This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
    I think they're trying pretty hard without enough sucess. Strain from fighting in Iraq and A-stan is supposed to be taking it's toll.
    Easy. Increase the financial benefits. Just what the British government is trying to avoid, and shame on them that far.
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

What we should do is use all the disffected foreigners that blight our land and form them into a Regiment, then send them back to fight the Al Queada and the Taliban, see how soon the exodus would dry up then, hows that for a British foregin legion

Comment

On a (slightly) related note:

Bob Jones
        What we should do is use all the disffected foreigners that blight our land and form them into a Regiment, then send them back to fight the Al Queada and the Taliban, see how soon the exodus would dry up then, hows that for a British foregin legion
        Actually, that's not a bad idea, and not as impractical as you might think. I deal with a lot of foreign migrants/workers in my job (mostly from Eastern Europe) - I've heard quite a few say that they wouldn't mind serving in the British army for several years if it guaranteed citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Guinnessman View Post
          On a (slightly) related note:

Actually, that's not a bad idea, and not as impractical as you might think. I deal with a lot of foreign migrants/workers in my job (mostly from Eastern Europe) - I've heard quite a few say that they wouldn't mind serving in the British army for several years if it guaranteed citizenship.
          This is what I've been saying. It'd probably serve the cause of integration better too, since the new citizens would all speak English then, and no one would be able to question their right to British citizenship after that.

Comment

There was an idea recently to start a Sikh regiment to recruit both in the UK and abroad. The plan was dropped because it wasn't 'Politically correct'.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
              There was an idea recently to start a Sikh regiment to recruit both in the UK and abroad. The plan was dropped because it wasn't 'Politically correct'.
              I followed the whole sad sorry saga on arrse. Foolishness plain and simple. I suspect there'd be less of a winge factor here since it's not based on any particular ethnic or religious grouping, unless "foreign" now meets the definition of a race. The point is that it'd be volunteer too, people would really have to go out of their way to sign up and be tested, so I don't think anyone could level the "press gang" accusation against it.

Comment

Well it was politically correct during WW1 and 2 to recruit from, what was then the colonies or commonwealth, and has been posted, we still have the Gurkhas amongst the Army strength, so whats wrong with forming ethnic Regiments, or Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                  Well it was politically correct during WW1 and 2 to recruit from, what was then the colonies or commonwealth, and has been posted, we still have the Gurkhas amongst the Army strength, so whats wrong with forming ethnic Regiments, or Brigade
                  Wasn't my argument, that's the argument that stopped the Sikh Regiment from being formed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Jones;394161 so whats wrong with forming ethnic Regiments, or Brigade[/QUOTE]

Wont work Bob, imho , look at the British born ethnics leaving to fight for the taliban ??? bite the hands that feed , the enemy within ? etc etc and without conscription , i cant see them flocking to enlist , and then if they were to join and get sent to fight , bet you a herfy beer the human rights crap would rear its head . On other forums we already agrees bwana , mulicuturisam in soldiery in the uk is a grey area , its hardly working in civil society ? But i take on board the points given .

Do you think an ethnic British regiment would go up against what they would consider there countrymen in the present day climate ,, would you , or i , or any soldier ?

(apart from N/Ireland which was only to help the police and could not be classed as a war as such ?)

Comment

Sikh Regiment

Historically, Sikhs were chosen for their bravery by the British Army when in India after fighting 2 wars with them. Since then Sikhs have been a loyal and brave force in the British Army especially in World War I & II. Sikhs fearlessly sacrificed their lives in the World Wars. To honour them with a regiment like the Gurkhas would have been absolutely the right thing to do. Remember the Sikhs are NOT linked to any Terrorist organisation against the western world. I believe, its important to recognise whats good.

Comment

Historically, Sikhs were chosen for their bravery by the British Army when in India after fighting 2 wars with them. Since then Sikhs have been a loyal and brave force in the British Army especially in World War I & II. Sikhs fearlessly sacrificed their lives in the World Wars. To honour them with a regiment like the Gurkhas would have been absolutely the right thing to do. Remember the Sikhs are NOT linked to any Terrorist organisation against the western world. I believe, its important to recognise whats good.
                        Oh god [ducking down to avoid the flames which follow]
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Singh View Post
                          A petition to have a Sikh Regiment had been signed by serving and ex Members of the Armed Forces but sadly was rejected by Government. There was some feeble excuse as usual

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            A petition to have a Sikh Regiment had been signed by serving and ex Members of the Armed Forces but sadly was rejected by Government. There was some feeble excuse as usual
                            Sikh , and you will find .;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              Sikh , and you will find .;)
                              Eric, you are intolerable:)) ...get back in the cage

Comment

Jello,...

I thought that Sikhs were honored with their own regiments for supporting(or abstaining hurting) the British East India company during the 1857 mutiny. Then thru inertia more regiments were added in later years.

Comment

Working...
                                X