VC winner "failed to demonstrate that you have strong ties with the UK."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdf27 View Post
    Are you sure about that - multiple sources are quoting that he served in the British Army for 18 years, and joined during WW2.
    It appears that 3Bn 6 Gurkha Rifles was pretty much destroyed during the actions in which he won his VC, and it is entirely possible that he was no longer in it at the time it transferred to India. The rest of 6 Gurkha rifles moved to the UK of course...

Edit: Just remembered, multiple news articles also mentioned that he served at least one tour of duty based in the UK. That wouldn't have happened had he transferred to India postwar.
    I cannot be sure, as I was guessing, that this could have been one of the reasons of him being refused entry into the UK.

The 3/6th Gurkha Rifles was transfered to India, and was absorbed in the 5th Gurkha Regiment. See time line year 1948 6th Queen Elizabeth's Own Gurkha Rifles [India - UK]

The 2nd, 6th, 7th and 10 Gurkha Regiments were transfered to Britian and the remaining six regiments were transfered to India. The non-optees of the 7th and 10th Regiments were raised into a new 11th Regiment in India.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

LemonTree, it matters not a jot where and when his Regiment moved to within India. They could have been Posted to the Moon. THIS MAN IS A HERO WHO WON A VC. He is not asking to live in Buck House with Liz and Phil he just wants to come to the UK, but some pompous Ass cannot see further past his Quill to sign his application.
      Last edited by dave lukins; 31 May 07,, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
        I become a prouder Canadian everyday
        Wayne, dont walk ...run.. to their Embassy and sign the necessary Now!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          LemonTree, it matters not a jot where and when his Regiment moved to within India. They could have been Posted to the Moon. THIS MAN IS A HERO WHO WON A VC. He is not asking to live in Buck House with Liz and Phil he just wants to come to the UK, but some pompous Ass cannot see further past his Quill to sign his application.
          Its disgraceful that the British Home office is holding a 60 year old grudge. What would happen if all the former colonies actually decide to be grudgeful? Its uncalled for and rather sad.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Good news this morning ...The Government has reversed its decision and is now allowing the Hero into the country...Power to the pen

Comment

Brilliant News! Absolutely delighted. We should have automatic entry allowance for ALL Gurkhas - they are brilliant, loyal soldiers of the Crown and deserve our utmost respect and affection.

I used to be so proud of my heritage, my country - but these days all I want to do is get out! The pc brigade and loony left have ruined my land forever, there is no going back now....

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                Brilliant News! Absolutely delighted. We should have automatic entry allowance for ALL Gurkhas - they are brilliant, loyal soldiers of the Crown and deserve our utmost respect and affection.

I used to be so proud of my heritage, my country - but these days all I want to do is get out! The pc brigade and loony left have ruined my land forever, there is no going back now....
                Mike, lots of us are thinking the same way

This VC Hero still has to make his own way from his village. Once in the UK he has to live off his Pension of.... £130 a MONTH. Somehow I dont think he will want for anything though!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Mike, lots of us are thinking the same way

This VC Hero still has to make his own way from his village. Once in the UK he has to live off his Pension of.... £130 a MONTH. Somehow I dont think he will want for anything though!!
                  I am almost positive that there are already benefactors out there sending plane tickets etc for this hero of ours. He must not be allowed to vanish into the system though - this is ONE immigrant I would be more than pleased to put my hand in my pocket for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    If the Brits don't want him, he's welcome here.

God Bless that stout heart, and I hope he gets a nice, quiet billet for the closing years.
                    I heartily second that motion,we let enough reprobates into our country,this man is way beyond deserving of some peace.
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Cheers to the power of the pen.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Surely the British Legion and the Chelsea Hospital should be getting invovled in this case, I would have thought he would qulaify automatically for a bedspace, seems to me the Crown/Govt of the day suggest these awards for Valour, and yet when a soldier goes and wins one, its all a bit of an embarrasement to them,

Sorry to our overseas contributers for this, but we had a programm on TV on Saturday night, funnliy enought about the VC, it has been on before it was presented by Jeremy Clarkson, it featured a gentleman called Robert Cain, who won his VC at Arnhem during Operation Market Garden, the ill fated assault on the Bridge at the town, by British Paratroops, his actions alone would have made it essential viewing, but Clarkson also related stories of just how difficult it is to win a VC, one in particluar was a Sunderland Flying boat Captain, who having chased and engaged a U Boat, had suffered 72 wounds and had been shot in both lungs, during the fight, when he tried to return to base he found the weather conditions to rough to land his aircraft safely on the water, so stayed aloft for a hour until the weather improved. all the time passing in and out of conciouness, a report into his courageous actions prompted a reply from the war office and it stated that although he had showed tremendous courage, he had also displayed a sense of self preservation in not landing the aircraft the first time, Oh how selfish of him????,

Another related to a world war 1 pilot who had been attacked by 6 German planes and during the fight had his leg blown off, he simply reached down removed his leg, manouvered his plane so the rear gunner could get a better angle to fire his machine gun, and saw off his attackers, then landed the plane and refused medical help until after he had filed his report, the rear guner didn`t even know the pilot had lost his leg,

As a final twist, back to Robert Cain, it turned out that Clarkson was married to his daughter, and it was only when doing the research for the programme she found out her Dad was a VC winner, he had never told anyone???
                        Last edited by Bob Jones; 04 Jun 07,, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                          As a final twist, back to Robert Cain, it turned out that Clarkson was married to his daughter, and it was only when doing the research for the programme she found out her Dad was a VC winner, he had never told anyone???
                          Real heroes tend to be modest by nature.
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            Real heroes tend to be modest by nature.
                            Ah well ! that's us lot out

Comment

From what Clarkson told of this man heroics he could have won the VC several times over during the one action, any man who stands up to a Tiger tank with a PIAT, gets my vote, and he did it three times, and only missed knocking out the third one because as he stepped out of cover to fire the weapon, he did`nt clear the wall in front of him, and the round hit it and blew him of his feet, once recovered he was soon back in action, and as he had no more ammo for the PIAT he found a 2in mortar which, due the enemy being so close, he was firing from the hip?, outstanding

Comment

This is an absolute disgrace,The people responsible should hang there head in shame.The countrys borders seem to be wide open for anybody willing to work for our economy,The more the better,But let an old soldier in who will just soak up resources,No way.I bet thats exactly how the thought process went,Hes no use now so he can get stuffed.Can politicians do anything that we pay them to do,Correctly?

Comment

Working...
                                X