Soviet Troops in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omon View Post
    they had standarts, for guads on red square, you needed to be build right have certan hight, and yes right face, after all you represent the best of ussr in front of whole world,
    airborne aka vdv, also had their standarts, at least when units representetives went to voenkomat, to get new recruts, they tryed to pick most physicly fit, and with previous sports involvment, as much as they could.
    as for afgan, solgers from all over ussr were sent, with no regards for nationality, those whose parents couldn,t pay off would go to afgan.
    Quite interesting, because things goes against some of the information we find in the West. Of course I defer to your personal experience for validity now, but I can't help but wonder how it was that the nature of the Red Army was so mistaken?

For instance it is claimed that the most favoured recruits were from industrial backgrounds (invariably Slavic or atleast European) assigned to front-line shock units in Europe for the push into Fulda Gap, and to a lesser extent acros the Soviet-Chinese border. Such units were never pulled out to serve in Afghanistan - with Airborne and Spetnaz units being the obvious exceptions. In the hinterland, second-class units were supposedly filled with those from rural backgrounds (Central Asians and Caucasians). It was they who formed the bulk of the units sent into Afghanistan from nearby Turkestan and other CAR military regions. Is their analysis completely wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
      Quite interesting, because things goes against some of the information we find in the West. Of course I defer to your personal experience for validity now, but I can't help but wonder how it was that the nature of the Red Army was so mistaken?

For instance it is claimed that the most favoured recruits were from industrial backgrounds (invariably Slavic or atleast European) assigned to front-line shock units in Europe for the push into Fulda Gap, and to a lesser extent acros the Soviet-Chinese border. Such units were never pulled out to serve in Afghanistan - with Airborne and Spetnaz units being the obvious exceptions. In the hinterland, second-class units were supposedly filled with those from rural backgrounds (Central Asians and Caucasians). It was they who formed the bulk of the units sent into Afghanistan from nearby Turkestan and other CAR military regions. Is their analysis completely wrong?
      it isn,t compleatly wrong, but isn,t full.
      i know quite a few ppl who served there, from my city, it wasn,t a major city but it wasn,t rural area either, they had solgers from all over ussr serve there, what your western study won,t tell you is that, recruts whose parents could pay off, wouldn,t go there, so ppl from big citys had more means and connections than from rural area, thus less chanses to go to war. as it was mentioned earlyer, ussr would sent you to serve far away from your home, usually, but not if you got ppl in voencomat and money, than you serve in your hometown, some acpects of recrutment you won,t find in any documents. corruption had a lot to do with where you'll serve, or if you serve at all.
      no region in ussr, or nationality would prevent you from going, anyone could be picked, the only way to be almost sure you won,t get there is if you were in the navy, on the ship, but if you were in morpex(similar to marines) than there was a great chance to see war.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

also if you were rased in orphanage, had no parents, than you would have higher chance to get there.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
          it also ensured that troops were viewed as foreigners , therefore not to be trusted .

old russian saying
          ´Before army time I slept peacefully , I knew we were defended and protected . In army I slept less peacefully , (I) defended and protected . After army I can´t sleep at all because I know who and how is protecting and defending´
          Again a brilliant way to ensure no revolt arose either in the population or the Army. Though heartless.

Divide and Rule - the way the British did it!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
          X