X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omon View Post
    thanks.
    does it ever expire?
    Not in your lifetime. Authors hold the copyright until their death, and after their estate/heirs I think can hold it for 70 years, at least in the US. Some copyrights from the 19th century have expired and are in the public domain:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

Trying to write a book?

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
      Not in your lifetime. Authors hold the copyright until their death, and after their estate/heirs I think can hold it for 70 years, at least in the US. Some copyrights from the 19th century have expired and are in the public domain:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

Trying to write a book?
      no, was gonna pdf mine and post it, but noticed c 2000.
      oh well. too bad, was a good book
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

thanks.
        does it ever expire?
        http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa....html#duration

How long does a copyright last?

The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteForge View Post
          http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa....html#duration

How long does a copyright last?

The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.
          thanks.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

thanks.
            You're welcome.

Comment

I just finished A FOOT SOLDIER FOR PATTON: The Story of a "Red Diamond" Infantryman with the U.S. Third Army and liked it. A nice memoir that could have used a little more editing but overall a fine addition to the shelf for a microscopic view of parts of the war.

Bilder was stationed in Iceland for a while so I learned some things about that - none of the other books I've had do more than mention it in passing. Not too strong on detail but a very honest and "warts and all" read.

-dale

Comment

Berlin: The Downfall 1945

from Antony Beevor

Comment

Last week read Day of the Panzer by Danby.

A different kind of WWII book than most I have. It's not a draft-to-discharge memoir and not an exhaustive research piece on a particular tactic, theater, technology, or big battle. Instead it is a capsule that follows a particular U.S. rifle company and the tank company supporting them up to and through a battle over a village in the South of France. You get enough info about the main guys and supporting items and events to care and understand, but not so much that you need a reference shelf behind you to follow along.

I enjoyed it.

-dale

Comment

Dear Alsion by Simon Pollard.

Comment

'Tigers in the mud' - Double Knights cross winner, Panzer Ace, Otto Carius.

Excellent memoir of the Russian front, and the last fighting in the Western front.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                        Last week read Day of the Panzer by Danby.

A different kind of WWII book than most I have. It's not a draft-to-discharge memoir and not an exhaustive research piece on a particular tactic, theater, technology, or big battle. Instead it is a capsule that follows a particular U.S. rifle company and the tank company supporting them up to and through a battle over a village in the South of France. You get enough info about the main guys and supporting items and events to care and understand, but not so much that you need a reference shelf behind you to follow along.

I enjoyed it.

-dale

I ordered it, used, through the WAB bookstore of course.:))
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                          I ordered it, used, through the WAB bookstore of course.:))
                          Cool! Ping me when you finish it and let me know what you think. Word of caution - I think this is the author's first book and the writing style, especially in the beginning, threw me off a little. It is VERY choppy, and by choppy I mean that almost every statement is a sentence in the first few chapters. LOTS of periods, relatively few commas, semicolons, or "and"s. It evens out after a bit but it was very noticeable to me in the beginning.

Happy reading!

-dale

Comment

'The first and the last' by Adolf Galland.

Top Luftwaffe officer & Ace, who survived WW2.

Fascinating incite of the German air force, his own dog-fights, the German hierarchy......
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DragoonGuard View Post
                              'Tigers in the mud' - Double Knights cross winner, Panzer Ace, Otto Carius.
                              Excellent memoir of the Russian front, and the last fighting in the Western front.
                              Excellent book. Carius puts you right there in the mud.

Originally posted by DragoonGuard View Post
                              'The first and the last' by Adolf Galland.
                              Top Luftwaffe officer & Ace, who survived WW2.
                              Fascinating incite of the German air force, his own dog-fights, the German hierarchy......
                              A friend of mine was lucky enough to get an autographed copy (and a brief conversation) from Galland himself. Some people have all the luck.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Excellent book. Carius puts you right there in the mud.

A friend of mine was lucky enough to get an autographed copy (and a brief conversation) from Galland himself. Some people have all the luck.

Wow, - Don't they just..........
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X