Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Massacre at Virginia Campus

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Heres the only solution. Ban guns in the USA. You don't need a gun too protect yourself from an intruder in your home or someone who is threatening you. Take up boxing or something, or use a knife or baseball bat. These massacre's are only going too continue too happen until gun laws are tightened. Theres no way anyway should be allowed to possess a gun other than military personnel. And no way should all students be allowed too have them too protect themselves thats just moronic. Anyone who is supporting the current gun laws of the USA, is the reason why things like this are happening are only going too continue too happen in the future.
    Commando,

Try fending off a home invasion robbery with boxing, bludgeon or a butcher knife and see how far you get.

We had a home invasion here last week where the perps brought not one but to shotguns along to insure the success of their spurious undertaking.

Butt stroking and pistol whipping are common causes of injury to the victims of home invasions which tends to indicate that the ner'do'wells are bringing firearms to the party which reminds one of the First Rule of Gunfighting: "have a gun".

Many American criminals travel in packs and carry firearms which would tend to contraindicate your sadly misinformed postion.

As to only the military having firearms, the Founding Fathers, as Bluesman has pointed out, had a very low opinion of this idea. Fact of the matter is that the Second Amendment ain't about duck hunting, it is for protecting one's Liberty from the derpedations of government and other facets of tyrrany.

As to your assertion that the massacres will cease with the reduction in availability firearms, I have four words for you: "Happy Land Social Club".

I do not seem to recall any firearms used by the 9-11 Hijackers and they massacard a couple of thousand people but I digress.

The lesson to be learned by ourselves, the Terrorists, common criminals and sundry malevolent entities from the WV Tech murders is how the United States as a nation at war protects its children: it does not.

The apex of terror is preying upon the fears over the welfare of children.

I wonder what the champions of the "Gun Free School Zones" are going to say when some Islamisist or other crank with a beef against Americans real or percieved walks across our unsecure borders and kills lots of children in one of our many unsecured day care centers, elementary schools, high schools or universities.

Tragedy is usually defined as being preventable which makes it a fair adjective to describe the crimes perpetrated at West Virginia Tech.

William
    Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

911 was one thing and this is another, what do they have in common? It seems Student Visas! Seems the perp was only in country 1 year. Could it be that 32 people are dead today because our leaders are incompetent, corrupted, selfish buffoons. You would think after 911 we would have learned.

Banned
    Nevertheless, I would have thought horrific events like this are more common in the US because of the long established gun culture. Someone with an explosive grudge is going to use his gun if he has one. He will be fearless and deadly. Without a gun he is more likely to hold back (or is he going thrash around the school with a boxcutter or a tinopener? No) and certainly will be nowhere near as dealy.

If there is even a mediocre chance that a homeowner has a gun, a robber is going to make sure he is well armed and shoot first. It's a kind of arms race. That is the price you pay for decreasing the chance of suffering home invasion. (Note break-ins -per head- are more common in the UK, but violent break-ins with firearms much less common)

However, most victims are shot by someone they know, in a grievance, dispute, or fit of anger. This type of incident must be directly proportional to the degree of gun ownership.

Americans claim the right to own a gun because of the clause in the second Amendment. However, this was written for a different era. The founding fathers would not have envisaged weapons capable of mass murder in the hands of a private hands. Nobody was going to run amock in a school with a flintlock. I believe the second amendment arose out of the existence of common law which still existed in England, and was introduced to satisfy anti-federalists who wanted it as a countermeasure to the new federal army. Is that right? None of these apply now, surely.

Modern Americans undoubtedly still want the right to bear arms for protection, but as a consquence of the prevailing gun culture. But it's more than that, don't deny it: it's toys for boys. Guns are no different to fast cars, boats etc. They're objects of passion.

There is gun control in Virginia: you're restricted to buying only 12 guns per year. 12 guns per year?!! Protection??! Please!!!

I think on the other hand the culture is probably irreversible. There are, what, 300m firearms in circulation? So what is gun control going to achieve apart from drive that lot underground. And make good guys feel vulnerable. It would take radical measures several generations to reach a tangible benefit. I think the US made its bed long ago. All you can do is lie in it.

Officer of Engineers
    Oh for Pete sakes, for all those who are pro-gun control, just look at China and Russia where they have the toughest gun controls on the planet and criminals are having gun battles with police using AK47s. 32 is horrific but nowhere close the sprees that has happened in China and Russia.

Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Heres the only solution. Ban guns in the USA. You don't need a gun too protect yourself from an intruder in your home or someone who is threatening you. Take up boxing or something, or use a knife or baseball bat. These massacre's are only going too continue too happen until gun laws are tightened. Theres no way anyway should be allowed to possess a gun other than military personnel. And no way should all students be allowed too have them too protect themselves thats just moronic. Anyone who is supporting the current gun laws of the USA, is the reason why things like this are happening are only going too continue too happen in the future.
    oh god, dude you are cluless, stop living in the fantasy world, get real.

a few years ago, hunters found a guy sitting on their three stand on their land hunting, they made him leave their property, the guy came back with assult rifle and shot them all dead, interestingly enough he was chinise too.

we shouldn't worry about guns, we should worry about idiots in us, if he knew someone else has a gun too, he might not start the whole shooting spree at all, or he would be killed before 32 ppl were killed, police protection is a myth, marshal arts are usless in many cases, gun works everytime.

Commando consider this a wake up call.
    To start not all home invaders are human. But some of them do eat humans. I dare you to tell my crippled 80 year old mother that she has to defend her home against home invaders with a bat. If she was able to she would knock you into the middle of next week for such an arrogant foolish statement. You have a lot of lessons to learn and old age is going to be your teacher.

HKHolic Senior Contributor leib10's Avatar
    This is just the kind of attitude that we need to fight against. No matter how strict gun laws are, no matter how many guns they ban, the criminals will ALWAYS be able to acquire them illegally. All banning guns will do is take them away from law-abiding citizens, such as myself and other esteemed members on this board.

If a criminal came after me with a gun, I want to be damned sure that I can retaliate with equal force- not with a baseball bat, as you put it. And I definitely don't want to try to knock him out with my "boxing skills"!

Get a clue, dude.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Actually, having guns is a very good way of protecting yourself. The worst massacre before this was the massacre at Univ. of Texas. The gunman was a sniper and killed 16 people. Guess what? He had over 200 bullets. Why didn't he kill more?

Answer: Because people, ordinary citizens who own guns were shooting back. They kept him from aiming at people since he would had to duck down from all those bullets trying to hit him. Thus, there was no further bloodshed. He was contained.

Now compare with VT massacre. See the high casualty rate. The gunman probably emptied his entire ammo without having to worry about any return fire. I will tell you if one of those people who got killed was carrying a gun, the death toll would be vastly lower. Instead of 32, it would have been 10 or less.

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by omon View Post
    a few years ago, hunters found a guy sitting on their three stand on their land hunting, they made him leave their property, the guy came back with assult rifle and shot them all dead, interestingly enough he was chinise too.
    He was Hmong.

Shooter Identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23

April 17, 2007 Police have identified the Virginia Tech killer responsible for the deaths of 32 people as Cho Seung-hui.

Cho, 23, a Virginia Tech student and a native of South Korea, was a resident alien who lived in Centerville, Va.

Police say the senior English major, who lived in Harper Hall dormitory, was likely responsible for both shootings at the university, the first of which took place at around 7:15 a.m. Monday, when two people were killed at West Ambler Johnston Hall dormitory. Later that morning, the remaining victims were killed in the engineering studies building Norris Hall.

Immigration officials linked the fingerprints at the scene to Cho's immigration documents.

Legal permanent resident aliens may purchase firearms in the state of Virginia. The buyer must, however, provide additional identification to prove he or she is a resident of the state.

ABC News: Shooter Identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23

I agree with the Americans on the topic of gun ownership and that an armed student (or anyone else) is better able to defend themselves against gun wielding criminals and even thwart their criminal activity. Everyone has a right to defend themselves and if that means shooting down a criminal that's trying to victimise you then so be it.

Many laws that exist in the modern World today force innocent, decent people to become victims because they take away our right to defend ourselves and fight back against criminals using deadly force (like shooting them).

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by leib10 View Post
    This is just the kind of attitude that we need to fight against. No matter how strict gun laws are, no matter how many guns they ban, the criminals will ALWAYS be able to acquire them illegally. All banning guns will do is take them away from law-abiding citizens, such as myself and other esteemed members on this board.

If a criminal came after me with a gun, I want to be damned sure that I can retaliate with equal force- not with a baseball bat, as you put it. And I definitely don't want to try to knock him out with my "boxing skills"!

Get a clue, dude.
    Here's a thought, how bout the authorities do their job and stop criminals being able too purchase guns. Secondly if people are fighting against my attitude, then the future of the world does not seem very bright. This is a very complicated issue but one in which i have too stay against the lenient gun laws of the USA.

All this is going too lead too is more massacres. but i spose its about the US economy.

All these criminal and gun situations can be stopped without allowing the criminals too get the guns in the first place. Secondly, allowing guns creates instability in the trust of humans towards others and leads to a more unstable and fragile world.

The truth of the matter is . There is only one solution. Tighten gun laws. Clamp down on guns on the black market and lets have this nonsense not happen.

but anyways could this guy have killed 32 people with a knife?

I seriously doubt it.

I am urging neutral visitors and members of the DP too not be easily influenced by pro-gun for everyone members on this forum.

No guns is the only way forward. Trust your brother. Hes the same brother that is in the trenches with you on the battlefield.

we shouldn't worry about guns, we should worry about idiots in us,
    I can recognise a gun and understand its lethality. But an idiot..........?

The police should have acted in the first instance and not wait for 2 hours for the second shooting!

Lest I am misunderstood, don't mix up by first sentence with this one, since I am not alluding to the police as idiots. There must have been some reason for the delay in reacting.
    Last edited by Ray; 17 Apr 07, at 16:12.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Thread Information