This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
    Drafted into Kantemir Tank Division (Russia) for 2 years in 1990 as a tank ? APC (BTR 70) driver. Served only 1 year - due to being wounded in combat.
    Ahh yes , the BTR 70 PB ? , what happened to you in combat ? where ? .:)

Comment

Active Duty USAF currently stationed at RAF Lakenheath. Been in for 3-years thus far...

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
        Ahh yes , the BTR 70 PB ? , what happened to you in combat ? where ? .:)
        ON a border with Afghanistan in 1990 after Soviet Army left Afghanistan. Mujaheddins (we called them Dushmans or Duhi - which in Russian means spirits) continued to wage war over the border and operated in Panshir mountains in Tajikistan. My APC hit a mine on one of the roads that was planted by these guys. Got my skull fractured and being delivered to the military hospital at the last moment. I was lucky and that is why I am sitting here today.
        "We Shall Never Surrender" Winston Churchill

Comment

How many years in?

Always remember 4 Aug 1978 to 28 Feb 1983. Total active duty time 4 1/2 years. Some great duty (last three years) at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD with the Ordnance Center & School. Wonderful experience for any young person.

OrdC80

Comment

Recently retired (01 November) after twenty years in the USAF, all in Fire Protection. Now it's time for a short vacation and then look for a new career as a civilian.
            "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by McFire View Post
              Recently retired (01 November) after twenty years in the USAF, all in Fire Protection. Now it's time for a short vacation and then look for a new career as a civilian.
              Congrats on your retirement. I've been retired AF for over 7 years. Civilian life isn't too bad!
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
                ON a border with Afghanistan in 1990 after Soviet Army left Afghanistan. Mujaheddins (we called them Dushmans or Duhi - which in Russian means spirits) continued to wage war over the border and operated in Panshir mountains in Tajikistan. My APC hit a mine on one of the roads that was planted by these guys. Got my skull fractured and being delivered to the military hospital at the last moment. I was lucky and that is why I am sitting here today.
                Lucky indeed mate , lucky indeed .:)

Comment

Originally posted by McFire View Post
                  Sure wish we'd have met while I was there, mate. (You missed a helluva party, bro!)

Congrats on retirement.

Comment

HQ ARMCEG, Singapore Armed Forces, between 2003-2005
                    Bridging Engineers, As a Logistician.

Comment

Sep 86' - May 2000

Comment

Bluesman if you don't mind me asking I'm perennially confused; were you an intelligence dude in the USAF? I wanna say either analyst or perhaps some sort of boots-on-ground foward air controller (I keep hearing 'SOCOM'). Cheers.

Originally posted by Cod View Post
                        Active Duty USAF currently stationed at RAF Lakenheath. Been in for 3-years thus far...
                        Glad to have you aboard HMS Britain!
                        Last edited by HistoricalDavid; 24 Dec 07,, 00:50.
                        HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
                          Bluesman if you don't mind me asking I'm perennially confused; were you an intelligence dude in the USAF? I wanna say either analyst or some sort of boots-on-ground foward air controller. Cheers.
                          I was, and I am again, an intelligence dude in the Air Force.

I was 20 years active duty uniformed military, and I retired last year from Special Operations Command, where I was non-commissioned-officer-in-charge of the NSA liasion detachment there. I became a contractor with the world's best consulting firm, and worked with Newguy at CENTCOM's J2 in Tampa.

My wife, also active duty uniformed military, then got orders to Travis AFB, and we moved here. I finally got hired as an Air Force civvie, and I'm the Big Cheese at the 13th Intelligence Squadron's Strategic and Long-Term Analysis shop at Beale AFB.

Never did any FAC stuff, though. The closest I ever got was being put on SOCOM's deployable intel element, and we never actually went anywhere but some field training exercises around our home station. Never heard a shot fired in anger.

Comment

Cleared up to spanking clean standards, cheers.
                            HD Ready?

Comment

I was in the army from October, 1968, through October, 1971. I was a postal clerk with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in the central highlands of Vietnam from May, 1969, through April, 1970, -- roughly between Hamburger Hill and Cambodia. The remaining time I was a unit mail clerk at Walter Reed where I had time to read about military history, particularly as it related to Vietnam.
                              There must be no barriers for freedom of inquiry. R. Oppenheimer

Comment

7 years in the service, 3.5 (and counting) Active Duty.

12 months Boots on Ground in Afghanistan
                                12 months Boots on Ground in Balad/Samarra, Iraq
                                "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Working...
                                X