No announcement yet.

T-55 tank upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

up until 90s some countrys still used t34, if t34 was enough for their purposes, i don,t see why t55 wouldn,t. no question t55 is no mach for abrams or leo, but smart commander wouldn,t put t55 were adrams or leos, play, as iraq proved ied as primitive as they are can disable even abrams.
    i,d love to put old t55 or 34 in my back yard, it would be hell of a toy for my kid(when i have one), sure beats the hell out of a tree house.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
      i,d love to put old t55 or 34 in my back yard, it would be hell of a toy for my kid(when i have one), sure beats the hell out of a tree house.
      That'll make your kid popular in the neighbourhood, it would also prove to be a popular makeout place for the neighbourhood teens

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

There was an alleged Abrams knock out by a bypassed T-55. US Army's official statement is that it was a 25mm cannon shot by a Bradley.

I can see how T-55 could be used in mop up operations, or by countries that had no access to better tanks. But against modern MBTs it is sorely inadequate; one simply cannot upgrade the protection package, the gun and FCS to modern standard. They would run out of space and the maximum weight the chasis and engine can bear. Against modern tandem warhead ATGMs and high velocity guns it would be knocked out easily.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

up until 90s some countrys still used t34, if t34 was enough for their purposes, i don,t see why t55 wouldn,t. no question t55 is no mach for abrams or leo, but smart commander wouldn,t put t55 were adrams or leos, play, as iraq proved ied as primitive as they are can disable even abrams.
          I tell you what, when I was doing thesis research on the Golan Heights and I just found some abandoned knocked out tanks, you best believe I climbed all in and around just like a kid, and I'm old enough to have my own damn kid.
          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
            There was an alleged Abrams knock out by a bypassed T-55. US Army's official statement is that it was a 25mm cannon shot by a Bradley.

I can see how T-55 could be used in mop up operations, or by countries that had no access to better tanks. But against modern MBTs it is sorely inadequate; one simply cannot upgrade the protection package, the gun and FCS to modern standard. They would run out of space and the maximum weight the chasis and engine can bear. Against modern tandem warhead ATGMs and high velocity guns it would be knocked out easily.
            Not quite true... The North Koreans and Russians both have retrofitted the T-55 to accpet the 24A6 125mm gun. Probalby the best eample of the ultimate T-55 upgrade/newbuild is the Al Khalid/MBT 2000/ Type 90II or for a pure rebuild the Al-Zarrar

Comment

Interesting! Still, while those beasts can be put into a fight, I don't think they would be anyone's first pick against modern MBTs.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

First pick no, not even close but they are competative if used right.

Comment

Like so?

YouTube - T55 Tank delivery
                  Last edited by Jordan88; 01 Jun 07,, 01:05.

Comment

I have sat inside the T-55 and taken quite a few rides...

It was there in my dads unit..:)
                    "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                    And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                    For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

Originally posted by Draconion View Post
                      I have sat inside the T-55 and taken quite a few rides...

It was there in my dads unit..:)
                      Lucky... my dad was tube arty, and that was before I was even born. Never did get to see the ol' pops in uniform.
                      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

hi guys! :)

well, let me tell you some facts about my country, the Philippines, since i specifically cited it as an example:

* the Philippines is an archipelago comprised of 7,107 islands that are scattered between Taiwan and Indonesia. the islands are have mostly mountainous terrain, although there are some vast plains and valleys that can be considered as "tank countries".

* the Philippine military does not have a heavy armor division. what you might consider as "tanks" in our Army are 40+ early built Scorpion light tanks while the rest are comprised of M113 and AIFV tracked armored vehicles and V-150, V-300 and Simba wheeled armored vehicles. the heaviest armored vehicle in service within the Armed Forces of the Philippines are 37 to 40 ton Vietnam War-era LVT-5 amphibious tracked vehicles.

it is also important to take note that the Philippine military is cash-strapped, corruption-ridden and oriented mainly to fight Communist insurgents and Islamic separatists.

* one more important factor to consider about the suitability of MBTs in Philippine military service is the fact that most of our country's roads and bridges cannot sustain very heavy vehicles such as very heavy MBTs. a vast majority of roads and bridges in the Philippines can only sustain vehicles weighing between three and 20 tons, thus it would be already difficult to let much heavier vehicles to pass on them.

there were also instances when even the light armored vehicles of the Philippine military could not even pass the said roads and bridges, thus prompting the soldiers to just ride on pick-up trucks or, sadly, walk to their destination (which is exactly the reason why Philippine Air Force UH-1H Huey helicopters are so damn overused).

so, why the upgraded T-55 for the Philippine Army?

* the T-55, although not as modern as the Abrams and the Leo 2, will be the first real MBT in Philippine military service. it could serve as an excellent training platform for Filipino soldiers before they make the transition to more modern MBTs.

* the T-55, along with the Leopard 1 (41.5 tons) and the AMX-30 (36 tons), weigh between 36 to 41 tons, is just as heavy as the Philippine Marine Corps LVT-5 amphibious vehicle, making it suited to, well, pass on some of the country's roads and bridges, although it could only be limited into defending Manila and its environs since those roads and bridges that cannot sustain heavy vehicles are located in far-flung provinces.

* compared to thethe T-72 and the heavy monster M60A3, the T-55 is relatively cheaper and can be readily bought from many countries, mainly ex-Soviet states and India.

Comment

Honestly, I don't know why you guys even need tanks, considering your enemies.

Comment

Something about rolling a tank into a village that may be harbouring or sympathizing rebals tends to make them think its a bad idea. While tactically rolling a tank into a village might not be the worlds greatest move, they are fairly impressive and also function fairly well against many types of semi hardened and armed utility vechiles.

Comment

There are smaller , quite capable (for your scenario) tanks - Stingray light tank . Stingray light tank . , http://www.army-technology.com/contr...on/image-4.jpg . AFAIK it uses some of the compontents from M113/AIFV family , so it could help a little . Thailand uses them too . But of course new-built veh. is going to be much more expensive than old T-55 , but OTOH 20t. tank is much less burden for road network than T-55 .
                              But second-hand T-72s are quite easy to get by too , Finland , Hungary etc. are getting rid of their 72-s , weight class is about the same (~~43-45t.)
                              Last edited by BD1; 05 Jun 07,, 22:27.
                              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                                Something about rolling a tank into a village that may be harbouring or sympathizing rebals tends to make them think its a bad idea. While tactically rolling a tank into a village might not be the worlds greatest move, they are fairly impressive and also function fairly well against many types of semi hardened and armed utility vechiles.
                                Same type of thinking had some really impressive tank columns roll into Chechen villages and Grozny. Let's just say that the burning husks of these tanks that were left over after the confrontation were... less impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X