Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted to get an idea how many years the military guys on our forum served, perhaps year enlisted and year retired too.
    Enlisted in the Marine Corps in '97
    Deployed on the Essex and Tarawa
    EAS June of '01

A fun time this was:

In August 2000, following the extensive dry dock overhaul period in Bremerton, Wash., TARAWA deployed for the eleventh time to the Western Pacific, Indian Ocean and Arabian Gulf. This deployment included wreath-laying ceremonies at the World War II battle sites of Tarawa Atoll, Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima. While deployed, TARAWA provided humanitarian relief supplies to the war-ravaged country of East Timor, and in October 2000, participated in Operation Determined Response, steaming to the Gulf of Aden in Yemen to provide USS COLE (DDG 67) and United States Government agencies on-site logistics, force protection, and evacuation support following the horrific terrorist attack on the COLE.
    Last edited by silentsam; 22 Feb 09,, 19:28. Reason: more
    Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

• Silent Sam, was that the USS Tarawa? My dad was on that in the 1950s. That can't be the same one, can it? I have some sort of like year book from the crew.

Sorry, I just realized this was for military only. Ooops. won't do it again. So sorry. :(
      Last edited by LadyLawyer; 23 Feb 09,, 04:41.

Deo Vindice

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyLawyer View Post
        Silent Sam, was that the USS Tarawa? My dad was on that in the 1950s. That can't be the same one, can it? I have some sort of like year book from the crew.

Sorry, I just realized this was for military only. Ooops. won't do it again. So sorry. :(
        Good question. The name was recycled. Your father was probably on the USS Tarawa (CV-4), which was launched in 1945. I was aboard the USS Tarawa (LHA-1), which launched in 1973.

USS Tarawa LHA-1

USS Tarawa CV-40
        Last edited by silentsam; 23 Feb 09,, 05:20.
        Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

• swore in on 11 Sept 2007
          Shipped off to BASIC on 19 Sept 2007
          Still currently serving
          Facing a Medical Discharge... (never deployed)

Comment

• I was commissioned through Army ROTC in September 1996 but didn't come on Active Duty til September 2000. I've been Active Army ever since. I've had the pleasure of spending 12 months in Kuwait during OIF I-II, 12 months in Iraq for OIF 04-06, and 5 more months in Iraq for OIF 07-09.

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Wanted to get an idea how many years the military guys on our forum served, perhaps year enlisted and year retired too.

I think Ray could hold claim to the longest time served among the membership, I'm going to guess low to mid 30's. :)
              22 years 28 days (army).
              Koslova

Comment

• 3 years 4 months (1972-30.04.1975) in the 8 th Airborne Battalion of ARVN.

Comment

• Time in service

I did 14 years in the navy from 1977 to 1991, then was medically retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulc0222 View Post
                    I did 14 years in the navy from 1977 to 1991, then was medically retired.
                    Paulc' well done for the Service you have done for your Country..Re-post this on the INTRO Thread if you have the inclination;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      Wanted to get an idea how many years the military guys on our forum served, perhaps year enlisted and year retired too.

I think Ray could hold claim to the longest time served among the membership, I'm going to guess low to mid 30's. :)
                      I enlisted in 51 retired in 1983. amryform

Comment

• Originally posted by amryform View Post
                        I enlisted in 51 retired in 1983. amryform
                        Ooh-rah. I salute you Sir!

Comment

• 9 years 26 days, - Loved it - miss it.
                          Last edited by DragoonGuard; 26 Jun 09,, 07:25.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DragoonGuard View Post
                            9 years 26 days, - Loved it - miss it.

I'm a whore, - Cause I left to make money........
                            Should have stayed in, the money just got better and better.:))

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                              Should have stayed in, the money just got better and better.:))
                              Was looking at the present rates of pay the other week, - And remembering what I was on!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DragoonGuard View Post
                                Was looking at the present rates of pay the other week, - And remembering what I was on!
                                I still have a payslip from 1980, whch says I got paid £14 a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X