Thoughts about FN 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about FN 90

during my military service i fired a couple of times with FN 90. and i loved it.

Caliber: 5.7x28mm SS190
    Weight: 2.54 kg empty; 3 kg loaded with magazine with 50 rounds
    Length: 500 mm
    Barrel length: 263 mm
    Rate of fire: 900 rounds per minute
    Magazine capacity: 50 rounds
    Effective range: 200 meters

whats your opinion? did any of members used it in combat? was it effective, reliable etc.?
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

I've seen the P 90 being used in Soldier Front, but I've never fired it (I'm only 13).

It seems like a good maneuverable weapon at close quarters, but I do miss the stopping power of the Ak-47's 7.64mm ammo.

Overall, I like this gun, and it wouldn't be surprising if I owed my life to it.
    I have no idea what I'm doing. Honestly!

Comment

I've handled and fired a PS90 (civilian semi-auto version of the P90). It was probably the most uncomfortable weapon I've ever fired (along with the FS2000... FN must not be good on the comfortability department). You have to crane your neck down considerably, and the grip areas are something awkward to me. Other than that, the weapon was okay. Good sights, good accuracy, low recoil. A major negative side is the magazine, which can empty its contents if not handled correctly. Even so, it holds a useful 50 rounds. Couple this with a round that can penetrate body armor, and you have a cop's worst nightmare.

I've heard a lot of biitching about the 5.7x28's terminal ballistics, though. Supposedly, the MP7's 4.6x30 round is better in this respect.
      Last edited by leib10; 05 Jun 07,, 03:18.
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
        Couple this with a round that can penetrate body armor, and you have a cop's worst nightmare.

Yeah, but only military/law enforcement can get the actual armor piercing ammo, no?

I've heard a lot of biitching about the 5.7x28's terminal ballistics, though. Supposedly, the MP7's 4.6x30 round is better in this respect.

You sure this ain't coming out of your love HK ;)
        In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
        The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

IIRC the round will still give pretty good penetration against body armor.

And no, it's not because of my love of HK (although IMO they are the best gunmakers in the world, bar none). Although I myself have doubts, as the 4.6x30 round is even smaller than the 5.7x28.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

a unique looking Weapon with a respectable Magazine size and unique ergonomics.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
              IIRC the round will still give pretty good penetration against body armor.

And no, it's not because of my love of HK (although IMO they are the best gunmakers in the world, bar none). Although I myself have doubts, as the 4.6x30 round is even smaller than the 5.7x28.
              Just yanking your chain there, bud. I guess all we gotta do is wait, the German SOF are already using them in A-stan, hopefully we'll soon find out how these new PDW rounds perform on people.
              The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Any official documentation on that matter will probably be classified. But who knows, maybe we'll hear about it from first-hand operators.

For me, the MP7 and P90 seems a bit out of place with their rounds' emphasis placed on penetrating body armor, of which the terrorists don't seem to have much. But who knows, maybe its real-world terminal performance is actually pretty good. The P90 has been around for years and yet has only been used in action a few times (that is declassified) and the MP7 is just now getting to units.

BTW, the MP7 is slated to replace the P8 in some roles. The MG4 is also slated to replace the venerable MG3 at squad level, although it will be retained for the medium role and on vehicles.

Comment

@ Leib 10, is the new picture in your avatar a bodyguard of General Grevious ?? :)

Comment

Ha, no, but he does bear a passing resemblance, doesn't he?

No, he's a Metro Cop from Half Life 2.

Comment

The US Army soldiers I have talked to dislike it. From their perspective, armor-piercing SMG type weapons (the PDW) is a solution waiting for a problem, since tactical carbines firing standard military cartridges can easily kill an armored man, and their lenght does not signicantly hinder close quarters battle and furthmore has the advantages of range for most combat applications. If one is in confines too tight for a carbine--switch to your pistol (if available).
                      Last edited by Triple C; 06 Jun 07,, 08:56.
                      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

The Bundeswehr has taken an interesting course of action. The MP7 is about the size of a large pistol, and can easily be fired in one hand. Yet, with its collapsing stock, it can be shouldered and fired like a SMG or rifle, and is often equipped with small optical sights. Therefore, I think it would be a good replacement for the pistol IN SOME ROLES. It can basically do anything a pistol can do, and offer greatly enhanced range, accuracy, and hit probability with the ability to penetrate body armor, something no true pistol can guarantee.

The MP7 has already been adopted by the Bundeswehr in large numbers, and others as well, including the Norwegians (who plan to replace their MP5's with MP7's).

It is perhaps a step towards the future, although the bullet's lethality is an area for improvement I'm sure.

Comment

That is definately true. For soldiers that have duties other than combat it might yet find itself a niche.

Leib's avatar? That's the evil soldier of the Combine authority on Earth...
                          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Good eye, my friend. :)

But yes, that's the whole PDW concept. I've yet to handle a real MP7 yet (it will probably be some time before most civilians get to) but it looks like it'd be a lot more comfortable than a P90, while being compact enough to be carried in a big holster, like they sometimes are.

Comment

Here's a nice PDW:

Defense Review - DefRev Exclusive! MagPul PDR (Personal Defense Rifle) 5.56 PDW (Photos!)

Comment

Working...
                              X