Thoughts on the Uzi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Uzi?

Just curious about such and what others think of it, be it IDF, civilian, secret service, or what.
    --------------------------------------------
    ("Uzi, 9mm"--Terminator, (wtte), "The Terminator")

Uzi SMG

I have gone on at length in other threads about the Uzi. It was my duty weapon in the SADF. I shot expert with the Uzi on qualification, something I can't say about any other weapon. Later on I almost always managed to scrounge up an Uzi to replace whatever weapon I was issued with, once I even paid my own money for one. I was NOT happy about having give it up for an AK!

It is accurate and easy to shoot especially during combat. Forget what you see in the movies, I never fired mine without the stock extended. Having the magazine in the grip is a lifesaver in a desperate situation.

The Uzi is utterly reliable in any terrain, mud, desert, jungle and handles all kinds of ammunition without complaint. I've mixed, matched and even reloaded with captured ammunition in the field.

It is a really tough weapon. I used mine as a shovel, club and once as spear, something you can't do with an M-16. I turned one in with a bent barrel that would still cycle ammunition.

I will say the Uzi is not comfortable to carry all day, it's got lots of sharp pointy things on it. In final analysis an excellent weapon you can bet your life on but I might be a "little" biased.
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I am not at comfortable at such short range.

Comment

Way to close

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        The range issue didn't (for me) come up too often. I mean it did just not that often.

I was polled once about the percentage of targets that I thought could be engaged on the battlefield with an SMG (Uzi). My response was 80%. Most said 70 to 75%.

I am however not at all comfortable about having to use my sidearm. I always knew that if I had to pull my pistol then the enemy was way too close and I was in really big trouble.
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Sappersgt,

which do you recommend in stocks? A fixed wooden or a collaspable (folding)?
          ------------------------------------------------
          ("Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range."--Terminator
          "Hey, just what you see up there, fella!"--gun dealer, (ie, we don't have them in stock), (w,stte), "The Terminator")

Comment

Sapper,

Ever used Uzi in .45ACP? I've never shot one at all but saw some FRELIMO with them (not in .45)

Mike

Comment

Stocks/ War story

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
              Sappersgt,

which do you recommend in stocks? A fixed wooden or a collaspable (folding)?
              ("Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range."--Terminator
              "Hey, just what you see up there, fella!"--gun dealer, (ie, we don't have them in stock), (w,stte), "The Terminator")
              I like the collapsible but I've fired a wooden stocked Uzi only once at the range. It did seem a bit more stable but heavier and too bulky. I don't think I'd like to carry one around all day.

Ever used Uzi in .45ACP? I've never shot one at all but saw some FRELIMO with them (not in .45).
              Never had the chance. I have fired the Mac in .45 (and the Thompson). I was told a story once by an old (US) SF type about SMGs rebored to take .45 ammunition but then it WAS just a story.;)

Comment

I have only fired the Uzi once (cycled 150 rounds) but here is my 2 cents: perticular one I was shooting was semi-automatic, had an extended barrel, had the collapsable stock and was chambered for 9mm. I was pretty accurate with it even though the only gun (at the time) I had fired before it was a .22LR rifle. I spent a total of 150 rounds and found it to have very little recoil, so little in fact when firing multiple shots in rapid succession I kept the barrel in very close vicinity of the first shot. My target shows how trigger happy I got with it at times but pretty much all my shots are on the target and most in the middle-area. I wasn't really going for accuracy, I was just having fun at the range but when I was trying I got perfect headshots. I expected the stock to be flimsy because of the fact that it was collapsable, but quite to my surprise it was quite sturdy, so sturdy in fact that I forgot it was not solid steel. The only problems I had with it were that when ****ing it you have to pull it all the way back and let go instantly and not allow it to retract back while still in your hand. If it does not snap back from the back it will jam. My other problem was...
                Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                it's got lots of sharp pointy things on it.
                The safety has pointy corners that dig into your hand behind your thumb knuckle. I had a little red mark there for the next day from that, but it wasnt so bothersome that I paid more than a moment's attention to it. Lesson of my story: a good weapon.

Comment

I'm more for the collaspable stock; what's the point of having something big when it can be small?

But for all their apparent popularity, they don't seem too popular in these parts. I was at a gun show on Saturday and all I really saw of the Uzi were three magazines for sail (also saw one Mac-10). One would think at a gunshow but frankly, when I asked, most of the merchants were caught by surprise.
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  ("Wait a minute! They can't shrink me."--Grant
                  "Our miniaturizer can shrink anything."--General Carter, (wtte), "Fantastic Voyage")

Comment

Stocks/What sells/Range

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
                    I'm more for the collaspable stock; what's the point of having something big when it can be small?

But for all their apparent popularity, they don't seem too popular in these parts. I was at a gun show on Saturday and all I really saw of the Uzi were three magazines for sail (also saw one Mac-10). One would think at a gunshow but frankly, when I asked, most of the merchants were caught by surprise.
                    -----------------------------------------------------
                    ("Wait a minute! They can't shrink me."--Grant
                    "Our miniaturizer can shrink anything."--General Carter, (wtte), "Fantastic Voyage")
                    With the stock folded the Uzi makes a nice compact package. This is really convenient when you have carry it on or in a vehicle. The stock extends easily and quickly if you need to use the weapon in a hurry, quicker than having to maneuver a fully stocked assault rifle from the confines of a truck or other vehicle.

The Mac-10 and MP-5 are perceived as more sexy and sell better although I wasn't impressed with firing the Mac-10. The MP-5 seems to be popular and truly is a good weapon. I've noticed you don't see so many Uzis on TV anymore which may account for the decrease in their lack of demand.

by OoE
                    Sir,
                    I think I misconstrued your meaning. My previous reply was about dealing with the shortcomings of the Uzi in regards to range. I didn't mean to sound flippant. I for one have never been "comfortable" with being shot at from any range much less 150 meters. I don't know anybody who is.

Comment

The MP5 on FA is SWEET. :)
                      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                        With the stock folded the Uzi makes a nice compact package. This is really convenient when you have carry it on or in a vehicle. The stock extends easily and quickly if you need to use the weapon in a hurry, quicker than having to maneuver a fully stocked assault rifle from the confines of a truck or other vehicle.

The Mac-10 and MP-5 are perceived as more sexy and sell better although I wasn't impressed with firing the Mac-10. The MP-5 seems to be popular and truly is a good weapon. I've noticed you don't see so many Uzis on TV anymore which may account for the decrease in their lack of demand.
                        Well mine (in case you haven't guessed) has the 16 inch barrel; just can't get as sexy as the military model and came with a wooden stock which I'd like to replace with a folding one as soon as I can/afford/find. Shotgun news has provided me with a few sources.

But my arms merchant is going out of business, I saw that on his sale, and just fell in love, snapped it up. It's new but it has been in his inventory for a while from I gather; I got to work a little to find parts like the stock and a sight adjustment.

Don't know what it is; maybe I'm just watching different movies. Seeing Rutger Hauer in NightHawks with a Mac-10 isn't as sexy/entrancing to me as watching Daphne, IDF sniper, with her Uzi in Prisoner in the Middle. And while I think they used MP-5's on LFN, the connection just isn't there.
                        ("I need to get out, Lonnie, I lost it when Cheemo served me up on the plater with watermelon in my face and an Uzi shoved up my a**!"--Charlie Mayeaux, (wtte), "Gun Shy")

Comment

Working...
                        X