Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Old Jubilee was a bit ahrd on the Old War Horse.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Wert & Chamberlain

Just got Jeffrey Wert's SWORD OF LINCOLN & Joshua Chamberlain's THE PASSING OF THE ARMIES.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Gettysburg-Sears great account of the battle.

Comment

Sears

Great writer...LOUSY speaker!
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Yes, Old Jubilee was a bit ahrd on the Old War Horse.
            Ironic since Lee fired Early late in the war, but never fired Longstreet.

Comment

How the South Could Have Won the Civil War: The Fatal Errors That Led to Confederate Defeat by Bevin Alexander

Comment

Though I haven't read Stephen Crane's 1895 novel "Red Badge of Courage", it was made into a terrific movie starring Audie Murphy (highest decorated soldier of WW II) as a somewhat cowardly union soldier and the legendary "Willie and Joe" cartoonist Bill Maulden.

The scene where the Confederate flag bearer is shot down and still tries to hold the flag up was a tear jerker for my first wife (half was Southerner besides Hawaiin) as Audie grabs the flag and lets it float over the fallen Confederate. My wife was yelling, "Don't let it touch the ground."

Stephen Crane has been lauded for over a century now as having written one of the most realistic books of the Civil War, without ever having served in uniform himself. It was not intended to be a log book of battles and historical accuracy, but a story of what it was like to be a common soldier in that war.

Or for any war for that matter.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

" CO Aytch"

A personal memior of Sam Watkins, an enlisted confederate soldier. No better description of the life of the common soldier. Watkins fought with his regiment from 1861-1865 in nearly every major battle fought in the west. Was one of only seven of the original 120 men still in the ranks at wars end. A great read from the little picture rather than the big picture most books cover.
                  Backbone and Common Sense

Comment

Here's the book to read if you want a single one covering the Overland Campaign: Amazon.com: And Keep Moving On: The Virginia Campaign, May-June 1864 (Great Campaigns of the Civil War) (9780803271197): Mark Grimsley: Books

Any suggestions for the Petersburg Campaign?
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Amazon.com: The Last Citadel: Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865 (9780807118610): Noah Andre Trudeau: Books

In my opinion, Andy Trudeau's The Last Citadel is still the best single volume on the campaign.

However, look next year for a 2 volume campaign history done by Will Greene. Will wrote a masterful history of the breakthrough battles on 2 APR 65 called Breaking the Backbone of Rebellion

Amazon.com: The Final Battles of the Petersburg Campaign: Breaking the Backbone of the Rebellion (9781572336100): A. Wilson Greene: Books

I have only scanned Earl Hess' latest offering but if you want to get a little more into the specifis of the tactics with regard to use of fortifications this new volume comes highly recommended.

Amazon.com: In the Trenches at Petersburg: Field Fortifications and Confederate Defeat (Civil War America) (9780807832820): Earl J. Hess: Books
                      Mark Twain

Comment

i like reading the shelby foote books.
                        Last edited by biteasaur; 29 Oct 09,, 16:35.

Comment

Looking for an assist

This is hopelessly vague as it was first read by me about 30 years ago - and unfort I can't remember sufficient detail to try and track it down via my own resources

I've read a number of books on the technologies and logistics issues of the CW/WBS .

One of them was a dusk coloured book with an old photo of Union engineers at work. what was interesting about this book was that it timelined all the new technologies and logistics concepts developed or used during the war and the impact that these had on modern war in the 20th century.

unfort I cannot remember one iota of detail out side of this, but I am keen to try and track either it down, or something of similar quality.

eg it covered off all new weapons systems devs. the use of rail, the impact of the use of rail, some of the engineering feats which would prev have been regarded as unworkable etc...

any help appreciated.

gf
                          Last edited by gf0012-aust; 21 Jan 10,, 20:58.
                          Linkeden:
                          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                            Looking for an assist

This is hopelessly vague as it was first read by me about 30 years ago - and unfort I can't remember sufficient detail to try and track it down via my own resources

I've read a number of books on the technologies and logistics issues of the CW/WBS .

One of them was a dusk coloured book with an old photo of Union engineers at work. what was interesting about this book was that it timelined all the new technologies and logistics concepts developed or used during the war and the impact that these had on modern war in the 20th century.

unfort I cannot remember one iota of detail out side of this, but I am keen to try and track either it down, or something of similar quality.

eg it covered off all new weapons systems devs. the use of rail, the impact of the use of rail, some of the engineering feats which would prev have been regarded as unworkable etc...

any help appreciated.

gf
                            Might it be 'The American Civil War & the Origins of Modern Warfare' by Edward Hagerman (Indiana University Press 1988) ?

Good luck.

p.s. could you p.m. me the website where you are a moderator. Probably too milprofessional for me to post much, but I might learn something.

Ta.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              Might it be 'The American Civil War & the Origins of Modern Warfare' by Edward Hagerman (Indiana University Press 1988) ?
                              Thanks BF. Not the one, but I have read it and its a very good read across broad issues.

gf
                              Linkeden:
                              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Great thread. I am giving this a bump and I have a good pretext--I am reading McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom suggested by the first post of this thread and completely struck with awe. Contentious he may be, few historians today can match this man's depth and breadth of knowledge, prose and clarity. I am struck by the sheer physicality of foot-mobile warfare. I will read Fuller's Lee and Grant very soon...
                                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X