATE

LOS ANGELES — John Howard, often the most patient and sure-footed of Western-style political leaders, is reported to be losing patience with the current Iraq government and mulling over options for an Australian troop withdrawal.

Howard, who has served as Australia's prime minister longer than George W. Bush has been America's president, is no dummy. The Australian people have soured on the war effort, to which their country has committed about 1,500 troops. And the facts on the ground in Iraq do not seem to be improving rapidly.

America does not go to the polls until late next year, but the probability is that Australians will choose their next government before yearend. Howard, the prime minister since 1996, has seen his opinion ratings deteriorate and faces the prospect of leading his Liberal Party (read: conservative party) to defeat.

Time is not on the chiseled veteran's side. The squeeze has begun and the wily Howard is looking for a way out that avoids the appearance either of defeat or of a timetable. Judging from his public statements, the prime minister seems to think timetables for withdrawal are sort of unwise and unmanly.

Just a few months ago Howard, in a utterly gratuitous commentary on the U.S. presidential debate, lambasted U.S. Sen. and Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama not so much for advocating withdrawal as for proposing a specific timetable — sometime in the spring of 2008. The prime minister suggested that the very idea was problematic, if not unpatriotic.

"I think that will just encourage those who want to destabilize and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory," he told Australian Nine Network television. "If I were running al-Qaida in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory, not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."

But if Howard is aiming to time the beginning of the Australian withdrawal to the country's impending election, then why shouldn't al-Qaida "put a circle" around the earlier date? In fact, those running Obama's presidential campaign might well be justified now in throwing the prime minister's angry words right back in the Aussie's face.

Petty get-even politics aside, the Iraq tragedy raises the very important issue of excessive alliance loyalty, if not dysfunctional geopolitical co-dependence. Sure, President Bush had put it on the line when the unwise decision to invade was made. "You are either with us or against me" was the un-nice way he put it.

And, as if in response to the snap of the president's fingers, three prime ministers were at Bush's feet in short order: Tony Blair of Britain, Junichiro Koizumi of Japan and, of course, Howard of Australia. Each calculated that it was in his country's national interest to leap at his master's command.

But with the benefit of hindsight — which admittedly always does put tough issues into perfect focus — we can now ask the question: Was it really in America's interests to have allied leaders who were such yes-men? Might not it have been better for the United States to have had real friends courageous enough to challenge the administration's thinking, instead of pimping it to their domestic publics and around the world?

After all, the U.S. has lost more than 3,600 soldiers in Iraq — and more than 27,000 have been significantly injured. The British have had 168 killed, as of this writing. The Japanese have had none from combat; the Aussies have lost two soldiers.

In Japan and Britain the governing parties remain in power, and there is still time for Howard to pull out a victory from the jaws of defeat in Australia. After all, none of these governments staked everything on this awful war, as did the Bush administration. It is the latter's legacy that will be largely colored by this unnecessary war.

Worse yet, history will be even more condemnatory of Bush if it turns out Afghanistan (which was a necessary war) is lost because of the diversion of resources to Iraq. So thanks a lot, Great Britain, Japan and Australia — you were good old boys in the end.

So it may be asked: With miscalculating, fawning friends like Howard — and Blair and Koizumi — Bush, in the end, really didn't need enemies, did he?

And so it is Howard — far more than Obama — who has blood on his hands from this awful tragic mess.

UCLA adjunct professor Tom Plate is a veteran American journalist. His syndicated columns appear in newspapers and on Web sites around the world. Copyright 2007 Tom Plate

Howard feeling the squeeze | The Japan Times Online
    Howard is no patient old tyke, though sure footed his is!

He is not feeling the squeeze about anything, except that the Australians have had enough of him!

He is a person who one would equate in what is termed as a hillbilly and redneck in characteristics and yet, he does not even possess the gut instinct of the hillbilly and the redneck!

A greater sycophant and a brainless wonder one has hardly seen!

He has somersaulted in most of the issues when it became difficult including the global warming!

He has done the greatest disservice to Bush, who is a nice person, even though misguided!

Bush is childlike, while these blokes are snake-oil salesmen!
    Last edited by Ray; 27 Aug 07,, 09:24.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

The article is misleading. Australia has 1500 soldiers in the Gulf, only 550 are stationed on maneuvre operations in Iraq, in Al-Muthana Province. There is also an Army sentry force guarding the embassy in the Green Zone called SECDET with a Rifle company and some MPs and Armoured Cavalry.
    In general Australia's committment has never really been more than a token force, and it should be noted that our troops are pretty much barred from actively attacking Insurgents, which is why no Australian Soldiers have been killed in combat in the entire war. There have been some poorly executed RPG, Rocket and Mortar attacks, and as such there have been injuries, but the ADF has only seen a few minor firefights in it's time in Iraq.
    The reason is simple: even though Australia is partly responsible for making this mess, the Government is keenly aware that the population think Australia is above the law and shouldn't have to live up to our responsibilities.
    That and a very large portion of the population never supported the war in the first place.

Comment

Oh and I might point out one of the Australian soldiers killed in Iraq was serving with the Royal Air Force, not the Australian Defence Force.

Comment

Another couple of points on the political side.

In the coming election for the coalition to lose office there needs to be the biggest voter swing in Australian history, and the main factors determining the election are all local (Iraq and Afghanistan are very minor issues in the context of the election.).

My prediction is for the coalition to hold on in the House of Reps and to lose control of the Senate.

Comment

This election coming up here in Australia is the most shameful mud slinging match I have ever seen in politics. Howard is a slimy bastard and Kevin Rudd the opposition, is even worse. Something about him makes me cringe.

I hope Howard wins the next election even if he is a giant douche.

Howard flip flops, backpedals and seems to have no backbone.

For the most part and I think it's that Australia is so far from everything they don't have any clue of what is happening in the outside world. You should see the fuss kicked up over the recent military excerise down here.

A whole lot of Islands north of here are potentially hostile and Australia needs the US to keep it's waters clear. No way can a massive continent like this be protected by the military of a population of 20million on their own.

excuse the rant
          Originally posted by GVChamp
          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

I wouldn't worry to much about the greenies, ferals and uni students, no one pays any attention to that rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
              This election coming up here in Australia is the most shameful mud slinging match I have ever seen in politics. Howard is a slimy bastard and Kevin Rudd the opposition, is even worse. Something about him makes me cringe.

I hope Howard wins the next election even if he is a giant douche.

Howard flip flops, backpedals and seems to have no backbone.

For the most part and I think it's that Australia is so far from everything they don't have any clue of what is happening in the outside world. You should see the fuss kicked up over the recent military excerise down here.

A whole lot of Islands north of here are potentially hostile and Australia needs the US to keep it's waters clear. No way can a massive continent like this be protected by the military of a population of 20million on their own.

excuse the rant
              Do you still think Rudd is bad now that he won and is Prime Minister? I really don't care one way or the other.
              Last edited by CyberPredator; 18 Dec 07,, 09:47.

Comment

It was for the Ozzies to decide their destiny and they have decided!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Yep, and with my new Aussie mortgage I hope I don't suffer for it......
                  Originally posted by GVChamp
                  College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                    Yep, and with my new Aussie mortgage I hope I don't suffer for it......

Expat, if you have just taken out a mortgage then you are already suffering for the policies of the last government - housing affordability is at an all time low.

The change in government won't make much of a difference to you in the short term. Interest rates will continue to rise as they have been & affordability won't improve dramatically until we train up enough tradies to meet demand. Of course, if that happens then the value of your house won't rise all that much.

Other than that, things won't get much worse unless there is an international recession.

Sorry I can't give you better news.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      It was for the Ozzies to decide their destiny and they have decided!
                      Yup!

And in the late 30's Germany elected a fellow named Hitler. Look how that turned out. :(

CP

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        Expat, if you have just taken out a mortgage then you are already suffering for the policies of the last government - housing affordability is at an all time low.

The change in government won't make much of a difference to you in the short term. Interest rates will continue to rise as they have been & affordability won't improve dramatically until we train up enough tradies to meet demand. Of course, if that happens then the value of your house won't rise all that much.

Other than that, things won't get much worse unless there is an international recession.

Sorry I can't give you better news.
                        Someone told me the other day that there are still some suburbs in Brisbane where I can buy a house for only $350,000! No joke!

Comment

5 years ago you could buy full brick ex ADF houses in Adelaide for $65
                          5 years ago you could buy full brick ex Miners house in Rosebud in Tassie for $7k
                          Linkeden:
                          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CyberPredator View Post
                            Yup!

And in the late 30's Germany elected a fellow named Hitler. Look how that turned out. :(

CP
                            Are you an Australian?

Are you comparing Rudd with Hitler?

If so, could you give the reasons?

Or is it that your logic dictates that anyone who does not agree with the US Administration is automatically Hitler?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by CyberPredator View Post
                              Yup!

CP
                              CP,

You are new here & I don't know you, so I won't start wailing on you for this appalling comparison. I could literally write an article on what is both factually incorrect & offensive about what you wrote. I'll spare you the detail, but might I suggest you do a bit of in depth study about Weimar Germany before you try it on again.

In the meantime, Godwin's law has once again been proven right & you lose.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A word of advice: There are plenty of posters on WAB who are smarter & less patient than I. If you want to post here for long you will need to lift your game.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X