Raid on reactor video, With newly declassified information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid on reactor video, With newly declassified information

This amazing video includes interviews with the pilot's themselves which was not allowed as well as interviews with Reagan's Secretary of State at the time and National Security Advisor as well as cockpit footage and communication. The video details how Israel trained and carried out the operation in 1982 from start to finish.

Raid on the Reactor - Google Video

very very cool
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

Hardball with a vengence!
      Entebbe...Baghdad to name but two, these people have a habit of doing the seemingly impossible when threatend.
      Seen in the context of Iran's threats against the nation of Israel, it does give food for thought at what they are planning.
      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
        Seen in the context of Iran's threats against the nation of Israel, it does give food for thought at what they are planning.
        As of right now, improving the hell out of their logistical supply methods if they still have any sense, plus acquiring some strap-on balls for the military leaders so they can tell politicians in future that "that's a ****ing stupid idea".
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Well Israel I am sure as well as you probably are has planned a number of pre-emptive strikes on Iran's reactors.

Personally I would think that it would have to involve the largest Airborne operation since Market Garden.

Israeli Cargo planes would take to the air carrying thousands of paratroopers and various special ops forces including light vehicles, portable jamming equipment, portable Surface to Air missile launcher, and much more equipment.

As there are many sites to target the forces would probably go after the four biggest nuclear sites. Sending in a large commando force to blow it up from the inside is the only way to guarantee its done right. A small detachment would be sent across Iraq into Iran initailly to slip in at night and disrupt their air defense by either jamming it or destroying it.

An operation like this takes massive planning and then re-planning and you keep changing it until 5 minutes before go time.

How do the Special forces get out you ask? Well they can drive East to Afghanistan or West to Iraq, Either way American controlled territory is within reach and Israeli forces could get to these borders a hell of alot quicker then the Iranians could mobilize their forces to stop them.

Air Route? I am sure Saudi Arabia would secretly give Israel flyover rights and then after the attack act with outrage at such violation of their airspace as part of the plan, all pre-planned with Israel.

The US if it involves itself would either have to give Israel flyover rights over Iraq or ignore the airspace violation. Even if the US said no, Israel could say "well our planes are already in the air so you'll have to shoot down 35 C130's" which the AMericans of course won't do.

Now if the US does give Israel flyover rights then Israel has a massively expanded field of operation as it can refuel its entire airforce over Iraq and actually provide total cover for its forces as well as take out Iran's entire air defense umbrella.

If this mission is planned with the US which is also of course possible and the likely scenario then the US can provide additional air cover and also use massive jamming of Iranian radar systems from its two carrier Task force groups currently operating in the Persian Gulf.

Is it a risky move? Wow do you bet, but like in Iraq the alternative in Israel's eye is the same as it is much worse.

A plan like this would incorporate initial stages of sabotage. For a couple of weeks or even a month prior you would have mysterious blackouts that would plague Iran's electrical grid. It wouldn't be hard for the Mossad to buy men working at power plants who simply have to push the wrong button accidentally. This would leave Iran open for an Airborn operation.
          Last edited by Druze; 27 Apr 07,, 03:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Druze View Post
            The video details how Israel trained and carried out the operation in 1982 from start to finish.
            The Israeli raid on Osiraq took place on June 7, 1981.

Comment

i read a book written abt the raid. Raid On The Sun. i think its very detailed in describing the raid and the events leading up to it. it also mentioned th various technical difficulties faced by the israelis when planning for the raid.

Comment

It is important to note that this raid did not fullfil its goal - STOP OR DELAY iraqi nuclear weapon program. It was discovered only later that in 1991 Saddam was just few years away from having a bomb...

Comment

I always thought that the Israeli F-16s had F-15s for top cover on the Osirak raid. Is there any truth to that?

Comment

Impressive for a young nation like Israel at this time.
                    I have no idea what I'm doing. Honestly!

Comment

RE: Raid on reactor video, With newly declassified information

Originally posted by Bowman View Post
                      I always thought that the Israeli F-16s had F-15s for top cover on the Osirak raid. Is there any truth to that?
                      Yes, there was six F-15's acting as top cover. This was the segment of the raiding party that was detect on Saudi radar.
                      How they acted or the tactics they used as the F-16's lined for the bomb run, is something I have never read any information about.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                      X