This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Improved Quality of WAB

Ironduke started the transformation of the WAB with the new board.

It looked more professional and more attractive, apart from access being way faster.

When I joined way back in, heaven knows which year and appears to be a millennium ago, when Ironduke was Ironman only with no impressive title of Burgomaster, I nearly got banned for anti Iraq War sentiments. I was even cautioned by Big Ross to take it easy and look busy! Those were the days when tolerance was sliding on a thin red line and Sniper was a Moderator, who nearly chucked me out. It was Ironman who saved the day and with his indulgence and Pakistani posters I reached the 10K record which not only surprised Sniper, but it surprised me too! So, my grateful thanks to the Pakistanis who allowed me to enter the WAB Hall of Fame, most unwittingly!

It was the Colonel (OoE) who introduced me to WAB (though I forget who actually lured me from the BRF to take on the Colonel). It was his gentlemanly behaviour of openly admitting that he had made an error that made me hang around to realise that this was a great board of gentlemen and not slum folks!

Even so, one had to tread carefully not to step on American toes and more so the Republican views. One had to smile and bear it even though it was not intellectually stimulating. For that one visited other forums.

However not today! Today, WAB is the One Stop place for a variety of views. Very pro American and moderately international too, wherein the US policies are debated without fear of being banned! It speaks highly of the forum, the Administrators and the Moderators. One has to observe the number of posters on this Forum as also the number of members and it keeps growing. It is indeed a good sign since from a very conservative, pro American forum, it has graduated to an international one, where all types of views are available. No wonder it attracts so many and the ranks keep growing.

I can with authority state that many a distinguished persons are lurkers on this board, who cannot contribute owing to their service regulations. That should speak of the credibility of this board as indeed an international board withoit prejudices and with very intellectually stimulating debates.

Obviously,the credit lies at the doorstep of the Administration and Moderators and not to forget Rochen.

As an old timer, I thank them for transforming this forum from the usual banter box of merely Republican vs Democrats to a real wonderful intellectually stimulating forum of international dimensions.

That this forum is attempting to be of intellectual standing and not one of the run of the mill forum is that fact that it has Moderators of nearly all religious affiliation, it has a serving military intellectual Shek who is a serving officer and also an instructor and what was most surprising a Moderator who was not an American - Parihaka! Therefore, if there can be a non US Moderator, it speaks highly of WAB and Parihaka, if I may say so, has Moderated immensely well inviting the wrath of many (westerners and Orientals) since he asks for no quarters and gives none. I have no qualms in stating that I have, on many times, disagreed with him. But as for his fairness and his upholding of fair play, I don't think anyone can complain.

I have only one request, as an ardent fan of WAB, don't kill the international aspect of WAB. Don't make it the run of the mill forum.

Let it be an example of how a forum should be.

I find many clones of WAB in the cyberspace. It does indicate WAB is a landmark of the cyberspace.

I humbly with all humility thank all those including the posters to make WAB a forum and a landmark.

I also applaud the courage of WAB to have an international Moderator, even though I do not agree with many of his views.

I also applaud Rochen, Chris and Ironduke for their courage to face the reality and not the rhetoric alone.

Heavens Bless WAB.
    Last edited by Ray; 11 Apr 07,, 19:04.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

And I second that. wow, not sure if I could ever write something like that.
    Sir,
    My Humble opinion, you could start an online essay writing company or something of that sort, you got a talent that others are looking for.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Jay,

I try to be fair as far as I can.

I used to be an avid fan of some forums.

I dislike extreme views since they don't solve the problems.

WAB has been moderate and very accommodating of various views.

That is why I am addicted to WAB

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Jay,

I try to be fair as far as I can.

I used to be an avid fan of some forums.

I dislike extreme views since they don't solve the problems.

WAB has been moderate and very accommodating of various views.

That is why I am addicted to WAB and that is why I like their choice of Moderators.

I wish they were even more Moderate so that the contrary views are known.

Knowing contrary views alone allows one to shape his reactions to win the world!

This the poor jingoists don't understand and they think that being stupidly bigoted will win the day!

Stupidity knows no national boundaries or communities or religion.

It is all in the genes!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I guess to anybody outside of North America, a Canadian mod seems like an American mod...

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post
            I guess to anybody outside of North America, a Canadian mod seems like an American mod...
            Boxcar, how very true,many people class Canada as North AmericaIt matters not a jot where a Mod comes from as long as they are "fair" to ALL:)

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post

No.

We take our education very seriously and that is why we are making a mark in the world. We know what is Canada and what is the US. Note: 'what' in addition to 'where'.

It is only when we find certain country's poster appearing as 'His Master Voice' (seen the HMV label? ;) ) of the US that we wonder! ;)

And for anyone to expect that the US is right always and every time indicates that they are divorced from understanding the basis of Divinity!
              Last edited by Ray; 11 Apr 07,, 19:59.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ira,

Please note I have praised the WAB because they have a Moslem (Lunatock), a Jew (you) and of course the Christians as Moderators. Thus, there is a check from WAB becoming a hotbed of religious bigots!

Then apart from the usual Americans (and their ancestry is so complicated that they represent nearly half the world and it need not be white), there is Parihaka who is our international representative. A mix of Scotland and wild and exotic native (that is his Maori side which wants the white killed! I saw a Fiji dance to that effect performed none less than Col Sitiveni Rabuka the Fijian Prime Minister!).

Parihaka has weathered many a rebuke from many with his deliberate happy stoic and if I may say, saved this board from extinction! There are many who do not toe the US line and yet they are here and we have benefited form their contrary views.

Lest we forget, we have also benefited from the highly partisan and fact denied views of many jingoists too!

So, in short, if one desire to get educated in divergent views, there is no forum as WAB.

WAB makes you an internationalsexual in the lines of metrosexual etc.

WAB is the One Stop portal for education!

WAB makes you a COMPLETE Man of the world! The international variety without a myopic view of the world and world events.

What more can one want?
                Last edited by Ray; 11 Apr 07,, 20:16.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Parihaka Moderator Join Date: 11-11-04Location: Te Ika a MauiPosts: 5,901 Country: Quote:Originally Posted by xris Also, I don't know what a troll is.x
                  A troll is internet terminology for someone who's only actions are to criticise other members and or their countries actions, often with false or misleading statements, designed to inflame other posters.A troll offers no opinions other than those criticisms, no solutions, and evades any questions aimed at eliciting their constructive opinions, or simply put, how they would have done things differently.Despite my question being directed at another member, you chose to answer it by criticising America's actions and suggesting the country should be tried for it. When I asked you what you would have had done differently and would you be happy with the outcome if Iraq was not invaded, you evaded the question, just as you did with the christian conspiracy/aboriginal genocide statement you made earlier.And it is not up to others to 'judge' whether you should be a member of this board, it is up to me.__________________"In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility"Gottfried Leibniz

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...tml#post364250

I found your thread interesting Ray, in many respects.

I was wondering what to do about the above post of parihaka’s in the above thread, and now I think an open post may be the best response, seeing as it follows on from some of what you said.

Also, please remember that I am fairly new here and am still finding my ground with different posters.

I found parihaka’s post almost offensive, and coming from a moderator I find it quite unacceptable. I am still not too sure if it is meant in a weird humorous way, but if that was the intention then it has not worked.

There is a clear criticism of me for mindless anti-American sniping. Nowhere have I done this although I have criticised the US involvement in Iraq (along with a few million other people.) The comment about putting the US on trial for an unprovoked invasion of a sovereign state is clearly not something that will happen and is clearly meant as a academic line of thought – which I believe has some merit. To try to kill it dead and lambast me as anti-American shows a (how do I say it) strange attitude to free democratic debate as well as a blinkered approach to Inter. Pol. and this site.

I agree with Ray’s comments that WAB is healthier now that it is more international, although I wasn’t around when it was mainly a US site. Unfortunately parihaka’s post does not indicate that.

I am not American, but so what? I have no more feelings for or against Americans than for people from any other country. I am interested in healthy, even rigorous, debate about all matters international, which is why I first chose to post here.

If my posts are going to be twisted, not properly read and used to berate me, and tell me I am going to be banned, then I think it does not reflect well on WAB and leads me to wonder if I should bother wasting my time here.

I have also been accused of not offering anything and of being a ‘troll’.

Well, I am not a military person (GOOD- that will help create a sense of balance to this and any site like this), but I have spent many years studying International issues with a degree in International Politics from a reasonably well regarded and well established institution. I would have thought this means I do know a little bit about what I am talking about and perhaps can also offer a different perspective on some issues being discussed here.

There my ramble ends.

x

Comment

Xris,

If you had joined when I had joined, you would have been banned! That is the holy truth! It was then a Redneck board!

The board has come a long way.

I agree it has to move on; but then nothing is achieved if one forces the push. Let it evolve.

I am not on the Board or connected with it. But I can assure you that this board is in safe hands and in the hands of many an intellectually endowed person. Have faith in them. I am sure our faith in this board will make it better.

Have faith.

I assure you it is a great board and I have not become a topper in posts without having educated myself through rapid fire discussion with a divergent of views that this board has to offer.

Of late, it has become an exciting place for knowledge and views. Very exciting indeed.

To imagine it is 0135 hours where I live and yet I am hanging on, lest I miss something!

Try other boards if you don't believe me.

At times you may feel you have been wronged. It is natural. PM the person and I assure you that you will realise what made him do so.

The Adminstrators, Moderators and the Owners are good chaps. I have experienced the whole set since I assure you I am not the one who takes things lying down and so I had to visit each type that makes this Board.

I can without hesitation state that the folks that own, run and moderate the board are good people and without an agenda!

Help them to help yourself!

Parihaka is not offensive. He is the one who keeps the international aspect of the forum alive before some jingo bans and stifles divergent views and makes it the Redneck humbug that it was.

Obviously, he (Parihaka) has to be moderate to moderate the non moderate!

I don't agree with many issues on what he has to say, but then he has to organise some semblance of moderation!

Give this poor boy a chance!

He does all this for us inspite of having two young children whose time we are snatching away!

Give this noble man who wants international fair play a chance.
                    Last edited by Ray; 11 Apr 07,, 21:19.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ira is a Jew (ZFBoxcar) and Lunatock is a Moslem while the Colonel is a Chinese while Tophatter is of Lebanese descent or so I believe.

I daresay if I can state that they have been partisan by siding with their lot.

So, while they do give us enough ground to get angry, I assure you they do not do so willfully. Mostly by unwitting default. PM them and you will calm down. I have done it many a time and have realised how hamstrung they are trying to be even handed.
                      Last edited by Ray; 11 Apr 07,, 21:25.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                        Parihaka Moderator Join Date: 11-11-04Location: Te Ika a MauiPosts: 5,901 Country: Quote:Originally Posted by xris Also, I don't know what a troll is.x
                        A troll is internet terminology for someone who's only actions are to criticise other members and or their countries actions, often with false or misleading statements, designed to inflame other posters.A troll offers no opinions other than those criticisms, no solutions, and evades any questions aimed at eliciting their constructive opinions, or simply put, how they would have done things differently.Despite my question being directed at another member, you chose to answer it by criticising America's actions and suggesting the country should be tried for it. When I asked you what you would have had done differently and would you be happy with the outcome if Iraq was not invaded, you evaded the question, just as you did with the christian conspiracy/aboriginal genocide statement you made earlier.And it is not up to others to 'judge' whether you should be a member of this board, it is up to me.__________________"In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility"Gottfried Leibniz

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...tml#post364250

I found your thread interesting Ray, in many respects.

I was wondering what to do about the above post of parihaka’s in the above thread, and now I think an open post may be the best response, seeing as it follows on from some of what you said.

Also, please remember that I am fairly new here and am still finding my ground with different posters.

I found parihaka’s post almost offensive, and coming from a moderator I find it quite unacceptable. I am still not too sure if it is meant in a weird humorous way, but if that was the intention then it has not worked.

There is a clear criticism of me for mindless anti-American sniping. Nowhere have I done this although I have criticised the US involvement in Iraq (along with a few million other people.) The comment about putting the US on trial for an unprovoked invasion of a sovereign state is clearly not something that will happen and is clearly meant as a academic line of thought – which I believe has some merit. To try to kill it dead and lambast me as anti-American shows a (how do I say it) strange attitude to free democratic debate as well as a blinkered approach to Inter. Pol. and this site.

I agree with Ray’s comments that WAB is healthier now that it is more international, although I wasn’t around when it was mainly a US site. Unfortunately parihaka’s post does not indicate that.

I am not American, but so what? I have no more feelings for or against Americans than for people from any other country. I am interested in healthy, even rigorous, debate about all matters international, which is why I first chose to post here.

If my posts are going to be twisted, not properly read and used to berate me, and tell me I am going to be banned, then I think it does not reflect well on WAB and leads me to wonder if I should bother wasting my time here.

I have also been accused of not offering anything and of being a ‘troll’.

Well, I am not a military person (GOOD- that will help create a sense of balance to this and any site like this), but I have spent many years studying International issues with a degree in International Politics from a reasonably well regarded and well established institution. I would have thought this means I do know a little bit about what I am talking about and perhaps can also offer a different perspective on some issues being discussed here.

There my ramble ends.

x
                        Okay, time for some housekeeping.

Perhaps you should read this

In brief: I, as a moderator, am sick and tired of perfectly good discussions on a wide variety of topics being destroyed by people with an apparent single agenda, that of abusing America and Americans about the invasion of Iraq.
                        Those members with a history here will remember the Indo-Pak flame wars, and how the entire site was taken over by "India bad/Pakistan bad" arguments, much to the detriment of the site, and it was only the direct action of the then moderators with multiple bannings that calmed the situation down.

America's invasion of Iraq was four years ago: it is not a raison d'etre for winning every argument about every current world crisis, just as the nazi debate as outlined by Godwins law does not win an argument.

It is time to get over it.

If anyone wishes to start a thread about how much they like or dislike America then feel free, but backhanded insults and trolling in threads covering other world topics will not be tolerated by me.
                        It has been pointed out to me that my closing down of those debates and my support of those American policies I approve of is somehow innapropriate, that I should somehow stand back and 'be impartial', especially as I am 'not American'.
                        Sorry, ain't going to happen, I have just as much right to express my opinion on any given subject here as anyone else, my nationality has nothing to do with it: the only caveat being that, like all here, I can actually demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about.

Xris, and other new members.
                        Membership here is not a right purchased with your internet account.
                        This is not a democracy.
                        I do not ban out of hand or many of you wouldn't still be here.
                        My requirements for new members is their ability to demonstrate that they have at least been touched by the light of reason.
                        Other Moderators and administrators have differing criteria.

This forum is an excellent discussion forum for a wide variety of topics and is inhabited by members who are at the top of their respective fields, whether military or civilian. Rest assured that on any given topic there will be another member who is equally well versed in the subject, if not far better.

It is considered polite that when joining this forum you should peruse the forum guidelines and call by the Member Introductions forum to do just that.

Xris specifically, it is only since I have paid specific attention to you that we have learned that you have a degree in International Politics, and this after 32 posts.

Much has also been made recently of Bluesman's often caustic treatment of new members. Given that he works at CENTCOM and that he is a former Master Sergeant he 1) knows what he is talking about, and 2) has a natural inclination to put the pressure on new members to see what they are made of. This is a service he kindly provides for free and I thank him for it.

THREAD CLOSED.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Although Parihaka has quite properly locked this thread, I'm going to jump in for a few quick words.

First, I want to thank Brigadier Ray for his comments on this thread.
                          Almost brings a tear to my eye and certainly makes those frustrating moments worth it and more. Many thanks to you Sir.

And now for the unpleasant business:

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          Xris, and other new members.
                          Membership here is not a right purchased with your internet account.
                          This is not a democracy.
                          I do not ban out of hand or many of you wouldn't still be here.
                          My requirements for new members is their ability to demonstrate that they have at least been touched by the light of reason.
                          Other Moderators and administrators have differing criteria.

It is considered polite that when joining this forum you should peruse the forum guidelines and call by the Member Introductions forum to do just that.

Much has also been made recently of Bluesman's often caustic treatment of new members. Given that he works at CENTCOM and that he is a former Master Sergeant he 1) knows what he is talking about, and 2) has a natural inclination to put the pressure on new members to see what they are made of. This is a service he kindly provides for free and I thank him for it.
                          Well said, good points all. At the risk of sounding condescending, Parihaka has proven to be an excellent moderator.

For all others who are interested:

As they say, this is the big-boy (and girl) board, not a sewing circle.

New members to a private upscale club generally don't last long if they waltz in, toss their jacket to the Maitre d', belly up to bar, start loudly demanding service and spit on the floor whilst ladling out insults to all comers. Right?

So why do people register on Internet boards and do some variation on the above description, large or small, and then cry "BULLY"! when the existing members pounce on them with intent to do damage?

Generally speaking, quietly entering, introducing yourself, courteously greeting existing membership and then slowly working your way into conversation and debates is an amazing way to gain acceptance into...well, ANYWHERE.

People here would do well to remember this one other point: If you have a problem with a Moderator or a decision they've made, take it up via a Private Message.

Arguing with a Mod in public over a board issue is just a really bad idea.

It also happens to be against the Forum Guidelines.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                          X