Massacre at Virginia Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massacre at Virginia Campus

BLACKSBURG, Va. - At least 22 people were killed Monday in a shooting rampage on the Virginia Tech campus, police said. They said the gunman was among the dead.

In addition to those killed, officials said at least 28 people were wounded.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said the gunman was dead, but that he didn't know how he died.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. local time at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

At least one student was killed in the dorm and others were killed in the classroom, Flinchum said.

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the fourth floor of the dorm, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown; the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

This breaking story will be updated.

What a damned shame. This has got to be one of the worst school shootings in history.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

This is a horrendous massacre.

Comment

I was watching this on TV.

Horrifying!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

sign of the times?

One is tempted to say it is a sign of the times. But a similar massacre took place in 1966 at a Texas Univ. The shooter in that case was suffering from a cerebral growth of some kind that accounted for his erratic behavior. But altogether there have been so many mass killing in the US in recent years that one wonders whether there is some peculiar aberration in our society at work. Some say that more gun control is needed to stop the killings, and they may be right to a certain extent, especially in the case of assault weapons. But I doubt the urge to lash out by these killers will be stopped by making guns harder to obtain. They will find oither means, such as explosives like in the Oklahoma bombing. Perhaps these killers are seeking celebrity by any means. No doubt the media will comply and Hollywood will follow with a movie sympathizing with the killer, such as they did for Whitman, the Texas killer. My sympathy goes out to the families of the victims.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

It's up to 32 now.

Oh my God.

Comment

We have all the TVs on at school. The students are in disbelief, especially the seniors that will be going to college soon. And then to find out he was looking for his girlfriend and two hours later went on this rampage.
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

My first reaction when I heard about this was "not again!" - Apparently it was an Asian???

Comment

[QUOTE=JAD_333;365824]Some say that more gun control is needed to stop the killings, and they may be right to a certain extent, especially in the case of assault weapons. But I doubt the urge to lash out by these killers will be stopped by making guns harder to obtain. They will find oither means, such as explosives like in the Oklahoma bombing. QUOTE]

I believe that some of the over 200,00 gun control laws on the books are allowing these thing to happen. The supposed "gun free school zones" make these places soft targets for these maniacs. Obviously I dont believe school children should be allowed to carry guns, but college students and teachers in schools are old enough to legally poccess the concealed carry permits in their states. If one of these victims had been armed then this would have been nipped at the butt. "Assault weapons" have been used in none of these massacres. And contrary to what many would like you to believe, they are used in only a very tiny percentage of all crimes. Far more people are killed on motorcycles each year. Perhaps we should ban those since they are such a public menace. Take any class of firearms from the law abiding citizens and then the only ones that will poccess them are the criminals that you banned them for in the first place. Laws don't deter criminals.
                Molon Labe

Comment

<<"Assault weapons" have been used in none of these massacres. And contrary to what many would like you to believe, they are used in only a very tiny percentage of all crimes. Far more people are killed on motorcycles each year. Perhaps we should ban those since they are such a public menace. Take any class of firearms from the law abiding citizens and then the only ones that will poccess them are the criminals that you banned them for in the first place. Laws don't deter criminals.>>

I don't disagree with you in the least, except it seems to me the notion that banning motorcycles would somehow be tantamount to banning firearms because they cause more deaths belongs in the realm of accident, not deliberate intent. Afterall, one doesn't see killers packing motorcycles on their hips. But your point that criminals are not deterred by laws is well taken. By the way, in Virginia, citizens can carry concealed weapons, but rarely do. If a student were found with a gun in his dorm room, he'd be expelled.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

This is tragic news :(

Absolutely tragic!

Peoples can roam in US with GUNs? How do they entered the university premise with a gun? considering its a big university not some community college.

Comment

This is truly horrible, my support goes out to the families of those killed or wounded. It was also a shock to hear something like this coming from quite nice Virginia. O_O

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                        <<"Assault weapons" have been used in none of these massacres. And contrary to what many would like you to believe, they are used in only a very tiny percentage of all crimes. Far more people are killed on motorcycles each year. Perhaps we should ban those since they are such a public menace. Take any class of firearms from the law abiding citizens and then the only ones that will poccess them are the criminals that you banned them for in the first place. Laws don't deter criminals.>>

I don't disagree with you in the least, except it seems to me the notion that banning motorcycles would somehow be tantamount to banning firearms because they cause more deaths belongs in the realm of accident, not deliberate intent. Afterall, one doesn't see killers packing motorcycles on their hips. But your point that criminals are not deterred by laws is well taken. By the way, in Virginia, citizens can carry concealed weapons, but rarely do. If a student were found with a gun in his dorm room, he'd be expelled.
                        Thats my point. Because of the gun free zones on campuses, law abiding citizens (whether its a student or a teacher) who can otherwise legally carry weapons are left defenseless. There is nothing securing these supposed zones except honest peoples integrity. What if someone at VT had a weapon, or a teacher at Columbine. Take the shooting at the CNN Center for example. There was a citizen with a concealed carry permit you helped stop that before it got any worse.
                        Molon Labe

Comment

Latest unconfirmed news about this is that the guy was Asian, was upset as hell about something having to do with his girlfriend and he had 2 nine-millimeter handguns only(which i find hard to believe..considering the damage he did).

Comment

I suspect this is different. Still we should give it time to sort out some and we will see if this is just another school shooting or something else. Good luck to those who are in a hands on position.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                              Latest unconfirmed news about this is that the guy was Asian, was upset as hell about something having to do with his girlfriend and he had 2 nine-millimeter handguns only(which i find hard to believe..considering the damage he did).
                              heard he had shot himself..no sympathy there

Comment

Working...
                              X