Iran: Bahrain is an Iranian Province

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran: Bahrain is an Iranian Province

"A diplomatic crisis has developed between Iran and Bahrain, following a statement by an adviser to Iran's Spiritual Leader 'Ali Khamanei, according to which Bahrain is an Iranian province.

Bahrain's Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid Bin Ahmad Al Khalifa on Wednesday summoned Iran's charge d’affairs to explain his country's official stand on an editorial written by Hussein Shari'atmadari. The latter, apart from his position at the Spiritual Leader's office, is also managing editor of the Iranian official daily Keyhan.

In his editorial Shari'atmadari claimed the main demand of the Bahraini people was the return of the "Bahraini Province" to its motherland, Iran. Shari'atmadari also said Bahrain was separated from Iran following "an illegal agreement between the Iranian shah and the governments of the United States and Britain."

The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary-General 'Abd A-Rahman Al 'Atiyya strongly condemned the editorial. Such statements targeted the sovereignty of GCC states, 'Atiyya said.

Bahrain, a member of the GCC, is a small island state located in the Persian Gulf. With just over 700,000 civilians living in the Kingdom, Bahrain is facing internal discontent from its large Shi'ite minority, which amounts to approximately 70 percent of its entire population.

In March 2007 an Iranian dissident diplomat revealed details of the recruitment and training in Iran of citizens from the Persian Gulf states. 'Adil Al-Asadi was an adviser to Iran's foreign minister and was later posted to Dubai as the Iranian consul.

According to Al-Asadi, after receiving military training in Iran, these mostly Shi'ite citizens formed dormant cells in the Persian Gulf states, where they now await Iranian orders.

The Bahraini Foreign Ministry confirmed to The Media Line the strong reaction of the ministry to the comments.

Bahrain’s Shoura Council, a consultative council which constitutes part of the legislature, expressed its “distress and condemnation” of what it called irresponsible comments. The council called on Iran to respect the good neighborly relations between Bahrain and Iran and between the two peoples.

A council statement also called on Bahraini officials to clarify the comments through official channels.

Iran must stop issuing such statements, which will only cause more tension in the region and serve the enemies of the Arab and Islamic nations, the statement said."

The Media Line
    The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
    Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
    - The Eagles

Iran is trying to draw too much attention towards itself. They wish to cause instability in their region at any chance they get.

Comment

Cool. We all know what happened when Iraq claimed Kuwait was a province.

What is wrong with the Iranian government? It's one thing to pick on the hated Jews in Israel. It's quite another to pick on your fellow muslim neighbors.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Later we'll be told that 'they' never said that and it wasn't/doesn't translate that way...

Comment

Arab vs Persian
          Sunni vs Shia vs kurd
          Hamas vs Fahta

I wish the USA would just step back and let the factions go at it, seems they would plenty busy killing each other if the west would back off a bit.

Comment

That is a very good idea. However we have to keep fanning the flame so they will continue this trend. We can't just let them be. They might somehow reach a truce and unite against the west.

Fat chance of that happening...but hey, we need something to do for entertainment.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              Cool. We all know what happened when Iraq claimed Kuwait was a province.

What is wrong with the Iranian government? It's one thing to pick on the hated Jews in Israel. It's quite another to pick on your fellow muslim neighbors.
              You'd think Khameini would be smarter, less crazy-brave, or suicidal than the late ruler of Iraq when he started claiming Kuwait was an Iraqi province.

Comment

All these problems are because of artificial boundaries made by the colonial powers when they left.

It is a moot point if it was done with a long term strategy or was it sheer callousness.

Being a citizen from such a division, I find it most deplorably Machiavellian.

It has led to much sorrows and a very tardy progress.
                Last edited by Ray; 15 Jul 07,, 20:18.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

BudW Reply

"Arab vs Persian
                  Sunni vs Shia vs kurd
                  Hamas vs Fahta

I wish the USA would just step back and let the factions go at it, seems they would plenty busy killing each other if the west would back off a bit."

No doubt that without an overwhelming strategic imperative-energy security, that might be the case. It isn't. Worse, these comments are further evidence of Iran's de-stabilizing persona. If Iran acquires nuclear weapons astride the straits of Hormuz, S.A., Jordan, and Egypt will have little choice but to also pursue these weapons.

So much for the NPT. Oh, and I'd say that the liklihood of use will have just made a quantum leap.

It really is an amazing comment, calling to question the supposed chess-like acumen of the Persian leadership. Their appetite for brinksmanship is astounding and reckless.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I find it quite entertaining when the Iranian government accuses the U.S. and Britain of stealing their province, when in fact the Iranians or more specifically the Persians also conquored many of these small states. The Ottomans did as well, but these are inconveinient facts......

Bahrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Kuwait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    UAE (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
                    Dubai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

hehehe

Hi Smiling, speaking of conquerors ... you forgot the mother of all empires: British Empire in the middleeast.

nowadays, for some reason it has suddenly became conviniant to talk about western powers sponcered UAE, Kuwait, Qatar etc. etc. asthough they had somesort of history before the collpase of the Sublime Porte.

Bahrain may have been a persian territory once, but no more, eventhough a large number there are either Persians or half-persians. As far as I am concern the borders are frozen. Too bad we lost it, just as it was too bad we lost Baghdad in the west to the Turks, the Causcians territory to the north to the Russians, or Baluchestan to the east to the British India.

I just hope if one day Canada or the United States loose a major chunck of their territory into various seperate states called ex: CAE, Cuwait, Catar ... we (Canada and US) will take it like a man and dont b-i-t-c-h about lost territories like Iran does. Right?? ...

because after all Canada and US were founded on other people's land.
                      Last edited by xerxes; 23 Jul 07,, 00:34.

Comment

Xerxes Reply

"I just hope if one day Canada or the United States loose a major chunck of their territory ... we (Canada and US) will take it like a man and dont b-i-t-c-h about lost territories like Iran does. Right?? ..."

Riiiight...Meanwhile, until then, let's focus on Iran. Your speculation about the U.S. and Canada, a lovely history lesson/Persian travelogue to dispossessed lands, and slight cynicism aside-

It is an amazing and dangerous comment, though only another in a long series. So much so that we are nearly numb to the rather stark implications. After all, it's Iran, and we're used to this nonsense.

Right??...;)
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                          hehehe

Hi Smiling, speaking of conquerors ... you forgot the mother of all empires: British Empire in the middleeast.

nowadays, for some reason it has suddenly became conviniant to talk about western powers sponcered UAE, Kuwait, Qatar etc. etc. asthough they had somesort of history before the collpase of the Sublime Porte.

Bahrain may have been a persian territory once, but no more, eventhough a large number there are either Persians or half-persians. As far as I am concern the borders are frozen. Too bad we lost it, just as it was too bad we lost Baghdad in the west to the Turks, the Causcians territory to the north to the Russians, or Baluchestan to the east to the British India.

I just hope if one day Canada or the United States loose a major chunck of their territory into various seperate states called ex: CAE, Cuwait, Catar ... we (Canada and US) will take it like a man and dont b-i-t-c-h about lost territories like Iran does. Right?? ...

because after all Canada and US were founded on other people's land.
                          ....those people, who were nomadic, conquored other tribes and pushed them off "their land" as well and it went on for many century's. It wasn't till the white man came with his non-nomadic ways that they started claiming "their land" was being stolen.

As for losing territory, hey if Quebec wants to separate they'll have to make due with pre-confederation boundary's which means negotiating with the same "other people" you mentioned.
                          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

No intention to start a pissing contest, but what will happen if Iran launches an invasion? Will a single trooper ever land in Bahrain?

Iran is trying to show the world that they are as important as the US. It's working out well, given the fact that they have their own forum on WAB.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              Iran is trying to show the world that they are as important as the US. It's working out well, given the fact that they have their own forum on WAB.

OMG.

Comment

Working...
                              X