• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"

--Plato
    I will not trade humanity for patriotism

Comment

Oliver Cromwell:
      “you have been sat to long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, i say, and let us have done with you. In the name of god, go!.”

Addressing the rump parliament. April 1653.

Also repeated to Chamberlain in 1940 but forget which MP did so.

Comment

Re the "nuts" quote; sounds very similar to the French Napoleanic Old Guard who defending the retreat at Waterloo and surrounded by Anglo- Prussians when asked for their surrender replied: "Merde!"

Comment

A ship is referred to as a she because it cost so much to keep one in paint and powder - Chester Nimitz

Comment

Captain Blackadder saying to private Baldrick

Comment

Baldrick.....were in a very sticky situation......I stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun......

Comment

“Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”

-Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials
                Sometimes, the worst thing about Nazis is that they speak the truth.

Comment

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today," -Admiral David Beatty, after 2 battlecruisers were sunk @ Jutland.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                    Oliver Cromwell:
                    “you have been sat to long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, i say, and let us have done with you. In the name of god, go!.”

Addressing the rump parliament. April 1653.

Also repeated to Chamberlain in 1940 but forget which MP did so.
                    Leo Amery

Comment

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Si vis pacem, para bellum

To secure peace means to prepare for war - Metallica
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Oh, Oh!

20 months.....I sense a a certain Gunny lurking!
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Oh, Oh!

20 months.....I sense a a certain Gunny lurking!
                            Who said that one?
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"We say to you today in a loud and clear voice: Enough of blood and tears. Enough." - Yitzhak Rabin

Comment

Never in the field of human conflict is so much owed by so many to so few

Churchill , B O B .

Comment

Working...
                                X