Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dieppe Raid: The Story of the Disastrous 1942 Expedition, by Robin Neillands
    Usus magister est optimus

Comment

An account, by Staurt Hamilton MC, who sadly passed away to the Green fields recently, of his time with the,
      8th Royal Tank Regiment,
      in the Westen Desert 1941-1942,
      Palestine, Syria, Egypt, 1943-1944,
      and Italy 1944-1945
      Its called Armoured Odyssey

The way he describes the constant threat of daily death in a matter of fact way just makes you keep turning the page,

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        for a broad overview of the war, a great, great book is:

Amazon.com: A War To Be Won: Fighting the Second World War: Books: Williamson Murray,Allan R. Millett

it includes a lot of new information gleaned from the opening of the imperial japanese and russian archives.
        I have put this one on my Father's Day list,thanks Astralis
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Bedford Boys and i love the enemy at the gates movie never read the book

Comment

If You Survive – George Wilson

Serenade to the Big Bird – Bert Stiles

Goodbye, Darkness – William Manchester

Midway – Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya What sets this apart from the other accounts of Midway (besides being co-authored by the leader of the Pearl Harbor raid) is that it was written in the early 1950’s before the success of the US comint program against the Japanese became public knowledge. It makes for an interesting perspective on the battle.
            The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
            Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
            - The Eagles

Comment

The Forgotten Soldier- the best memoir I've ever read. Some question its authenticity, but several Grossdeutschland officers have been contacted and all agree that the book is authentic, with a few minor technical errors. That being said, a truly harrowing experience to read about. I first read it in 7th grade, and it changed my outlook on war.

Others-

Ghost Soldiers, Blood Red Snow, Sniper on the Eastern Front, The Blonde Knight of Germany (excellent book), Band of Brothers
              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

For the Atlantic Theatre:
                Hitler's U Boat War Vol. 1 & 2 by Clay Blair

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  for a broad overview of the war, a great, great book is:

Amazon.com: A War To Be Won: Fighting the Second World War: Books: Williamson Murray,Allan R. Millett

it includes a lot of new information gleaned from the opening of the imperial japanese and russian archives.
                  astralis,thank you for recommending this book.My kids got it for me on Father's Day and I just started it yesterday,so far it is very,very good.:)
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'll throw in one from Australia that anyone interested in WW2 should read:

'A Bastard of a Place: The Australians in Papua' by Peter Brune

This covers battles on the Kokoda Track & beyond that were not just vital to Australia, but to the whole course of the war in the Pacific. Though the book focusses largely on the Australians, several of the battles were fought alongside American forces & all were fought with MacArthure as Supreme Commander. Happens to be exceptionally well written too.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Read a book some years ago now, can`t recall the author, it was called CHICKENHAWK, an account of a Huey pilot from basic training through his tour of Vietnam, it was very good,

The Forgotten Soldier, now theres a blast form the dark ages,

And a very interesting account, by two mercs, who served in Biafra, called FIREPOWER

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                        An account, by Staurt Hamilton MC, who sadly passed away to the Green fields recently, of his time with the,
                        8th Royal Tank Regiment,
                        in the Westen Desert 1941-1942,
                        Palestine, Syria, Egypt, 1943-1944,
                        and Italy 1944-1945
                        Its called Armoured Odyssey

The way he describes the constant threat of daily death in a matter of fact way just makes you keep turning the page,
                        Bob dont forget Sven Hassle ? ok ok ok incommmmmmmmmmmming

Comment

Excellent good old Sven, liked reading Douglas Reeman to, with his stiff upper lip British Naval types

Comment

shameless,

astralis,thank you for recommending this book.My kids got it for me on Father's Day and I just started it yesterday,so far it is very,very good.
                            glad to see you like it! your kids apparently have got good taste in selecting books for father's day

it certainly puts a new perspective to the war. do tell me what you think when you've finished.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                              Read a book some years ago now, can`t recall the author, it was called CHICKENHAWK, an account of a Huey pilot from basic training through his tour of Vietnam, it was very good,
                              Agreed. I think the Author had the surname Mason. Can't recall his forename(s). I could taste fear when reading that book, it was so obviously genuine. It said more about the Vietnamese war than many a history book.
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

The Gurkhas, by John Parker

Origins of the Second World War, by AJP Taylor

IBM and the Holocaust, by Edwin Black (it will blow your mind how involved they were with the Nazis and the Holocaust)

The Secret File of the Duke of Windsor, by Michael Bloch (yes he was a traitor that should have been executed instead of coddled, but the Royals look after their own)

A Man called Intrepid, by William Stevenson

Ghost Soldiers, by Hampton Sides

Failure in High Command, by John A English

Six Armies in Normandy, by John Keegan

Decision in Normandy, by Carlo D'Este

The Second World War, by John Keegan

One Square Mile of Hell: the Battle for Tarawa, by John Wukovits

War in the Channel Islands: Then and Now, by Winston G. Ramsey

Wine and war : the French, the Nazis, and the battle for France's greatest treasure, by Don and Petie Kladstrup

Monte Cassino, by Matthew Parker

Other Losses, by James Bacque (controversial book about the treatment of German POW's)
                                Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Comment

Working...
                                X