Is USS IOWA Coming to Vallejo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is USS IOWA Coming to Vallejo ?

I'm not on this site much, but for a while it seemed like everyone was so concerned about the Iowa. What happend? Is it still floating at Suie Bay or did it sink?

WHAT IS HAPPENING? Does anyone know how I can find current information? Did the Navy decide not to donate this ship? Why do I feel I'm the only one that cares.

I have two family members who just left to Iraq and to me who ever served on this Battleship deserves respect and for us to just ignor whats happening is frustrating to me. Yes perhaps no one on this site knows much either but I thought I just throw this out there in hopes of just maybe one person would know whats going on.

God Bless America!!!!
    Last edited by BattleshipsUSA; 20 Jul 07,, 05:56. Reason: Correcting a Word.

Originally posted by BattleshipsUSA View Post
    I'm not on this site much, but for a while it seemed like everyone was so concerned about the Iowa. What happend? Is it still floating at Suie Bay or did it sink?

WHAT IS HAPPENING? Does anyone know how I can find current information? Did the Navy decide not to donate this ship? Why do I feel I'm the only one that cares.

I have two family members who just left to Iraq and to me who ever served on this Battleship deserves respect and for us to just ignor whats happening is frustrating to me. Yes perhaps no one on this site knows much either but I thought I just throw this out there in hopes of just maybe one person would know whats going on.

God Bless America!!!!
    The Iowa is still in Suisun Bay a few miles inland of San Francisco. As of last year the only group left standing with a bid for the Iowa was the Historic Ships Memorial of Pacific Square. Since the city of San Francisco kept putting up roadblocks to berth any Battleship there, the City of Vallejo would love to have it berthed at Mare Island (a former Navy submarine building yard).

I led two inspections of the Iowa last year and we even wrote the bid package for HSMPS. My inspection teams were made up of engineers, technicians and Program Managers who reactived the ships in the 1980's and members of the Iowa Class Preservation Association.

The Stockton group had to pull out because the Port of Stockton withdrew its support to have the ship berthed at Rough and Ready Island (a former Naval Supply Center).

We are just waiting now on pins and needles for the Navy to respond to our bid.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

YNCS Don Harribine, USN(RET)
      Originally posted by BattleshipsUSA View Post

God Bless America!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X