UK's Brown won't rule out military action in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK's Brown won't rule out military action in Iran

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Monday he would not rule out military action against Iran, but believed a policy of sanctions could still persuade Tehran to drop its disputed nuclear program.

"I firmly believe that the sanctions policy that we are pursuing will work, but I'm not one who's going forward to say that we rule out any particular form of action," Brown told a news conference, when asked if he would rule out a military strike against Iran.

The United Nations Security Council has imposed two rounds of sanctions since December on Iran for failing to halt uranium enrichment, a process which can produce fuel for power plants or material for warheads. A third sanctions resolution is being considered.

Western powers suspect Iran's activities are secretly aimed at producing atom bombs. Tehran says its nuclear program is for purely peaceful ends, such as electricity generation.

Iran held talks with the U.N. watchdog International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) this month to clear up outstanding questions about its nuclear activity and improve IAEA inspectors' access to its enrichment plant.

This, say some European diplomats, has prompted the six big powers working on the issue -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany -- to quietly put off until September efforts to toughen existing sanctions, in hopes Iran's improved cooperation with the IAEA may defuse the standoff.

Brown said he believed the current sanctions were having an effect, but he thought there would still be a third resolution.

"There will probably be a third resolution in relation to Iran soon ... I appeal to the Iranian authorities to understand the feelings that other countries have about the development of a nuclear weapons program," he said.

French Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Denis Simonneau told an online briefing it was necessary to maintain "a message of firmness" until Iran suspended sensitive activities.

"This new (U.N. sanctions) resolution, which we would like to be firm, should clearly indicate to Iran that its obstinacy is leading to its increased isolation, which is bad for its economy, its population and its openness to the world."

UK's Brown won't rule out military action in Iran | Reuters

Originally posted by Kansas Bear View Post
    LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Monday he would not rule out military action against Iran
    Who's he going to send, cadets?
    Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
    Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

I don't rule out the chance of me winning the Lotto. Doesn't mean I'll actually win.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

And just who does he think he is kiding? We simply dont have the troops for another job.

Comment

Would conscription be a possibility to supply the troops ? How would the British public react to such a demand by the government ?

Comment

Ive often wondered that. Personally I would go right along a join up and leave Uni until after.

However I don't see it being a real possibility in the UK. Even if they conscripted people, and it went down well with the country, the people would go ape once these soldiers started getting killed in large numbers.

The trouble is, conscription has to mean everybody. Which means you cant really train them all to a really good level. So ALOT of them would get killed in situations a regular might live through, due to their better training.

Then again, instead of giving teenagers ASBO's, send them on a tour of Afghanistan. That'll straighten them out!!!

Comment

I'd go to Iran, Afghanistan, Sudan, whatever, if they gave me the citizenship.

Comment

Looks like I will be getting that kit bag out of the loft then

Comment

Hmmm service for fast tracked citizenship... Interesting

Starship Troopers is the way 2 go

Comment

Thank God for generals like Dannette , a soldiers soldier , who has the balls to tell poxy politicians how it is , we havent got the manpower Brown .as for conscripts , does anyone really think that the shower of crap hanging around at night could do the gig ,,

the answer is yes ,

if the job consisted of mugging old ladies , throwing stones through windows and general anti social behaviour , lets face it , most of them cant even write their own names , except on a giro check

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Thank God for generals like Dannette , a soldiers soldier , who has the balls to tell poxy politicians how it is , we havent got the manpower Brown .as for conscripts , does anyone really think that the shower of crap hanging around at night could do the gig ,,

the answer is yes ,

if the job consisted of mugging old ladies , throwing stones through windows and general anti social behaviour , lets face it , most of them cant even write their own names , except on a giro check
                      A good old Soviet-style machine gunning from the back by Internal Affairs will help this chaps forward.

Comment

meh turn them into paratroopers. or given they are scrapping Parachute training, turn them into 'HKEW's (HUMAN KENETIC ENERGY WEAPONS.) Basically you drop them out he back of a plane, and when they hit the ground the enemy is so shocked by all the mess (splat) they give up and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                          meh turn them into paratroopers. or given they are scrapping Parachute training, turn them into 'HKEW's (HUMAN KENETIC ENERGY WEAPONS.) Basically you drop them out he back of a plane, and when they hit the ground the enemy is so shocked by all the mess (splat) they give up and go home.
                          i like it , however , it would be left to real soldiers to clean up the crap ,

as you no doubt know , the British Army cant go anywhere in the world without sweeping it and pick up dead leaves and litter and HKEWs from outer space would come into that cattegory,, it just wouldnt be cricket to do the vultures and crows out of a meal now would it :)

Comment

Maybe they will spend some of the £100 billion they just announced on CHAV BOMBS

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                              Maybe they will spend some of the £100 billion they just announced on CHAV BOMBS
                              Open up night clubs in Tehran and give the chavs strategic airlift. We will se no Iran in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X