Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "PARA"-Tanks? The AAI "RDF Light tank" from the 1980s:

www.geocities.com/air_mech_strike

i found this while surfing. what about Airborne Tanks?

i heard about M551A1 Sheridan Tanks. Due to need of light weight they used an aluminium alloy armor. but then it became penetrable even by machine gun fire.

what is your thoughts?
    Last edited by Big K; 09 Jun 07,, 09:31.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Originally posted by Big K View Post
    www.geocities.com/air_mech_strike

what is your thoughts?
    Mike Sparks is a ID 10 Tango.

I also think he holds the record for the most time in grade for a 2d lieutenant in the US Army. He needs to go on the fat body program.

Seriously, Google him up sometime. Not a web site that you want to bring up in any serious military discussion. Unless you are going for the big laugh.

Comment

The 75mm Hyper velocity gun the Sheridan replacment was supposed to have was interesting for its time.

Comment

Potentially an interesting thread.
        Does anyone know of websites showing the FMC AGS, (I think the U.S.Army called it the M4 Buford)?; it's British equivilant, the Vickers VFM 5 or Vickers Mk.5 which used the hull of the AGS; the Cadillac Gage Stingray and Stingray 2 and, finally, the Soviet era airmobile armored vehicles?

Comment

The Buford has been cancelled and the LAV MGS has taken its place as the lead contender though I'm not sure if it's a viable platform anymore since the Canadians have canceled their order.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Mike Sparks is a ID 10 Tango.

I also think he holds the record for the most time in grade for a 2d lieutenant in the US Army. He needs to go on the fat body program.

Seriously, Google him up sometime. Not a web site that you want to bring up in any serious military discussion. Unless you are going for the big laugh.
            Holy bicycle,Gun Grape,this guy needs a new hobby .
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

it was the M-8 AGS.

Comment

I've been wracking my brain through all of this. Air deployable tanks are no doubt a very nice-to-have and at times, it's an extremely want-to-have, but is it a need-to-have? But is it worth the extra logistic train and weight and effort?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  I've been wracking my brain through all of this. Air deployable tanks are no doubt a very nice-to-have and at times, it's an extremely want-to-have, but is it a need-to-have? But is it worth the extra logistic train and weight and effort?
                  and the answer is.... NO. To really be effective Armor needs to be massed and be durable. Airborne tanks cannot meet either goal. Plus thier light weight precludes weapondry superior to what a modern infantryman can pack aorund. I'll take a typical airborne platoons worth of Javalins over an airborne tank. airborne tank's weight also precludes effective armor in an extremily hostile enviroment, even old PRG's can threaten light tanks.

Now once the infantry has secured an airfeild brinign in airdeployable veihicle sis a good idea, you need mobility to expand your airhead and to re-act to counter attacks along with attack helos.

I really like the Alvis S family for these roles, they offer good firepower across a wide spectrum for thier size and excellent mobility. I am less fon dof the weasel which is two small for my taste except in areas where aire-reinforcement will not be by fixed wing but by heavy lift helo, even then I'd rather have a hummer.

Comment

Notice how that little press release in the OP completely neglects to mention the armor protection of that vehicle.

While the strategic mobility of air droppable light tanks is nice and so is the firepower they bring, I think their limited armored protection and the logistical demands outweigh these benefits. That said I think a few Scorpions and Sabres would do the 82nd Airborne some good for certain types fo missions.

Comment

Alvis S family

sub 8 ton weight, high speed, affordable

Scorpion- Light Tank 76mm/90mm low velocity gun

Scimitar- Recon Tank 30mm cannon

Sabre- Recon veihicle

Striker- ATGM

Spartan- APC

Sultan- Command viehicle

Samaritan- Ambulance

Samson- Revovery viehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                        Holy bicycle,Gun Grape,this guy needs a new hobby .
                        Bicycles indeed. Sparky proposed the US Army to have all-terrain bikes.

Comment

How far is the BMD-3 from being an airborne tank?

Comment

Low velocity guns? Give me a TOW and a satchel charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              Low velocity guns? Give me a TOW and a satchel charge.
                              The guns offer a higer rate of firer and better AP usage, but ya I agree with you although I prefer the javalin lighter and its fire and forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X