Thread: My legacy will last, says Blair

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar

My legacy will last, says Blair

My legacy will last, says Blair

Tony Blair has said his legacy as prime minister will "stand the test of time" and the "final building blocks" of reform are being put in place.

He told BBC One's Politics Show that reducing NHS waiting times, building more schools and tackling anti-social behaviour were among his achievements.

He said planned policy announcements were not aimed at "binding" his successor, but "doing what is right".

His legacy would be judged "in the long term", Mr Blair added.

'Different politician'

Mr Blair, who is expected to announce his departure from office next month, said: "When you ask the question 'Will our changes stand the test of time?', the answer is they will."

He said he had become a "different type of politician" during his 10 years in Downing Street.

Mr Blair added that he had "tried to take decisions that are in the country's long-term interest".

Critics have argued that a planned series of announcements on health, education and anti-social behaviour are aimed at controlling the policy agenda of his successor, widely expected to be Chancellor Gordon Brown.

Mr Blair said: "It's nothing to do with binding the hands of my successor. It's doing what is right."

Hospitals

Despite a Royal College of Nursing report claiming that 22,300 NHS jobs have been lost in the last 18 months, Mr Blair defended his record on health.

He said: "When we came to power, people used to die on waiting lists waiting for their heart operations. People don't do that any more."

On education, he said only 80 schools in the country had 70% of their pupils getting five good GCSEs when the government came to power but "the figure today is over 600".

"The number of failing schools - cut dramatically, the number of 11-year-olds getting their requisite passes - up dramatically," he added.

Mr Blair said decisions which will be taken over the next few weeks will "secure the long-term changes for the future".
    Source: BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | My legacy will last, says Blair
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Tax Tax and more Tax..B Lair will certainly go DOWN as a NANNY STATE PM. The sooner he goes the better

Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    This makes me VERY sad to write this, dave, as I've been an Anglophile for my entire life (until @ three years ago), but...

I think you guys are screwed. You now have a choice between:

1) a bunch of lefty Euro-statists that more-or-less have the One Big Thing (the war) kind of right sort of in a way, but will ultimately sow the seeds of your mediocrity and slide into sad international irrelevancy and societal decay, OR

2) completely incoherent not-so-lefty/slightly-right-of-completely-lunatic-collectivism that is absolutely wrong on the war and the One True Alliance Which Is Indispensable If Only They Weren't Too Stupid To Know It.

The choice between the only two rational parties (that other gang of loons doesn't bear mentioning, and the fact that they're gathering strength should tell the Big Two just how bad a job they've done crafting a platform that is politically viable) is Euro-dumb and Euro-dumber, and both are unworthy of the world's greatest People, the Britons.

Just one Yank's opinion, kindly offered to a subject of the realm that birthed the nations I hold in highest esteem.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    to be fair to blair,

the labour party he re-made is rather different from the labour party that came before. while it would be accurate and fair to call old labour a bunch of statists who flirted with communism, new labour has not been unfriendly to the market- and the UK's economic growth rates demonstrate this.

even the conservatives have seen that particular appeal of a middle-ground...and are trying to replicate it.

for all the problems the UK is facing, it is doing the best it has ever been for the past fifty years. this is not the UK of the mid-70s, and thank god.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    No kiddin' man. It was like watching your Mum racing towards a cliff in a car with bad brakes.

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    If it wasn't for the Iraq War, people would remember him as one of the greatest PMs.

Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    If it wasn't for the Iraq War, people would remember him as one of the greatest PMs.

Says who?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster View Post
    The Iraq war was a symptom of an arrogant conviction politician who was constantly torn between his own, often baseless, beliefs and his desire to be popular and was therefore only able to govern through spin and manipulation.

Officer of Engineers
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    Says who?
    Oh just a wild guess. Tony Blair?

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I was just referring to how negative impact that the Iraq war had on Blair's popularity. Before the Iraq War, Blair was quite popular. Not anymore.

Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    He isn't backward about coming forward!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

I am sure Blair must have done something worthwhile.

It will be for posterity to judge him.

No matter one's personal choice of economics that makes the World a Paradise on Earth, British policies have survived the test of time. The nanny policies as some colourful refer to British 'womb to the tomb' matrix , seems to have made the British economy quite robust and I reckon basic amenities are available to all, unlike that in many countries including many developed countries. A country is for all and not a select few who wallow with all the advantages and the lesser endowed survive on the goodness of the Creator!

Bellyachers are a dime to dozen. Give them a gift horse and they will check if the teeth are made of Gold!

To be sure, even though Britons are against the War in Iraq, Blair still won the elections. Does show that inspite of great dislike for his foreign policy, he is still riding high on his other policies, including the economic ones. Does prove it is working - at least for those who live in Britain and claim citizenship.

Good luck to them.
    Last edited by Ray; 17 Apr 07, at 05:01.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Thread Information