Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC winner "failed to demonstrate that you have strong ties with the UK."

...and has been refused entry.

I suspect a number of you will have heard about this by now, but WO1 Tul Bahadur Pun VC has applied to move to the UK for health reasons and had his application turned down because apparently a VC won while serving in the British Army is not a strong enough tie to the UK.
    This has (understandably) upset a very large number of people over at Arrse, who are now running a campaign to get him into the country ASAP (the thread can be found here: British Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > The Serious Bit > > Current Affairs, News and Analysis > > VC hero Gurkha banned from Britain ).

Can those of you living in the UK please write to your MPs urging them to support Mr Pun's appeal. It is very easy to do - just go to WriteToThem.com - Email or fax your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, London Assembly Member for free , fill in your postcode and follow the links. There is also a petition on the 10 Downing Street website (here: Petition to: immediately and retrospectively give all Gurkha servicemen and their immediate families past and present british citizenship. ) to allow Gurkhas to live in the UK after their term of service is up. It has collected almost 10,000 signatures in the last 4 days.
    For everybody else, there is a website set up to support him at vchero.co.uk - VCHero - all emails sent to there will be put before the immigration tribunal at his appeal.

His citation reads as follows:
    No. 10119 Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupations. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.
    Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
    Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

It is a matter of the deepest shame that the UK lets in vast numbers of free-loading criminal undesirables, yet bans this Gurkha who risked his life in the Allied cause.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

wow, shameful

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        wow, shameful
        Seems to be pretty much the standard attitude towards serving and ex forces in the UK nowadays. I've even had one guy at work complaining about some TV footage he saw of RMs in Afghanistan using Javelin against a Taleban position - he said it was a waste of taxes and they should have just used 5.56mm instead to save him money. IMHO this is why it has struck such a chord on Arrse - people are finally getting fed up of fighting two wars and not even being treated well afterwards. For a VC winner to be treated like this just takes the biscuit.

Comment

No disrespect meant but, we seem to welcome with open arms the dregs of the world, yet a man who risked his life in a far off land, and is treated in such a shameful way is yet another nail in this once great lands coffin, just what do you have to do to demonstrate a tie with this country, United Kingdom, Great Britain, England, blah, which one do I indentify with, after reading something like this, none of the above

Comment

Any British military personel will be ashamed at this action , Bob dont appologise for what you have said , your right about the way this country of ours opens its arms to the scum of the earth then treats a HERO like this MAN the way they have , bring back Guy Fawlkes and his crew , and blow thie mealy mouthed shower of shite we call govt to bits ,, BASTARDS

Comment

Gents,
              I guess there is an (British Army) emotional reason for this refusal to allow Rifleman Pun into the UK, dating back to 1946/47.

At the time of Independence of India, the British being rather attached to the Gurkhas, wanted them to be part of the British Army but the Gurkhs having fought in far of lands since years and away from home did not want to leave India (the other 4 regiments transfered to the British army fought again in Malaya). Hence a referendum of sorts was held and units voted in mass to remain in India, especially the 3/6th Gurkha Rifles which the British were very sure would opt for Britain.

Tulbahadur Pun was from the 3rd Battalion The 6th Gurkha Rifles, which had opted for India, which became 5/5 Gurkha Rifles (I had the honour of serving along side them in Kashmir). Hence the UK government felt that he "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK."

However, the soldier is a VC, no less, and did not deserve such shoddy treatment. Its a bloody shame.
              Last edited by lemontree; 30 May 07,, 15:11.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

If the Brits don't want him, he's welcome here.

God Bless that stout heart, and I hope he gets a nice, quiet billet for the closing years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  If the Brits don't want him, he's welcome here.
                  Hey B/man , it aint ALL the brits , i would lay a bet that any military person would give him refuge if he wished it , its just the mealy mouthed slime balls in power who havent got a clue

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                    Tulbahadur Pun was from the 3rd Battalion The 6th Gurkha Rifles, which had opted for India, which became 5/5 Gurkha Rifles (I had the honour of serving along side them in Kashmir). Hence the UK government felt that he "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK."
                    Are you sure about that - multiple sources are quoting that he served in the British Army for 18 years, and joined during WW2.
                    It appears that 3Bn 6 Gurkha Rifles was pretty much destroyed during the actions in which he won his VC, and it is entirely possible that he was no longer in it at the time it transferred to India. The rest of 6 Gurkha rifles moved to the UK of course...

Edit: Just remembered, multiple news articles also mentioned that he served at least one tour of duty based in the UK. That wouldn't have happened had he transferred to India postwar.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Hey B/man , its just the mealy mouthed slime balls in power who havent got a clue
                      Eric, come out of your shell and tell it the way it is, don't be shy. Come on, get it off your chest you'll feel better:)

Comment

I hope when the Government recieve the feelings of the Nation, they hang their heads in utter shame. How dare they treat this Gentleman and Soldier in this disgraceful manner.

Here is this HERO, in the twilight of his years requesting to come to the Uk and being told that winning a VC was... NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON Now, if that does'nt send a message to others just what this Government and Country has become I don't know what will

I don't think for one moment that they have any idea of the back-lash this will cause. I hope this will also come back to haunt them come the Elections

Let's hope that if ever he meets Blair he has enough strength to draw his Kukri
                        Last edited by dave lukins; 30 May 07,, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                          I hope when the Government recieve the feelings of the Nation, they hang their heads in utter shame. How dare they treat this Gentleman and Soldier in this disgraceful manner.

Here is this HERO, in the twilight of his years requesting to come to the Uk and being told that winning a VC was... NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON Now, if that does'nt send a message to others just what this Government and Country has become I don't know what will

I don't think for one moment that they have any idea of the back-lash this will cause. I hope this will also come back to haunt them come the Elections

Let's hope that if ever he meets Blair he has enough strength to draw his Kukri
                          With you all the way, lukins. 'Screw the Veteran' - it's not just a game for politicians, but they're the ones that always 'medal' in the tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            It is a matter of the deepest shame that the UK lets in vast numbers of free-loading criminal undesirables, yet bans this Gurkha who risked his life in the Allied cause.
                            My thoughts exactly.
                            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I become a prouder Canadian everyday
                              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Working...
                              X