Which Processor ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    My last 2 gaming machines are AMD AthlonXP and Athlon64 X2. Both kick some good ass. I have my X2 overclocked from 2GHz to 2.4GHz, and running more stable than before.

I think your friend's machine might have some other troubles. Usually the motherboard is not up to par with the rest of the components. I'm very picky about my boards.
    Perhaps that was it. I've got a serious problem with either my motherboard or my processor on my XPS M1710 right now.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by chankya View Post
      AMD processors are good except they tend to heat up like billyo. So if you're getting a laptop then I don't suggest it but for a desktop as long as you have good heat dissipation AMD is awesome.
      AMD's Athlons (Thunderbird core) were like space heaters. They are 2nd to only Pentium 4 at creating heat.

AthlonXP was a bit better.

Early Athlon64s were like AthlonXP.

Today's AMD laptop procs (Turion, which is just a lower powered Athlon64) are 2nd to Core 2 in coolness...I guess that's the word. I would not hesitate to buy an AMD laptop if the video card is up to par and the price is right.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
        Perhaps that was it. I've got a serious problem with either my motherboard or my processor on my XPS M1710 right now.
        That's interesting. The XPS M1710 has very good specs. Dell's motherboards aren't quite what I would like, but they aren't bad. In fact I am still using an Inspiron 600m that's 4 years old to do most of my stuff with the exception of gaming.

Maybe Dell's bloatware is slowing your computer down.

Comment

No, the actual hardware is damaged. It is badly overheating, and a faulty motherboard or processor is the cause, according to the computer technicians I took it to, resulting in generally slow performance and poor framerates on videos.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

In fact I am still using an Inspiron 600m that's 4 years old to do most of my stuff with the exception of gaming.
            I'm still using a Compaq 5003US... upgraded as needed (HD, RAM, disc drives). I've had it since February 2000.

933 Mhz Intel Pentium 3 (133 Mhz FSB)
            512MB PC133 SDRAM
            80GB 7200RPM HD
            16x DVD-ROM
            48x12x48x CD-RW
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
              No, the actual hardware is damaged. It is badly overheating, and a faulty motherboard or processor is the cause, according to the computer technicians I took it to, resulting in generally slow performance and poor framerates on videos.
              Hmmm...have you opened it up to see if all the heatsinks are properly attached? It sounds like the heatsink might not be in perfect contact with the processor, resulting in the processor "throttling" to prevent a thermal death.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                I'm still using a Compaq 5003US... upgraded as needed (HD, RAM, disc drives). I've had it since February 2000.

933 Mhz Intel Pentium 3 (133 Mhz FSB)
                512MB PC133 SDRAM
                80GB 7200RPM HD
                16x DVD-ROM
                48x12x48x CD-RW
                Nothing wrong with that.

I just recently retired my old P3 866MHz. The only reason being that it randomly reboots. I bought the board off ebay maybe 4 or 5 years ago to house the hardware I have. It's probably more expensive to get another board than what I can get out of it. That not a bad service life for a used board off ebay.

Comment

I plan to make it last 10 years. I can't play most new games, but I'm not really a gamer anyways. I would still like to find a decent PCI video card though.

Comment

Ok, I repaired a computer I bought a year and a half ago.

Specs:

1.7Ghz Intel Celeron
                    512MB DDR 266 RAM

I'm looking to upgrade the processor... I've found compatible 2.0Ghz processors on the net for under $50. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to switch from the Celeron to the P4?

Comment

these are my specs:

pentium D 3.4Ghz processor
                      2GB DDR2 RAM
                      Nvidia 7600GT
                      200GB SATA II HDD

i built it about a year ago for games and a little bit of homework:) its getting a bit old now though for a gaming rig, my HDD is constantly full, and my graphics card is ageing. i am hopefully going to put in a new motherboard that is SLi compatible so i can buy another 7600 and use 2 at once:)
                      die, no0b

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        Ok, I repaired a computer I bought a year and a half ago.

Specs:

1.7Ghz Intel Celeron
                        512MB DDR 266 RAM

I'm looking to upgrade the processor... I've found compatible 2.0Ghz processors on the net for under $50. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade to switch from the Celeron to the P4?
                        You may have to replace the memory as well.

Celerons are Pentiums running at slower bus speed and with only 1/4 of the L2 cache memory enabled. Switching from Celery to P4 will give you a tremendous boost in performance, especially for this generation (P4 based).

You have a P4 based Celery, probably on socket 478. The best and most cost effective way to upgrade is to get a Pentium4 with Northwood core running 533MHz bus speed. That way you don't have to change out the memory. Most of the time processors like to match speed with RAM. Sometimes they can work out of sync, but it's not prefered due to loss of performance. Sometimes they don't work at all if they're out of sync.

If you want to switch memory as well, make sure you get DDR400 (PC3200) RAM. That way you can get P4s running 800MHz bus speed. The significance of this is these P4s have HT (hyperthreading) enabled. Make sure you get at least 2.4GHz if you choose to go with this type of processor. The slower ones may not have HT enabled because they left the fab early.

Comment

Originally posted by RedArmySurplus View Post
                          these are my specs:

pentium D 3.4Ghz processor
                          2GB DDR2 RAM
                          Nvidia 7600GT
                          200GB SATA II HDD

i built it about a year ago for games and a little bit of homework:) its getting a bit old now though for a gaming rig, my HDD is constantly full, and my graphics card is ageing. i am hopefully going to put in a new motherboard that is SLi compatible so i can buy another 7600 and use 2 at once:)
                          You might as well just upgrade the video card to a GF8800. It alone outperforms 2 7600GT in SLI. Plus you don't have to mess with switching out the motherboard, which can be a pain. And it costs about the same too.

Make sure you have enough power to run either 2 7600GT in SLI or a single 8800. The last thing you want is to have your PS blow up and take your hard drive with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            Hmmm...have you opened it up to see if all the heatsinks are properly attached? It sounds like the heatsink might not be in perfect contact with the processor, resulting in the processor "throttling" to prevent a thermal death.
                            I could have the technicians check that. I would much rather do that than have to replace the processor or motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                            X