Massacre at Virginia Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes he was a disturbed individual.

Yes the debate about gun controls arises after such tragedies.

Well if he was a disturbed individual why was he allowed too posess a firearm. Answer: because of loose gun laws.

The debate meaningfully and rightly so arises after such a tragedy.

The only thing i can say is if nut jobs can acquire posession of firearms, then its not a good thing.

With the gun laws not being changed, expect these massacres too happen again and again and again. And don't act suprised. Because it is a certainty.

Solution : -Impose tight gun laws, as seen in Australia and New Zealand. Watch crime rates drop. If you have an intruder, find cover and call the authorities for what they have been designed too achieve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Yes he was a disturbed individual.

Well if he was a disturbed individual why was he allowed too posess a firearm. Answer: because of loose gun laws.

The only thing i can say is if nut jobs can acquire posession of firearms, then its not a good thing.

With the gun laws not being changed, expect these massacres too happen again and again and again. And don't act suprised. Because it is a certainty.

Solution : -Impose tight gun laws, as seen in Australia and New Zealand. Watch crime rates drop. If you have an intruder, find cover and call the authorities for what they have been designed too achieve.
      You mean call for body bags for you and anyone else who is unfortunate enough to be there too? I will pick option #2, ie take responsibility for my own safety.
      Law enforcement does most of their work "after the fact". They rarely come in the nick of time if they even come at all.

The gun laws we currenty have bars disturbed individuals from buying firearms. The law was not followed. We have already seen the pipe dream of dropping crime rates when gun laws are tightened. It is nothing more than fools gold.
      Last edited by bonehead; 18 Apr 07,, 04:09.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Yes he was a disturbed individual.

So you would make everyone buying a gun go through an immediate psychiatric evaluation?

Nut jobs can also buy Drano, gunpowder, gasoline, motor vehicles, knives, tools, chlorine, and any number of highly dangerous items.

Your solution is vaginally-based and not to be respected. The true solution to a madman tramping around with a couple of handguns is to not act like sheep huddled for the slaughter, but instead organize and stop him or get away from him. Most people are simply not dangerous except by accident with a handgun at distances of over 50 feet or so.

As has been pointed out many times on many threads, the police that you rely on so heavily are neither required to protect you nor are they ever close enough to make a difference. Hell's Bells - when I was down at Bluesman's a couple of weekends ago there was a gang shooting on a public beach in broad daylight on Easter Sunday and the place was already crawling with cops who had been tipped-off that such an event was going to happen. They were ON THE SCENE and they achieved nothing. NOTHING. And it's not their job to do so anyway.

Arm yourself (and a good plan and awareness can be just as useful as a physical weapon, most days, for most people). Protect yourself. Be smart, be calm, and be lucky if you can manage that. Do NOT be a sheep. DO NOT rely on anyone else to be as interested in protecting your corpus as you are.

-dale

Comment

Wrong answer, it's because he was never diagnosed with a mental illness. If he had been, he would not be able to own a firearm. Not sure what gun control law is "loose" there. Could have forced psychiatric exams, but that's a little too Mengele for me to support.
          Originally posted by Commando View Post
          Kennesaw, Georgia
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Restrictive gun laws have not prevented massacres in NZ.
            crime.co.nz
            crime.co.nz
            crime.co.nz
            crime.co.nz
            Such killings can and do take place without the use of firearms.
            crime.co.nz
            The only limitation on the numbers killed is the number of people available to kill.

IMHO the difference in LEVELS of violence between NZ and America is the casualisation of killing, as represented by the Hollywood and television industries in the US.
            Jacksons right tit engenders outrage and millions of dollars in fines, gratuitously blowing someones head off on-screen in slow-motion with no connection to the plot is the norm. Whether this leads American societies standards or reflects them I can't say.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• See the last three posts from my previous posts, are pro-gun activists trying too influence readers of the thread.

Okay heres first, Most people with mental illnesses are not diagnosed. So they can purchase a gun? thats not very good too hear.

Secondly 32 people would not have died if tight gun laws similiar too Australia and New Zealand were in place.

These gun laws, take away what every citizen in democratic sociteties should have which is safety.

The solution is tighten gun controls similiar too that of Australia and New Zealand. It is working a treat here. Most gun deaths come from Security and police firing on criminals. Im not too upset about that.

Maybe the US should follow our lead.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                The bears and indians reference didn't come from me.

The amendment came about in part because of pre-Revoluionary War fears that Britain would attempt to disarm the colonists. When the war was over, people wanted a guarantee their new gov't couldn't do it either. They saw it as protection from a dictatorship as well as a way to raise troops to repel an invader.

Times have changed, so it seems. Some regulation is good and there is some. Perhaps not enough... But if the inconceivable happens and we are invaded, woe to the invader. There's enough firepower in private hands to make it a living hell for them.

cheers
                Times may have changed, but the Bill of Rights has not. We're not the king-sh!ts of the planet because of some fluke - we're the king-sh!ts because (and ONLY because) we kick The State to the back of the bus and rely on ourselves for our needs. The day that stops being true - and it looks like that day is getting closer - is the day we lose our king-sh!ttedness.

-dale

Comment

See the last three posts from my previous posts, are pro-gun activists trying too influence readers of the thread.
                  And you're an anti-gun activist trying to influnce readers of the thread. So?

Okay heres first, Most people with mental illnesses are not diagnosed. So they can purchase a gun? thats not very good too hear.
                  They can purchase most anything. Without diagnosis they're free to do all sorts of things.

Secondly 32 people would not have died if tight gun laws similiar too Australia and New Zealand were in place.

These gun laws, take away what every citizen in democratic sociteties should have which is safety.

The solution is tighten gun controls similiar too that of Australia and New Zealand. It is working a treat here. Most gun deaths come from Security and police firing on criminals. Im not too upset about that.

Kennesaw, Georgia
                  No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

What's your murder rates before and after the gun ban?

Comment

See the last three posts from my previous posts, are pro-gun activists trying too influence readers of the thread.
                      And you're an anti-gun activist trying to influence readers of this thread. So what? Point to any specifics in what I posted that are incorrect.

Undiagnosed people can do anything that diagnosed people can do. We have this crazy idea in our society that we presume you are competent until you prove otherwise. You object to this?

As others pointed out, a) you don't know that, and b) so what? 20 dead is okay? 2? The problem is that he was allowed to rampage on, not what he was rampaging with.

"...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness". The word "safety" ain't in there, and it's not guaranteed anywhere. You want to live in a weak society that relies on the State for safety, you go right ahead, but don't presume to tell me I should want to do the same.

See my answer in a previous post RE "king-sh!ts". ;)

-dale

Comment

• Commando

The flaw in your thinking is that you are blaming the gun. This argument is emotional, not logical. You should be blaming the individual who did the crime.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• I believe guns do cause crimes.

After each gun crime, I propose we put the gun on trial, judged by a jury of its peers. If found guilty, it will be punished.

I don't believe we should punish all law abiding guns by getting rid of all of them just because a few committed crimes. That's like gassing all the jews because they stole your economy or executing all the blacks because they commit all the crimes. That's completely illogical.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Well i guess theres really no solution. Because Australia's stats show homicide with guns has declined. But armed robbery has increased.Results of the New Australian Gun Laws (GunsAndCrime.org)

So i dunno. I guess theres no answer. this is just the a thing that happens in the world. Its either no guns at all. Or guns for everyone. If its guns for everyone then every classmate should posess one.

Comment

• How common are intruders into American homes?

Could it be because the intruder has a gun that he dares enter a house without the fear of a good thrashing and then being sent to jail?

In India, if someone intrudes at even during the dead of night and he is detected, the victim would holler and the whole neighbourhood would wake up and get the intruder and give him a hiding of his life and then hand him over to the police.

Maybe that is why we don't require guns.

Maybe a cultural issue. Here, we put the community welfare above the individual.

An intruder in your house today could be an intruder in my house tomorrow. If I don't help, then it will become the attitude and he would also not help and the neighbourhood would become hell is the philosophy what governs out here.

Each to his own culture I presume!
                              Last edited by Ray; 18 Apr 07,, 06:54.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Actually, the gun culture is so conspicuous by its absence in India or should I say in the city where I live that when I retired some wondered, being a military man, did I have a Bofor gun in my cupboard!!!!

Imagine that! They don't know what an artillery piece is or how huge and long it is!

And I am not making that up!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                                X