Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Forces Snowbird pilot....

Air Force Magazine Online

Snowbird Felled by Seat Belt: The Canadian Air Force flight safety investigation into the accident that killed Canadian Forces Snowbird pilot Capt. Shawn McCaughey on May 18 at Malmstrom AFB, Mont., found that his seat belt "became unfastened." At the time, McCaughey and teammates were practicing for an aerial demonstration at Malmstrom. The investigation summary notes that initial analysis shows McCaughey fell out of his seat during an inverted roll maneuver, causing him "to lose control of the aircraft." The investigation into why the seat belt became unfastened is still ongoing.

Directorate of Flight Safety -- From the Investigator -- Tutor CT114159

Type: Tutor CT114159

Date: 18 May 2007

On Friday, 18 May 2007, the Snowbirds had completed a transit from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Great Falls, Montana. An afternoon practice was planned in preparation for flying displays on Saturday and Sunday at the Malmstrom Air Force Base Open House, located eight miles away from Great Falls International Airport. One of the manoeuvres to be flown was an Inverted Photo Pass in which Snowbird (SB) Lead flies across the show line upright with SB 2 flying inverted on his left wing, SB 3 flying inverted on his right wing, and SB 4 flying inverted above and behind SB Lead.

At approximately 22 minutes into the show, as SB 2 was rolling inverted for the Inverted Photo Pass, the aircraft was seen to dip low, waver, and then depart the formation. Still inverted, the aircraft climbed, then subsequently rolled upright. Upon reaching a nearly wings level attitude, at approximately 750 feet above ground level, the aircraft nosed over. The aircraft impacted the ground approximately 45 degrees nose down. The pilot did not eject and was killed on impact.

Initial analysis has determined that the pilot's lapbelt became unfastened when SB #2 rolled inverted, causing the pilot to fall out of his seat and lose control of the aircraft.

The investigation is focussing on how the lapbelt became unfastened. Preventive measures taken to date include modifications to the pilot restraint system, as well as enhanced training for aircrew and passengers. New procedures as well as changes to the Aircraft Operating Instructions have been implemented to reduce the likelihood of a recurrence.
    Last edited by rickusn; 23 Aug 07,, 00:37.

After reading the above I consulted the Flight Manual for the Tutor. Looking at the illustrations of the ejector seat and attachments you would not have thought it possible for a man/seat separation to have occured without material failure of a component.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Apparently, the Snowbird's have been complaining of seatbelt problems for years, wanting them to be fixed.

Comment

The Snowbirds are flying very old planes, the CL-41 Tutor. There are talks of replacing them with CT-155 Hawks.

I think it would be a great move. Personally however, I would love to see a homegrown plane developed and built for the team and also used by the air force as trainers. But costs would more than likely make leasing planes much cheaper. Then there are the naysayers who say to hell with it all, and want the Snowbirds Dismantled.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
          The Snowbirds are flying very old planes, the CL-41 Tutor. There are talks of replacing them with CT-155 Hawks.

I think it would be a great move. Personally however, I would love to see a homegrown plane developed and built for the team and also used by the air force as trainers. But costs would more than likely make leasing planes much cheaper. Then there are the naysayers who say to hell with it all, and want the Snowbirds Dismantled.
          I understood that the CL-41 was no longer in use as a trainer, having been replaced by the Hawk in that role. I thought the only Tutors still flying are with the Snowbirds and a few as trials machines.
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I would love to get my hands on one for civilian use.
            Originally posted by GVChamp
            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
              I understood that the CL-41 was no longer in use as a trainer, having been replaced by the Hawk in that role. I thought the only Tutors still flying are with the Snowbirds and a few as trials machines.
              Correct, this is why replacing the Tutors with the Hawk makes sense. The Hawk is currently used by the CAF and the NATO flying school located in Canada in the basic jet trainer role. Integrating an already in-service aircraft with the Snowbirds would reduce introduction and maintenance costs. It simply doesn't make sense to have the Canadian aviation industry develop something specifically for the Snowbirds. A 14-16 airframe buy would not garner any interest from industry anyways.

One interesting point I have heard, is that some are wary of replacing the Tutor with the Hawk because you would be going from a straight wing aircraft to a swept wing. Some think this would detract from the look of some of the formation flying, I am not so sure...

Comment

Working...
              X