This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wolf X View Post
    Currently serving: Commissioned May 4 2008 and currently in the middle of deployment two to Iraq
    Just remember something everytime you get promoted. Sh!t floats.

Comment

• Says just about the biggest cheese here on WAB
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• I'm 6 years in with Her Majesty's Royal Marines and still going.

Enlisted: Sep 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by gdmillar View Post
          I'm 6 years in with Her Majesty's Royal Marines and still going.

Enlisted: Sep 2005
          Mate, why don't you start out an intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself, your service, where you come from, etc...?
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            Mate, why don't you start out an intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself, your service, where you come from, etc...?
            Done. Thanks for the reminder.

-Gary

Comment

• No worries, mate!

Comment

• 24 years

24 years Royal Australian Regiment.

Comment

• I enlisted in the US Army late in 79 under the Delayed Entry Program. Served in uniform from June of 80 to Nov 87 then enlisted in the USAF(NG) as a Security Police Officer. Did that from 87 to 96. Then went tanks from 97 to retirement in 04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                    I enlisted in the US Army late in 79 under the Delayed Entry Program. Served in uniform from June of 80 to Nov 87 then enlisted in the USAF(NG) as a Security Police Officer. Did that from 87 to 96. Then went tanks from 97 to retirement in 04.
                    33 years, hell of a run

Why tanks?

I saw on your website you do consulting. How's that going?
                    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Because tanks are bloody awesome, that's why!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yak View Post
                        24 years Royal Australian Regiment.
                        Welcome to the party Yak.
                        This place is a lot like Gilligans Island at times only there seems to be more Gilligans than Professors. The head Gilligan is a Pommy called Tankie.
                        You've been warned.

Freddie
                        Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                        vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

• Errr wassa gilligan :confu:

Comment

• Less than a year:D Conscription in 1998 - 1999. As of today I am participating in local volunteer defence/reservist training (3-5 times a year). Little over a year ago I got downgraded from artillery to infantry. Damn it!

Comment

• Hi Mustavaris - good to see you.

I often wish I had retained some sort of connection to my service, guard or reserve, but I made a clean break back into civilian life. In Finland, is Reserve a compulsory thing after being on active duty? Do all Finland males have a compulsory service?

Comment

• Cheers, it is my pleasure to be here:) The Finnish Constitution has only one obligation for each and every citizen and it is the duty to defend the Fatherland and for men it means compulsory national service which is taken care of by either conscription in the armed forces, unarmed service in the armed forces or in civil service. But they do not need everyone and not everyone is fit for service thus aprox 80 % serve in the uniform, 10 % in the civilian service and 10 % are relieved from the peace time service, but the trend is that less and less serve in the uniform and in somer regions 30 % of the age group are found out to be unfit for service...

Every one who is fit is placed to the reserve after the duty, officers stay in the reserve til their 50s, men til they are 35. Some are called for new training more often than others, but usually the compulsory reservist training ends around 26-30 for non-officers and during the early/mid 40s for officers. Each one reaches the training according to the war time assignment. Besides this compulsory system we have volunteer service for the reservists and active local defence companies (aprox 25 in the whole country) whose men keep their gear excl. weapons at home. I am active volunteer at the local defence, but I havenīt joined the local company so I am now assigned to the local defence infantry, train with them but I have not commited myself to the unit and mostly choose the excercises I join. My new assignment saiz that if the whistle is blown, I will either be sniper target at the infantry (FO-teams radist) or at the battalion HQ.

As a whole the reservist system gives us great numbers but some units are definately not up to their tasks. We have paper battalions that would be staffed by men who have not received any training whatsoever during the last 5-10 years... This is one of the reasons why they are planning to cut down the war time strength to 250 000.

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                                Hi Mustavaris - good to see you.

I often wish I had retained some sort of connection to my service, guard or reserve, but I made a clean break back into civilian life. In Finland, is Reserve a compulsory thing after being on active duty? Do all Finland males have a compulsory service?

Comment

Working...
                                X