Zulfiqar 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zulfiqar 3.

Hello, requesting pictures, info, videos or any other material available on this tank.

I'm confused, most articles on the Zulfiqar series describe the Z3 in the same way as the 1 and 2, i.e. a T-72/M60 Hybrid. Others suggest that 'some of them' (by that i'll assume they aren't sure that its the Z3) are either based off or look like the M1A2. I think Wikipedia gives mention of Abrams found in Iraq having elements taken from them.

MK 1 & 2 look closer to the M60 hybrid as described, i'm assuming this one is the same despite the obvious "Abrams" aesthetics?

Tank experts - go to work :)
    Last edited by Jordan88; 02 Apr 07,, 01:50.

Has Iraq or Iran ever manage to get hold on a intact M1 tank for reverse engineering? If not, the similarities with the Abrams are superficial.

How reverse engineerable are the destroyed remains of tanks that the Americans leave behind?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Has Iraq or Iran ever manage to get hold on a intact M1 tank for reverse engineering? If not, the similarities with the Abrams are superficial.

How reverse engineerable are the destroyed remains of tanks that the Americans leave behind?
      Depends on the state of the wreck, i suppose.

Comment

Looks like a mock up to me
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

@ Jordan

I dont see whats the point of reverse-engineering an Abram with is mighty gas turbine engine that sucks quite bit of fuel. It goes against Iranian doctrine of using cheaper armored vehicules and tanks. If Iran ever achieves some sort of hegemony in the middle east, then perhapes they can look back work to improve considerably the quality of their tanks. Simply put, an Abram or its exact copy is not within the level of Iran's international ambition yet. Iran's international ambitions is projected still in the form of gureilla but on larger scale - for the lack of better term. It is fluid and not established, and it should remain fluid as long as we have the world superpower as our enemy.

As far as the Zulfaqr as far as I know, it was never used in any Iranian ground maneuvers, and an military parades it was always on the back of a trailer, so I presume it is far from finished.

Comment

Is it me or is the main gun pointed backwards?

Comment

Yeah, it's facing backwards so it can fit properly on the vehicle that's carrying it.

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                @ Jordan

I dont see whats the point of reverse-engineering an Abram with is mighty gas turbine engine that sucks quite bit of fuel. It goes against Iranian doctrine of using cheaper armored vehicules and tanks. If Iran ever achieves some sort of hegemony in the middle east, then perhapes they can look back work to improve considerably the quality of their tanks. Simply put, an Abram or its exact copy is not within the level of Iran's international ambition yet. Iran's international ambitions is projected still in the form of gureilla but on larger scale - for the lack of better term. It is fluid and not established, and it should remain fluid as long as we have the world superpower as our enemy.

As far as the Zulfaqr as far as I know, it was never used in any Iranian ground maneuvers, and an military parades it was always on the back of a trailer, so I presume it is far from finished.

I'm not saying anything neither here nor there on potential of Iran reverse engineering the M1A2, hardly the best machine for ME terrains - rather i'm just interesting in this model in general.

I have heard it has been shown in manoeuvres on Iranian TV. As for the picture, its not unusual for Iranian parades to move their hardware around on the backs of lorries whether or finished or not. I've seen them move around Shahab trucks on the rear of other trucks during parades, as well as T-72's etc.

I do agree though that this particular picture is in all probability a mock-up. I also agree that this tank wouldn't play a large role in their defense, currently. I'm sure they'd revert to their uprated T-72's.

Comment

I really dont know much about Zulfaqr. nor there is much to know about it.

Though, IMHO it is more like a project that didnt get anywhere and there wasnt much intrest in it. But you are right that in parades, they all use trailers to move the Shahab-3 launchers-trailer. Looks a bit funny :)

Comment

That looks like a mock up.

Specifically:

1. Look at the left side of the photo where the left front track of the tank meets the carrier's frame. Why is it overlapped like that? The track can't be that narrow.

2. Where is the driver hatch and his periscope ports?

3. In fact, where are the ports for the commander and the loader? And the ports for the fire control system?

Superficially it looks a lot like an Abrams from the angle of the turret to the 7 road wheels and the rear mounted drive sprocket.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

It is not hard build tank that look like similar as Abrams.
                      Take a look first T-72 and T-90 take out nice electronics of T-90 and ERA you would get to eye very similar tank. But only for upper skin if we cut skin you will see big difference T-90 have advanced armor and better engine, plus advanced crew protection from ammo detonation. So if T-90 meet Abrams it could be much harder for Abrams to kill it that old T-72 even if they look same.

Same could be say about Zulfiqar 3 yes it look like Abrams (well turret is very similar) body to looks more like Leopard 2.
                      But what is under skin of tank? Is armor close to M1A2 ? I dont think so. What about gun and more important round is it close to silver bullet? Hard. One thing is surely better it is engine. I always prefer diesel over turbine. If you can buy MTU 1500HP why you need turbine. Earlier I was supporter of turbine but only in US M1A2 because US army need turbine because of some advantages over diesel (easy repair and fueling with almost any variant of oil) but now I think it is time even for US to consider MTU diesel engines or some ISUZU stronger diesel engines.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        That looks like a mock up.

Specifically:

1. Look at the left side of the photo where the left front track of the tank meets the carrier's frame. Why is it overlapped like that? The track can't be that narrow.

2. Where is the driver hatch and his periscope ports?

3. In fact, where are the ports for the commander and the loader? And the ports for the fire control system?

Superficially it looks a lot like an Abrams from the angle of the turret to the 7 road wheels and the rear mounted drive sprocket.
                        agreed just to lazy to write it
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Why rev-enging an Abrams? Did they do it for the looks only, as in "look, I'm cool too, I have Nike sneakers" or did they really rev-eng wrecks with the goal of getting a good tank?
                          Last edited by entropy; 03 Apr 07,, 00:15. Reason: former version was incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            Why rev-enging an Abrams? Did they do it for the looks only, as in "look, I'm cool too, I have Nike sneakers" or did they really rev-eng wrecks with the goal of getting a good tank?
                            Entropy, like I said ...

it is most probably a project that didnt get anywhere ..... but I believe they do quite a bit of rev-engineering in Iran, considering the fact they cannot purchase anything from States, and they purchase little Russia as well. Must be the lesson that they learned during the Iran-iraq war, which taught them not to be dependent to any nation.

Comment

Just an off the wall sugestion, but what if it was just one of them crazy "brain storming" ideas that comes out once in awhile, build them in sufficient numbers, place them all over the place to cause some confusion and doubt....decoys?..... cause a few more blue on blues....hesitation in opening fire etc etc.............just a thought
                              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Working...
                              X