ElBaradei For the Sack..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElBaradei For the Sack..

For weeks all i have heard is that Iran does not posess an immediate nuclear threat. Im not too sure if the energy agency realizes you have too stop these threats before they come immediate. It would be so much harder to change a reseme if we waited for countries too become an immediate threat. ElBaradei can not take the hard line and put the pressure on Iran, therefore i support the USA in calling for his resignation.
    http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...storyID=637362
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

US goes hunting for nuke supercop’s scalp
    DAFNA LINZER
    Mohamed ElBaradei

Washington, Dec. 12: The Bush administration has dozens of intercepts of Mohamed ElBaradei’s phone calls with Iranian diplomats and is scrutinising them in search of ammunition to oust him as director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, according to three US government officials.

But the diplomatic offensive will not be easy. The administration has failed to come up with a candidate willing to oppose ElBaradei, who has run the agency since 1997, and there is disagreement among some senior officials over how hard to push for his removal, and what the diplomatic costs of a public campaign against him could be.

Although eavesdropping, even on allies, is considered a well-worn tool of national security and diplomacy, the efforts against ElBaradei demonstrate the lengths some within the administration are willing to go to replace a top international diplomat who questioned US intelligence on Iraq and is now taking a cautious approach on Iran.

The intercepted calls have not produced any evidence of nefarious conduct by ElBaradei, according to three officials who have read them. But some within the administration believe they show ElBaradei lacks impartiality because he tried to help Iran navigate a diplomatic crisis over its nuclear programmes. Others argue the transcripts demonstrate nothing more than standard telephone diplomacy.

“Some people think he sounds way too soft on the Iranians, but that’s about it,” said one official with access to the intercepts.

In Vienna, where the IAEA is headquartered, officials said they were not surprised about the eavesdropping. “We’ve always assumed that this kind of thing goes on,” said IAEA spokesperson Mark Gwozdecky. “We wish it were otherwise, but we know the reality.”

The IAEA, often called the UN’s nuclear watchdog agency, coordinates nuclear safety around the world and monitors materials that could be diverted for weapons use. It has played pivotal investigative roles in four major crises in recent years: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and the nuclear black market run by one of Pakistan’s top scientists.

Each issue has produced some tension between the agency and the White House, and this is not the first time that ElBaradei or other UN officials have been targets of a spy campaign. Three weeks before the invasion of Iraq in March 2003, Britain’s Observer newspaper published a secret directive from the National Security Agency ordering increased eavesdropping on UN diplomats.

Earlier this year, Clare Short, who served in British Prime Minister Tony Blair’s Cabinet, said British spies had eavesdropped on UN secretary general Kofi Annan’s calls during that period and that she had read transcripts of the intercepts.
    THE LOS ANGELES TIMES- WASHINGTON POST NEWS SERVICE
    It will be interesting to watch what happens.

However, the telephone tapping stuff makes me a wee but uncomfortable.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by aussie
      For weeks all i have heard is that Iran does not posess an immediate nuclear threat. Im not too sure if the energy agency realizes you have too stop these threats before they come immediate. It would be so much harder to change a reseme if we waited for countries too become an immediate threat. ElBaradei can not take the hard line and put the pressure on Iran, therefore i support the USA in calling for his resignation.
      http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...storyID=637362

I hate these mullahs but this Elbaradaï is a coward coz he don t giv attention on egyptian effort to get nukes, a$$hole egyptian
      Be yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X