Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shows That Need To Be Cancelled

Lost
    "Let’s be honest: The only reason to watch “Lost” any more is to see how it ends, so let’s just end it now and then we can all relax. The show’s producers recently said they were talking to ABC about planning a firm end date for the show, which would help the show’s writers avoid having to create newer and more banal, pseudo-intellectual mysteries. Most importantly, the network needs to stop wasting the talents of its amazing, capable cast. This season, characters were ignored for weeks on end with no real payoff. It’s time for “Lost’s” castaways to find their way home, or not, just as long as they do something."

"Coming off its best season ever, “24” has had its worst season ever. The show has recycled plot lines, and has most recently shifted 180 degrees, dropping one plot and picking up another, which is almost as implausible as all that’s come before it. Worse, Jack Bauer has been more absent than usual this year — and there’s not much left to do to him. Unless the writers can give the series a major reboot, focusing on something other than an impending terrorist attack in Los Angeles, it’s time to pull the batteries out of “24’s” clock."

The Simpsons
    "Saying it’s time for Fox to cancel “The Simpsons” is nothing new; some fans of the show have been suggesting that since the show turned 10 in the late 1990s. Even the show’s cast members, the actors who provide the characters’ voices, have criticized its quality. But the real mark that it’s time for the show to go is that other series have taken its place. Fox’s “Family Guy,” which borrows heavily from “The Simpsons,” speaks more clearly to its audience with witty references and offers zanier, more engaging plots; “South Park” offers instant social satire and commentary. The two shows have followed “The Simpsons’” lead and improved on it. With a full-length feature coming to theaters this summer, now is the perfect time to cancel the aging original."

ER
    "Along with ABC’s “The Bachelor,” “ER” is one of those shows that prompts people to ask, “That show’s still on the air?” Now in its 13th season, the show lost its last original cast member when Dr. Weaver, played by Laura Innes, left earlier this season. It is literally not the same show it was when it began, launching the careers of George Clooney and others. Now, “Grey’s Anatomy” has one-upped the show in terms of soap-opera drama, while “CSI” and other procedural shows have done a better job with grossing us out and teaching us in the process. “ER” is just DOA."

CSI: New York
    "One of the three “CSIs” needs to go. CBS greedily cloned its groundbreaking procedural drama not once (Miami) but twice (New York), and diluted its franchise in the process. The Miami version has the still-insufferable David Caruso, while the New York version doesn’t have much to hold on to. And the Las Vegas version has slowly drifted from its original focus on crime solving alone in exchange for an increasing focus on characters’ personal lives. Of these, the New York version seems to be the one that most deserves to be axed, since it has the lowest ratings of the three and the most disposable characters."
    5Top: TV shows that should be canceled - 5Top - MSNBC.com
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

I do not agree with The Simpsons - I still like that show as does mini-me.

I do think American Idol has run its course and could easily be cancelled. I also cannot see how the daytime soaps (General Hospital, All My Children and the like) are still up and running.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

It's a guy thing

Originally posted by THL View Post
      I also cannot see how the daytime soaps (General Hospital, All My Children and the like) are still up and running.
      I have never "gotten" soaps. I can't deny their popularity however. I just consider them a force of nature and humbly pay the renewal when the Soap Opera Digest subscription comes due. It keeps the women folk happy.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I have never been able to get into watching the daytime soaps. Boring. But I have gotten hooked on night time sitcoms. In some cases, is there really a difference other than the time of day the show is aired?
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with the list, except for Simpsons. The shows that are not to be canceled IMO are House MD, CSI Las Vegas, Rome and Heroes.
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Maybe they should just cancel TV altogether for a month, to measure the beneficial impact on humanity. :)

I've scarcely watched TV in the past four years. Probably about a total of an hour per year.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Maybe they should just cancel TV altogether for a month, to measure the beneficial impact on humanity. :)

I've scarcely watched TV in the past four years. Probably about a total of an hour per year.
              Dead on. Between that and completely revamping the US education system, you could substantially slow the progressive dumbing of America.
              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I agree 100% with the Simpsons. That show crapped out a long, long time ago.

They also need to axe Dancing With The Stars and probably American Idol.
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I watch 3 hours of television a week. Time is better spent reading a book or being on the WAB.
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

The only safe answer is to ban American television for at least a year. It is the most mind-numbingly banal experience I have ever had to endure. The producers will have a clean sheet of paper each, and be told to come up with ideas for future programs which will be offered to real people to see whether or not approval is given. Advertising time to be carefully controlled and kept to 4 minutes per hour maximum.
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

TV is poop.

-dale

Comment

AHEM! KERRY Weaver was not one of the original cast! The last original of the cast, aside from the nurses, to go was Noah Wyle "John Carter".

Further, given what they are putting on tv these days, ER tends to be one of the last watchable items. Granted, it probably isn't the way it was before ...... but it's still a lot better than what is there now.

Consider, for a moment, what my tv watching schedule use to be, in broadcast land:

Sun: Charmed
                        Mon: Buffy
                        Tue: NOVA/Judging Amy
                        Wed: Angel
                        Thurs: ER
                        Fri: Las Vegas
                        Sat: zilch

and now:

Sun: Zilch
                        Mon: Zilch
                        Tue: NOVA
                        Wed: Zilch
                        Thurs: ER
                        Fri: Zilch (moving Las Vegas to Monday rather killed it for me)
                        Sat: Zilch

TV's going down the tube!
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        ("Walter of Monroe!"--Egyptian High Priest
                        "Yeah, that's me, who are you, where's Cleopatra?"--Time Traveler Walter Brooks of Monroe County
                        "The QUEEN has gone to Rome to be with Mark Anthony. Before she left, she gave instructions about you. You are charged with treason, false prophecy, and BEING FROM THE FUTURE! The penalty in all cases is death by the crocidiles!", (w,stte), "Irresistable")

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
                          I do think American Idol has run its course and could easily be cancelled.
                          Only in my fondest dreams...

Actually it would be such a sweet dream for most - if not all - of "reality" TV to wander off and die.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            Only in my fondest dreams...

Actually it would be such a sweet dream for most - if not all - of "reality" TV to wander off and die.
                            I can only agree if Sunday nights Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is left on the air...I like that show.

The only others I watch are Grey's Anatomy and a new show that now follows it called October Road.

Well, unless we include Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends...that is a pretty good cartoon. :)

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                              TV is poop.

-dale
                              Yep. 99.9% of it, anyway. The only shows I watch are South Park (and that's only for a few weeks during the spring and fall each year when they have new shows) and very rarely some of the crime shows. I love Cops and the various SWAT shows though.

However, all the reality shows can burn in hell for all eternity.
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                              X