Putting a link in a few words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a link in a few words

I've never learned how to do this. For instance, how would I write down a link in this form so that you could click it and it would take it to the designated site:

Read this

Any help?
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
    I've never learned how to do this. For instance, how would I write down a link in this form so that you could click it and it would take it to the designated site:

Read this

Any help?
    Leib,

vBulletin uses a modified version of html scripting (I'm not supersmart on html, but know some very rudimentary stuff) which is pretty simple.

All of your scripting tags use a "[" and "]" to open and close the script. I will replace those with "{" and "}" so it doesn't execute the script, meaning you wouldn't be able to see the language. Here it goes:

For a link, vBulletin uses

{url=www.this_is_the_link_that_will_open_when_clic ked.com}

as the opening tag and then

{/url}

as the closing tag for the script. By placing words in between the two tags, those words will be what shows in your post as the underlined link. For example, what you would see from above is as the opening tag and then and it will link to the site "www.this_is_the_link_that_will_open_when_clicked. com".

So, to create a link to WAB with the text "read here", you'd write

{url=www.worldaffairsboard.com}read here{/url}

With the proper brackets, it looks like this when executed

read here

I hope this helps.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Yep, that did it. Thanks.
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Or you can highlight the desired text, then click on the link button and paste the url inside the box (saves ~4 seconds).

Comment

Shek and Fibrillator can speak Martian, but this air-breathing, warm blooded, carbon-based, terrestrial-dwelling unit can NOT
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Glyn, when looking at an interesting page, left click in the little box at the top that says something like this
            http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/......tml#post386692
            this will highlight it and by pressing the ctrl key and the letter c key simultaneously, your computer will copy it.
            Then when typing in your reply, write something like 'Source', highlight it by dragging your mouse across it whilst holding down the left mouse button, then click on the little globe with a chain below it on the toolbar above the reply box. If you rest your mouse on it, a little box will appear saying 'insert link'.
            A second box will appear when you click on it, which says 'please enter the url of your link'.
            press 'ctrl' & 'v' on your keyboard and ok. It will paste the link into the box, and use the text 'Source' or whatever other word you wish to use as the visible link.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

{url=www.worldaffairsboard.com}read here{/url}

Parihaka's version

read here
              Last edited by Parihaka; 03 Jul 07,, 00:04.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Pari,

I cut and paste.

It did not work fo me.

Please give it step by step since I tried the one suggested and it did not work in the thread on London defused bombing

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Parihaka,

Thanks

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                    Pari,

I cut and paste.

It did not work fo me.

Please give it step by step since I tried the one suggested and it did not work in the thread on London defused bombing
                    Ray, just replace { and } with [ and ] (upper case vs lower case on the same keys), and you are there. I'll edit your post to demonstrate. Once I've done that you can edit the same post to see how it is done.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      Ray, just replace { and } with [ and ] (upper case vs lower case on the same keys), and you are there. I'll edit your post to demonstrate. Once I've done that you can edit the same post to see how it is done.

Where is this {and} that you talk about?

In the defused bomb thread?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        Where is this {and} that you talk about?

In the defused bomb thread?
                        Right here Ray;)

Leibniz

Comment

I'll do a pictorial version tonight when I'm on my Mac, it's much easier to take partial screenshots with that.

Leibniz

Comment

Pari,

You little wizard of NewOZ!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Righty ho says I, there's an interesting news article, the good folks at WAB will want a gander at that.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X