X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"War is a mere continuation of policy by other means."

von Clausewitz

Comment

"Fairness is a wonderful attribute, Major Anderson. It has nothing to do with war."

Pacifists are objectively pro-fascist. -George Orwell

We have become too civilized to grasp the obvious. For the truth is very simple. To survive you often have to fight, and to fight you have to dirty yourself. War is evil, and it is often the lesser evil. Those who take the sword perish by the sword, and those who don't take the sword perish by smelly diseases.

Anyone who clings to the historically untrue — and thoroughly immoral — doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence settled their fates quite nicely. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms. — Mr. Dubois in Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

here is a great quote ;)

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood" Iron Chancellor

Comment

"Give me blood and I'll give you freedom" - Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.

I once heard him saying that in TV years ago, anyone has anything in his original voice ?

Comment

I am God’s slave and sultan of this world. By grace of God I am head of Muhammad’s community. God’s might and Muhammad’s miracles are my companions. I am Süleymân, in whose name the hutbe is read in Mecca and Medina. In Baghdad, I am the shah, in Byzantine realms the Caesar, and in Egypt the sultan; who sends his fleets to the seas of Europe, the Maghrib and India. I am the sultan who took the crown and throne of Hungary and granted them to a humble slave. The voivoda Petru raised his head in revolt, but my horse’s hoofs ground him into the dust, and I conquered the land of Moldavia." Suleiman
            "Muslims like to brag, but they rarely have a good reason."
            -Bluesman

"What is a throne? — a bit of wood gilded and covered in velvet. I am the state— I alone am here the representative of the people. Even if I had done wrong you should not have reproached me in public—people wash their dirty linen at home. France has more need of me than I of France." Napoleon I
            "Ditto, the French."
            -Bluesman

Heh.
            Last edited by Bluesman; 15 Apr 07,, 23:29.

Comment

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."
              Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern."

-Heinz Guderian
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

"Don't think of youself as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide range of target selection." -- Unknown

"When the pin is out, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." -- Unknown drill sergeant
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

"To the German Commander,Nuts!,the American Commander" General Anthony McAuliffe's reply to German surrender demand at Bastogne "My men can eat their belts, but my tanks gotta have gas." George S. Patton
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Cćdite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Cato

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        "When the pin is out, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." -- Unknown drill sergeant

Isn't this followed by...

"Throw the grenade NOT the pin!"

Comment

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities... It is best to win without fighting.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu
                          Last edited by IDonT; 20 Apr 07,, 20:51.

Comment

"I know I haven't offered you much; sand, heat, scorpions ... but we've shared them together. One more last push, and it is Cairo. And if we fail, ... well, we tried, ... together" - Generalfeldsmarschall Erwin Rommel
                            "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

A few

"General, these are American regulars. In a hundred and fifty years they have never been beaten. They will hold." Col. Preston Brown, C/S, 2nd Infantry Division, the Marne,June 1, 1918, replying to French Gen. Jean DeGoutte’s,

An important difference between a military operation and a surgical operation is that the patient is not tied down. But it is a common fault of generalship to assume that he is.
                              B.H. Liddell Hart

Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake, we must not interrupt him too soon. Lord Nelson

I Have Only One Merit: I Have Forgotten Everything I Have Taught and Everything I Have Learned.

Marshal Of France Ferdinand Foch

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.

Frank Drebben
                              LAPD Police Lieutenant

"At this range, They couldn't hit an elepha…"

Last words of General John Sedgwick, CDR VIth Corps, Army Of The Potomac, 9 May 1864 at the Battle Spotsylvania just as he was shot by a Confederate sniper from 800 yards

If all is not in order, I will hang you despite my personal high regard for you.
                              Field Marshall Aleksandr Suvarov to his Chief of Quartermaster

Without supplies no army is brave.
                              Frederick The Great

What makes a good general? Pay Well. Command Well. Hang Well.

General Sir Ralph Hampton, Cromwell’s Chief of Staff

"It is not by walls that a country is defended, but by the courage of its soldiers."
                              -- Robert Blondel

Nothing concentrates the military mind so much as the discovery that you have walked into an ambush."

LTG Sir Thomas Packenham

If You Cannot Convince Them, Confuse Them. Harry Truman

Beer Is Proof That God Loves Us And Wants Us To Be Happy. Benjamin Franklin

Why IS The Alphabet In That Order? Is It Because Of That Song?

I Have Only One Merit: I Have Forgotten what I have taught and what I learned. Marshal Of France Ferdinand Foch

I never knew what to do with a paper except to put it in a side pocket or pass to a clerk who understood it better than I did. Grant

Success cannot be administered. Admiral Arleigh Burke

However absorbed a commander may be in the elaboration of his own thoughts, it is sometimes necessary to take the enemy into account. Winston Churchill

When the smoke cleared away, it was the man with the sword, or the crossbow, or the rifle, who settled the final issue on the field. George Marshall

A Leader is a dealer in hope. Napoleon

The badge of rank which an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men. Max Taylor

One of the first regulations might be to think. Sherman

I don’t know what effect these men will have on the enemy, but by God, they frighten me! Wellington on replacements

My wounded are behind me and I will never pass them alive. Zachary Taylor

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. Patton

In battle nothing is ever as good or as bad as the first reports of excited men would have it. Field Marshall Viscount Slim

Valour lies halfway between rashness and cowardness Comte de Saxe

Thus terminated the war, and with it all remembrance of the veteran’s services. GEN Sir William Napier (on the British public after the Napleonic Wars)

"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age." Robert Frost

You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3. (Paul F. Crickmore - test pilot)

You are not beaten until you admit it."
                              --George S. Patton
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Let the enemy worry about his flanks.

Patton
                                Battle of the Bulge

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                                X