This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many years in?

Wanted to get an idea how many years the military guys on our forum served, perhaps year enlisted and year retired too.

I think Ray could hold claim to the longest time served among the membership, I'm going to guess low to mid 30's. :)
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

My uniformed service was: RAF 1957 - 1961.
    Army ( 1RTR & AAC) 1961-1980.
    'Intelligence Services' 1980 - 1987.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Enlisted 18 Feb '86.

Retired 1 Mar '06.

Total time: 20 years, 10 days.

Not counting seven days AWOL that they never found out about.

Oh, and 47 free leave days that I told 'em about, but they couldn't fix, so I took 'em anyway.

The rest of it was legit.

Comment

signed on the dotted line 1966 Signed off the dotted line 1989 all Service with 1ST Royal Tank Regiment...23yrs:)

Comment

In uniform 3 years 187 days..... Then alot of terminal leave time and some commander authorized release because I was working in the same command as a contractor at the time and there was a 3 week window for the time I was in for the US stop loss program. (At least in the unit I was in stop loss was terrible for the unit and personal morale.)

Oh and another 18 months as a direct unit operations supporting contractor.
          Last edited by Maxor; 16 Apr 07,, 17:50. Reason: Correction

Comment

I've been in the TA for about 18 months now, for a total of about 100 days served. I'd guess that makes me the most inexperienced on the forum.
            Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
            Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

USMC 2/2/68-29/5/68 Delayed Entry Program, 30/5/68-28/2/89 'On Deck'.

Comment

Total 2 yrs 9 months.

Joined Navy air reserves in 1956 while still in high school; military service was still compulsary then and besides they were offering a free trip to Miami (I can still feel the sun burn...);

2 years active duty in Kingsville, TX; separated; and then recalled in 1962 for Cuban Missile Crisis; 7 months active at Pax River and 6 weeks at Gitmos on deployment with VP661.

Many years go by, then work as a civilian at Pentagon for 9 great years.
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

called up JAN 13 1986 one year in the first south african infantry battalion ,trained in Mech warfare ,Trench clearlng ,and house clearing ,first year spent 3 month in Mamelodi doing riot control,Dec 86 transferred to 61 mechanised infantry Battalion finished in Dec 1987 ,Spent 10 years in the reseves Cape Town Higlanders .Now living in Spain

Comment

130 days in labor battalion.

Comment

Served active duty USN from Jan '80 to Jul "89.

Went TAD in a special forces unit on CV-66 for 3 mos in '80 called "Mess-cranks"! Learned hand-to-hand plate scraping, got qual'd on a fully auto-galley "dragon". Earned a verbal commendation for skill in hurling full garbage bags of trash off the ship's fantail. I wore my hygienic, disposable paper hat with PRIDE! The rumor that we handled and operated deck buffers is classified and can niether be confirmed or denied!

Comment

I spent 5 1/2 years on active duty in the US Marine Corps from 94-99. I'm still a drilling Reservist with an LAR Bn and have been mobilized twice, spending 2 of the last 7 years on active duty.

Comment

Enlisted 13 Dec 1979

Retired 1 Jan 2000

All were great assignments but DC and South Korea were favorites.
                          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                          sigpic

Comment

Served 2 yrs and 6 months in the 6th BN Singapore Infantry Regiment. Currently in the Reserves (667th BN Infantry)
                            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Total time: 7 years, 10 months
                              From which 5 years I was trained and about 3 years I serve directly in army

Comment

Working...
                              X