Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by glyn
    But if nobody has guns a lot of problems should disappear. Is anyone saying that without them life in the US would resemble first century Rome? Surely the US is a civilized country?

And if no one had cars lots of problems would disappear. And if no one had alcohol lots of problems would disappear. And if no one had clitoral hoods a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had swimming pools a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had books a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had private pilot licenses a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had kitchen knives a lot of problems would disappear.

I'm not interested in what might be or what could have been. I'm interested in making sure we can be responsible for our own safety and protection, because no one else is going to do the job.

Doesn't answer either of the questions posed, does it?
    Those who see only black and white will go for one extreme or the other, whilst those able to see the grey tend not to be so dogmatic about things.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Quote:
      But if nobody has guns a lot of problems should disappear. Is anyone saying that without them life in the US would resemble first century Rome? Surely the US is a civilized country?

And if no one had cars lots of problems would disappear. And if no one had alcohol lots of problems would disappear. And if no one had clitoral hoods a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had swimming pools a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had books a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had private pilot licenses a lot of problems would disappear. And if no one had kitchen knives a lot of problems would disappear.

I'm not interested in what might be or what could have been. I'm interested in making sure we can be responsible for our own safety and protection, because no one else is going to do the job.

Doesn't answer either of the questions posed, does it?
      Those who see only black and white will go for one extreme or the other, whilst those able to see the grey tend not to be so dogmatic about things.
      I have no idea what you are talking about.

-dale

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
        Quote:
        Would they? I believe one is not being reasonable with assuming such. After all, we know that the favorite weapon of a rapist is not a gun but a knife. Would rapes go up because now the rapist knows the victim cannot shoot him? Unknown but it is not a probelm that should disappear because the gun is taken away.

Further, the rapist is a criminal, in a sense, uncivilized; what possibly makes someone believe that a world with no guns would make a criminal become civilized, that they would become law abiding, whether they can get a gun or not?

Finally, and I'm not even sure of this myself, personally, I've heard a lot of people say that if they outlaw their guns, they are going to take their gun, walk out the door, and drop into the background of the crowd, out of sight. It is not in the American nature to surrender the ability to fight back, IMHO.
        -----------------------------------------------------
        (When you first become a police officer, you will want to carry your gun all the time. After two or three years, you will have to carry your gun all the time.--(wtte), saying in the police culture)

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I touched on this subject long ago. My theory is the homogeneity of the Swiss society. Switzerland is not nearly as diverse as the United States. Just like the Scandanavian countries, everyone there looks about the same. They share very close heritage, history, language, traditions, and so on.

Here in the United States, we have dozens of customs and hundreds of backgrounds. I think I read a report saying that there are over 100 different languages spoken in Los Angeles alone. Different culture, different people, different skin color, will create tension. Many new immigrants aren't well off. Poverty creates tension as well.
          Interesting point you make there. It may well be true to a certain extent. But there were Blacks, Whites, Asians, Catholics, Jews, WASPS, yanks, southerners etc during the turn of last century. And their(all foreign categories) influx into the US was sudden and in large numbers. Why were there no similar levels of violence back then?

Even the mob(Italian immigrants) violence was more economic in nature, not random. There may have been systemic violence againist a minority community(like Blacks/Chinese), but not random like in todays world. I think, as other posters have mentioned, there is mass epidemic of mental sickness the world over.

I don't buy poverty reason. There are many poor people the world over, but some societies are not as violence prone.

Comment

Working...
          X