No announcement yet.

Modernized Iowa Class versus Essex WWII Carrier Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well.. not sure how the older CIWS would do, but the new block 1B, with infared camera and LLTV cameras would do much better against a slow moving target such as a WW2 torpedo bomber or dive bomber.. (just lock the camera on the incoming aircraft and let it do it's work)

What I've recently though of, take an Arleigh Burke back in time, loaded with ESSM in it's vertical launchers and use it too take out the incoming Japanese aircraft.. wonder if any of them( *** planes) would have survived?

96 missile cells, and 4 missiles in each cell = 384 missiles total...

Comment

On the clock

I s'pose a nip in time would save etc

Sorry, but to slant the issue would have been short-sighted of me. Given the rules it would have been szu awful of me to go all kamikaze. Not wanting to appaear at all yellow or surprise anyone I would feel ashamed by my highly inflamatory fly by words.

Beat that for rotten puns. There are most likely guys on Pacific Islands who should be told!
      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

How about gas - or should that be Gas? Just an unpleasent thought. I assume the ships are sealed. Wind direction could help a few WWII crop sprayers do vile things before they were worth the intercept.
        To much wind a battleship is fast and it doesn't matter its a dead calm its still an effectice wind and so dispersal would be amajor problem no real way to introduce it into the ship.

Comment

Iowa center of buoyancy

Originally posted by Rick DeBay View Post
          Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          The sub-bases were even designed to take the 30mm Goal Keeper should it be adopted by the Navy.
          ...I assume the extra weight of a Goalkeeper on levels 4 and 5 would not be noticeable on a ship that size.
          BTW, what was the center of buoyancy/gravity on an Iowa? Also, where was the waterline with respect to the decks? Was it about even with the third deck? Any issues with it becoming top heavy?
          We distinguish ourselves from our enemies by our treatment of our enemies. - John McCain

Comment

What was the range on WWII aerial torpedoes? Seems like that's the key, how far out the bombers could release their weapons. The Vulcan is a great close in system, but it is, after all, a 20 mm weapon. Not really good for long range fire. I wonder how long 900 rounds would last against a strike from 90 aircraft? Rusty said it was 18 seconds worth of firing time, so maybe half second bursts would give you 36 shots per gun, two guns on a side gives 72 shots, assuming 100% accuracy. So if they concentrated on one side, which they would do in order to capsize the ship anyway, they could possibly empty the guns. Leaving 3 twin 5"/45s, pretty effective AA guns themselves. I wonder how many planes an Essex could launch at a time? If they couldn't launch the whole air wing, the Iowa might have time to reload between strikes.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
              96 missile cells, and 4 missiles in each cell = 384 missiles total...
              Since when can you put 4 STANDARDS in one tube?
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Since when can you put 4 STANDARDS in one tube?
                Evolved Sea Sparrows, not Standards.
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick DeBay View Post
                  BTW, what was the center of buoyancy/gravity on an Iowa? Also, where was the waterline with respect to the decks? Was it about even with the third deck? Any issues with it becoming top heavy?
                  Oh dear! I would have to dig very deep into my stuff to find the calculations done by Jim Kaping and Isaac Cavalier in the Scientific Design Section to find the CG of the ship.

Waterline at full load was just above third deck. This meant that the armor belt at torpedo bulkhead 3 would still be about 7 feet above an incoming torpedo.

At first I was overly concerned with too much topside weight when designing the new deckhouses, armored compartments, etc. We had problems with other ships of being too top heavy.

Then Kaping reminded me that the battleship could probably take a 45 degree roll and even with decks awash (provided all hatches are battened down) would still right herself.

I felt better then and added a bit more armor here and there when the budget allowed it.

Fortunately, I never had to ride one heeling over 45 degrees.

Comment

Oh dear! I would have to dig very deep into my stuff to find the calculations done by Jim Kaping and Isaac Cavalier in the Scientific Design Section to find the CG of the ship.
                    Vertical Center of Gravity (VCG) for USS New Jersey (BB-62), before and after 1982 reactivation :

* Baseline VCG : 34.7 feet
                    * Modernized VCG : 35.5 feet

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
                      Vertical Center of Gravity (VCG) for USS New Jersey (BB-62), before and after 1982 reactivation :

* Baseline VCG : 34.7 feet
                      * Modernized VCG : 35.5 feet
                      That sounds about right. Just less than a foot below full load waterline.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap View Post
                        Beat that for rotten puns. There are most likely guys on Pacific Islands who should be told!
                        Careful you're not shot down in flames
                        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Not that I get my facts from movies, but I have never been able to find anything to the contrary. In the movie Under Siege, they say the Missouri is carrying 40,000 rounds for the CIWS. Does anyone know if that is correct?
                          The same hammer that shatters the glass forges the steel.
                          -Russian Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by talshiar View Post
                            Not that I get my facts from movies, but I have never been able to find anything to the contrary. In the movie Under Siege, they say the Missouri is carrying 40,000 rounds for the CIWS. Does anyone know if that is correct?
                            Well, I designed the armored magazines for them and, if memory serves, they were to hold at least 10,000 rounds each. So, 4 X 10,000 = 40,000. So it is probably right.

Comment

Well, I designed the armored magazines for them
                              Goddamnit I love this forum
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Was just browsing the elevator "system" yesterday for getting the ammo up to the CIWS mounts on I believe the 05 level. Still there but plated or hatched over the vertical tram ways.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X