No announcement yet.

horse mounted cavalry in modern armies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Italian Alpini use mules with great success.My own country's (Romanian) Mountain Troops use horses in pretty much the same circumstances you described.Horses also have the benefit of being silent.Vehicles or helicopters can be detected by the most deaf enemy recon patrol or listening post.Border Troops on the rugged border with Ukraine used to have informal mounted troops a few years ago,but I don't know about the current practices.
    I recall USMC training with mules for mountain operations,but beyond that I don't know if they actually used them in action.There is of course the famous action by the USSF in A-stan.Ironic that 3d millenium warfare started with cavalry charges.

Xinhui on this forum could tell a thing or two about Chinese use of cavalry for their People Armed Police in Xinjiang.
    I also know the Egyptian army uses camel mounted squadrons for patrols along borders,in areas that cannot be reached by motor vehicles.A far cry for the use in mountains,but still old school.Actually old school might be at term considered by some as pejorative.Rather ''good school'' should be used.If it works,don't even try to fix it.It's not remaining fixated on tradition,but use common sense solution to current problems.
    Beautiful pictures.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Can't recognize the breed. I'm assuming mixes? Must be long time training for them not to buck and lie down under fire.

Comment

The IDF used Llamas in Lebanon 2006 to schlep stuff

and uses Eland Antelopes to keep the weeds down and the fields of fire clear by the northern border with Lebanon

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

About the use of mules, they are used by the Chilean and Argentine Mountain Infantry...

Comment

(off-topic)

Hello mounted, do the Chilean military still use the distinctly Prussian/Imperial German parade Uniform?

I watched this video on Youtube, it showed the pointy-helmet and the M42 helmets/Stalhelm in action.

I have to say though that its really hard to beat the Prussians for their military marches and uniform.

On Topic: Isn't Cavalry more noticeable/hard to manouever in a forested/jungle environment?
            "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Spiffy,aren't they?Speaking of parades,the Germans knew how to make them.The Russians still do.The Chinese or NK ones,just look somehow vulgar
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Hello Wayfarer, actually yes, we still use those uniforms for parade. About mounted units, you are right about they could be more noticeable in some cases, but provide you celerity and easier access in forested environment (areas that on foot you just cannot reach) and even you can easily pass through rivers…

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                  The Chinese or NK ones,just look somehow vulgar
                  Excuse me?

Comment

Sir,I can't associate red skirts with the solemn moment of a parade.Its something that's supposed to strike fear in the enemy's hearts,not make them hard

Comment

So, the parade was not vulgar, just your thoughts.

Comment

This is part of an obit I wrote for a friend who died in 2007, at the age of 81:
                        Ilet Henry "Fred" Fredricks

To say Fred had an unusual life would be more of a misstatement than an understatement. Oil man, fireman, salesman, policeman, lawyer, accountant, political activist and cavalry soldier is more of a linage than a life, but that’s who Fred was.

After just ten years of formal schooling (and a year working for an oil company), he joined the volunteer fire department and entered a civil engineering degree program at Oklahoma A&M College, just a month shy of his 17th birthday. As was common in 1943, he shortly thereafter joined the US Army Enlisted Reserve Corps, but they sent him back to school.

In its vast wisdom, the Army decided that what it needed from Fred was the ability to ride and fight while mounted . . . on a horse. Fred was sent to the 129th Cavalry Regiment in March 1944, the last unit of its kind established for active (rather than ceremonial) duty. A few months later, the combined British, American, Chinese and Burmese forces finally got out of the Burmese jungle and into its central plains. What they needed was someone familiar with managing pack horses in such territory, and Sergeant Fredricks got the call.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                          Sir,I can't associate red skirts with the solemn moment of a parade.Its something that's supposed to strike fear in the enemy's hearts,not make them hard
                          Do not make fun of the "Revolutionary GoGo Squad."
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
                            (off-topic)

Hello mounted, do the Chilean military still use the distinctly Prussian/Imperial German parade Uniform?

I watched this video on Youtube, it showed the pointy-helmet and the M42 helmets/Stalhelm in action.

I have to say though that its really hard to beat the Prussians for their military marches and uniform.

On Topic: Isn't Cavalry more noticeable/hard to manouever in a forested/jungle environment?
                            Germans had the best goose steps and really knew how to do a parade. Russians, and especially the North Koreans, have overly exagerated goose steps.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Russian Mountain Troops

Comment

Great!!! thanks...

Comment

Working...
                                X