No referendum on EU treaty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No referendum on EU treaty?

So the government has denied the public a referendum on the matter of the new European treaty,And why on earth would they do this,After all we do live in a democracy,We even go as far as going around the world destroying peoples country in order to force democracy upon people,But the answer to this is blindingly obvious,They wont get the answer they want ,Therefore we dont get one,What sort of democracy is that,Basicly our government is saying you vote how we want you to or your right to have a say is taken away,Also werent we promised a referendum by Blair,So even their promises are empty,Democracy is an illusion.
    I have today read that Gordon Brown insists this new European treaty doesnt need a referendum,As it is far less reaching than the now defunct constitutional treaty of 2005,Which was given a referendum but was never needed as it was killed of beforehand by France,Yet if you were to beleive William Hague,The new treaty is 90% the same as the old treaty,Its just worded slightly differantly,Typical.
    Finally i hear many people with horror storys about Europe,Saying how bit by bit we are losing the right to govern our own country,Is it that bad?Would our politicians just sign our powers away?I also hear how Britain ends up pumping funding into countrys all over Europe in order to improve their economys,I find this very annoying,My opinion is that we would be just as well of without Europe,And our economy would still continue to thrive.

A referendum was confirmed for Éire, sometime in 2008, I was under the impression that the UK was getting one as well .
    Perhaps your government feels you will reject it regardless of what's in it, due to Anti-Eu feeling that dominates the UK.

I sincerely hope we reject it, it's an absolute joke, and while I support the Euro I don't agree with "Shared Sovereignity" and see Ireland as the sole judge of Ireland's interests abroad.
    I think that we might be the only country currently with a referendum planned but Denmark, The Netherlands and of course the UK will probably insist on referenda (the populace, not the govs).
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
    X