PDW Pistol vs. Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDW Pistol vs. Magnum

About the FN Five-seven and the H&K UCP PDW pistols, on paper it claims they can penetrate body armor with a low recoil, due an advanced new round. This isn't new, I've seen high-caliber handguns blow holes in body armor and steel plating at target shooting ranges, and I wondered. Can those two pistols provide the penetration of a Magnum and have a low recoil? What would you prefer?
    FN Five-seven
    18.75%
    H&K UCP
    18.75%
    High-caliber Magnum
    62.50%
    ~Skullstorm17 A.K.A. kappe pwnz

Tests are tests. The 5.7 can go thru armor. Whether it can reliably take a man down, no one really knows. So which one is better? Until someone tries both out on a few people, its all speculation.
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Interesting question. My personal favorite sidearm, if I have to carry one, would be a 357 mag revolver. I have utmost confidence in its ability to really hurt someone. It is easy to shoot and very accurate with aimed fire.

The 5.7mm might be able to penetrate body armor, but what about terminal performance? Does it over penetrate against unarmored opponent? Can the 5.7mm penetrate against body armor with trauma plate? I doubt it.

I have not fired any 5.7mm guns so I can't comment on how easy they are to handle.

I have shot 357 mag revolvers. I love them.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Interesting question. My personal favorite sidearm, if I have to carry one, would be a 357 mag revolver. I have utmost confidence in its ability to really hurt someone. It is easy to shoot and very accurate with aimed fire.

The 5.7mm might be able to penetrate body armor, but what about terminal performance? Does it over penetrate against unarmored opponent? Can the 5.7mm penetrate against body armor with trauma plate? I doubt it.

I have not fired any 5.7mm guns so I can't comment on how easy they are to handle.

Yeah, what I asked was if the PDWs were worth a try. But I have to agree with you, the .357 Magnum is great, I have an awsome Colt Python revolver chambered for it in my collection, that thing can cut clean through a 1/4-inch plate of steel!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

Ugh, not a big fan of revolvers, though they shoot just fine. I wouldn't be caught dead with that as a carry gun. Not enough capacity, too slow to reload. It would make me nervous, even if the situation was not likely to need more, you always wanna be OVERKILL prepared for whatever transpires.
          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
            Ugh, not a big fan of revolvers, though they shoot just fine. I wouldn't be caught dead with that as a carry gun. Not enough capacity, too slow to reload. It would make me nervous, even if the situation was not likely to need more, you always wanna be OVERKILL prepared for whatever transpires.
            I didn't ask for your opinion on revolvers, I asked if anyone knew about the new PDWs compared to high-caliber handguns. If you want to share your hatrid of revolvers to the world, comment on on a post/poll about them, not this.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullstorm17 View Post
              I didn't ask for your opinion on revolvers, I asked if anyone knew about the new PDWs compared to high-caliber handguns. If you want to share your hatrid of revolvers to the world, comment on on a post/poll about them, not this.
              I wasn't talking to you so you can go **** yourself! I'll post where I want to post, son. You being new here, you can learn your manners the easy way or the hard way. You don't know me son, so just sit back in that comfy chair of your and shut the hell up like a good little boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullstorm17 View Post
                1,294 > 8

Which means you have nothing to say anyway.

Oh yes, "your" threads aren't your property. Anyone can post something relevant. Stan's post was relevant, since it was a post about revolvers in a revolver relevant thread. It wasn't off topic, it even greatly contributed to the discussion.
                Last edited by entropy; 10 Aug 07,, 16:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                  Revolvers tend to be safer and more user friendly from my very limited experience. But they are poor combat firearms due to abovementioned reasons. I would rather have a revolver because it feels robust.

Comment

I used to prefer revolvers for large calibre and automatics for .22". By the way, there used to be 3 grades of power with pistol ammunition. The run-of-the-mill 'standard', then there was the 'special' which allegedly had 50% more powder in a somewhat larger case, and finally the 'magnum' which was supposed to have 100% more powder in an even longer case. I hear a lot about magnums, but never seem to hear about 'specials'. Are they still made?
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

38 special is.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        Revolvers tend to be safer and more user friendly from my very limited experience. But they are poor combat firearms due to abovementioned reasons. I would rather have a revolver because it feels robust.
                        If the zombies come I sure as heck will have my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with the 7 3/4" barrel slung in my quickdraw holster. The zombies might not care, and I might not be as accurate with it as my Steyr, but Joe Average definitely knows that that hunk of iron means business. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                          If the zombies come I sure as heck will have my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with the 7 3/4" barrel slung in my quickdraw holster. The zombies might not care, and I might not be as accurate with it as my Steyr, but Joe Average definitely knows that that hunk of iron means business. ;)

-dale
                          Until your 6 bullets are out and there are 7 zombies, with the last one being particularly quick.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            Until your 6 bullets are out and there are 7 zombies, with the last one being particularly quick.
                            Thats where a Ruger Mini-30 with a 40 round magazine would come in handy. ;) Until theres 41.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
                              Thats where a Ruger mini-30 with a 40 round magazine would come in handy. ;) Until theres 41.
                              Now the question would be: PPsh or M-16 with drum mag?

Comment

Working...
                              X